UKBouldering.com

Pigeons cave bouldering access (Read 3592 times)

yetix

• forum abuser
Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 06, 2021, 01:28:32 pm
Hi, I'm wondering about pigeons cave access at this time of year as I've seen some content from high profile climbers and organisations recently climbing at the fish pie bloc. I was under the impression that access here was supposed to stop on the 1st of September due to the seals pupping and have seen in videos from these groups seals are there. Has something changed in terms of access, or is access to the bloc allowed, but not to the cave? And if this is the case does the the guide, RAD and UKC need to be updated accordingly?

Kingy

• forum hero
#1 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 06, 2021, 06:08:29 pm
According to the BMC RAD, no bouldering due to the seals is permitted from 1 Sept - 1 Jan. Between 1 Jan and 30 April, you are allowed to boulder but must approach other than via Pidgeon's Cave, where restrictions are in place until 30 April.

I would imagine that if these restrictions were to be varied, this would be reflected in the RAD.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 06, 2021, 06:34:15 pm
I've been in touch. Not clear when the filming took place but the vids have been taken down.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 06, 2021, 06:42:20 pm
The UKC logbooks for the problems on that face make for interesting reading dates wise!

User deactivated

• stalker
#4 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 06, 2021, 07:34:48 pm
Hopefully people who go next year will start off the right holds. ;)

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 01:44:45 pm
Video still appears to be up, albeit with comments disabled? Really not happy about this, setting a bad example.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#6 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 01:53:24 pm
Video still appears to be up, albeit with comments disabled? Really not happy about this, setting a bad example.

Looks like they just edited the bit with the seal out and reposted it, they could have at least put a fake date on too🤣

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#7 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 01:56:04 pm
Comments seem to be open on YouTube still. Pretty entitled behaviour, if they filmed it when it was allowed just say so. Otherwise admit you fucked up and take the vids down  :shrug:

James Malloch

• forum hero
#8 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 02:23:48 pm
Comments seem to be open on YouTube still. Pretty entitled behaviour, if they filmed it when it was allowed just say so. Otherwise admit you fucked up and take the vids down  :shrug:

I don’t think it needs the video taking down. I think just a big headline message saying they messed up and that these are the rules as per the RAD. Seeing this, and other recent IG videos, has made me keen to go down (in fact I nearly went whilst in Wales last month).

Maybe I would have noticed it had I checked the guide but given I knew the problems, how to get there and where to park there’s a good chance I wouldn’t have checked the guide before actually getting there, or at all.

andy_e

• forum hero
#9 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 02:27:45 pm
Yes, I'd prefer acknowledging a fuck up and apologising, than covering it up. We all make mistakes, but doubling down on it is not the way forward.

Bradders

• forum hero
#10 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 02:35:57 pm
Yes, I'd prefer acknowledging a fuck up and apologising, than covering it up. We all make mistakes, but doubling down on it is not the way forward.

100% this. Anyone know them and able to have a word?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#11 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 02:54:24 pm

This  :thumbsup:

ducko

• junky
#12 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 03:15:37 pm
You can approach from behind the blocs which means you can dodge pigeons cave where the seals generally chill
Also, claiming that thing as an fa is a bit of a reach seems like any obscure variation qualifies these days  ::)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#13 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 03:53:03 pm
Seems fair to me. The variant looks to be the easiest way up the face without the aretes, and they've gone with a hybrid name.

Doylo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 03:59:33 pm
You can approach from behind the blocs which means you can dodge pigeons cave where the seals generally chill

Well there was a seal there as they scared it off !
Pigeons cave / cove restrictions are Sept 1st to end of april no access. The boulders beyond - Porth yr Helyg is restricted Sept 1st to January 1st no access.

ducko

• junky
#15 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 04:03:19 pm
Seems fair to me. The variant looks to be the easiest way up the face without the aretes, and they've gone with a hybrid name.

I’d say it’s got to be as tough as 14 years sit - as long as they’re having fun I’ll stop being kill joy

I didn’t see the first edit with the seal, I’ll fetch the cat of nine tails

Teaboy

• forum hero
#16 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 11, 2021, 09:20:09 pm

I didn’t see the first edit with the seal, I’ll fetch the cat of nine tails

Aren't clubs more effective?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#17 Re: Pigeons cave bouldering access
October 12, 2021, 05:26:54 pm
As an aside, I spent some time chatting to the SealGuy at Ravenscar recently. Just because the seals are sitting there looking at you doesn't mean they aren't stressed. They may be the weaker seals resting and making a judgment call as to whether it's better to get away from you vs burning more calories and blubber stores in the water.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal