UKBouldering.com

Best 7th grade boulder problems in Scotland (Read 6162 times)

Wicamoi

Fine effort at a list, but there clearly remains scope for further honing when, for example, the one-and-not-even-any-good-move-wonder of Reiver's Logic appears for Lednock while the puzzling, aesthetic delight of Afraid of the Wave remains on the bench.

Pushme Poolewe is too good to be absent. Spanking the Monkey is excellent but belongs to a list of 6th grade problems - we've all climbed harder 5A slabs in Font - but Monkey Spanking is good enough, and just about hard enough, to replace it. Meanwhile Slap Happy does not belong on any list at all, but should be stored inside, shame-facedly, next to ones first botched attempt at a campus board.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me though!

PlainCroi$$ant

Agree with Reiverís Logic/Afraid of the Wave

tc

• junky
Keep It Unreal is a much better problem than Reiver's Logic. One of the best at Lednock.

JackMcKechnie

It's maybe worth mentioning that Broadsword at Glen Massan is on the list but I don't think it is really the same as when Dave MacLeod first did it. I went to try it this summer and it looked to me like a lot of it had broken. Maybe I was trying to climb the wrong line but Rapier breaks here:

and Rapier and Broadsword share holds. I reckoned it was still possible to get up what I thought was Broadsword but maybe itís not as good as it was in the past. Can't see anywhere that anyone's done it after Dave Mac to tell but maybe someone on here knows more.

Stewart

• menacing presence
Good knowledge Jack. I'll remove Broadsword then, looks like an opening for 'If not know when' or 'Pushme Poolewe' as i don't see anything else at Glen Massan to replace it.

Will also swap reviers logic but there's a chance i might head to glen lednock on sat so i'll have a look at the two other contenders!

GazM

• obsessive maniac
    • Highland ramblings
Given that Pushme-Poolewe has had quite a few repeats and there seems seems be a general concensus on its quality it might be a better addition.
However, if If Not Now does get chosen it will need putting on UKC. Or maybe not. It could be like the inclusion of The Scoop in Hard Rock to make it really hard to complete the list. A complete unknown that no-one can ever find.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
A complete unknown that no-one can ever find.
Sounds like the general state of play about 90% of Scottish bouldering (and information) when I was exiled up there!!

GazM

• obsessive maniac
    • Highland ramblings
If too many people know where stuff is they'll keep it too clean and I'll have to give up my wire-brushing habit. Can't have that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal