UKBouldering.com

Throwing mats down (Read 5032 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#25 Re: Throwing mats down
September 09, 2022, 10:32:04 pm
I wasn’t in the mood for a discussion as I was on the stopwatch but I made my feelings quite clear.

andy moles

• forum abuser
#26 Re: Throwing mats down
September 10, 2022, 07:40:55 am
Dust! You're lucky.

When I throw my pads down (actually I prefer to throw them up, in order to attain more velocity) they go squelch and get stuck.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Throwing mats down
September 10, 2022, 07:59:34 am
Good morning all
In order to span several threads i have devised a Memorial Throw down to be held at an auspicious time over the weekend, this will be decided by the Royal Astrologer{Mystic Meg!, apologies for the fading cultural reference....actually is she still alive?} and will ask any "right" thinking boulderer to attend.
A gold embossed Moon pad will be made and used {The Moon Ma'am} as suggested by His Royal Highness the Dutchie on the Right-hand side and using a step ladder of your choice, it is to be launched in a great arc of togetherness signifying our beloved Queen's last flight from this earthly realm to the next.   
The pads eventual return to earth will be akin to the biggest mike drop there has ever been, showing our overall subservience to our betters, those without pads may avert there eyes or with eyes clenched shut applaud in fevered revelry until the dust settles and covers our stricken bodies in deserved filth.
In Scotland there will be a mighty splat as there is as always "Nae dry grund". i have used this opportunity to capture the psychotic masses and sell the subsequent mud and grime facial as Scatological footage to try and reimburse the day i lost gainfully employed scrubbing the gimlets from my Laird's undermunge.

Carry on

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#28 Re: Throwing mats down
September 10, 2022, 08:20:46 am
When I throw my mats down while bouldering in coastal areas my intended display of manly prowess is often diminished as I emit a small yelp of terror while watching them roll downhill and wondering whether they will stop before bouncing off the cliff into the sea.

andy popp

• forum hero
#29 Re: Throwing mats down
September 10, 2022, 09:47:45 am
You know who really get my goat! People who won't talk to you at the crag because they're too busy timing themselves. That's who!

(only kidding Simon)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#30 Re: Throwing mats down
September 12, 2022, 08:22:53 am
When I throw my mats down while bouldering in coastal areas my intended display of manly prowess is often diminished as I emit a small yelp of terror while watching them roll downhill and wondering whether they will stop before bouncing off the cliff into the sea.

This. Or they invariably bounce towards the nearest bright green rock pool.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#31 Re: Throwing mats down
September 12, 2022, 10:34:04 am
That time I was on Barrel Buttress at Helsby and looked up to see a full weight pad bouncing down the hill towards me. The irony if I'd been taken out by a piece of safety equipment. Never slam on a slope kids.

CapitalistPunter

• addict
#32 Re: Throwing mats down
September 18, 2022, 07:12:47 pm
However, turn up at an occupied crag and throw your mats down individually making noise and dust comes across as here I am, look at me, I own this place...

This is quite funny to read from someone who may legally qualify for squatters rights under Ben's Roof.  :)

I've slept there before, good nights sleep.

Eddies

• forum hero
#33 Re: Throwing mats down
September 21, 2022, 11:11:01 am
A friend and I were at the far left end of Toddy's wall at froggatt last winter when a couple of lads launched their pads down from the top of the crag... one pad cartwheeled right past us and off down into the woods... nearly took us out!!!
Incredible.... the young lads didnt see any problem in what they had done, and even chuckled at us after we left them to it!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#34 Re: Throwing mats down
September 21, 2022, 11:17:23 am
There are definitely mat throwing ethics. It should be done with care, for maximum dramatic impact and superficial destruction, but without actual danger and risk to the audience.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal