UKBouldering.com

Dog Friendly Crags (Read 3388 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Dog Friendly Crags
September 17, 2021, 02:35:48 pm
Did a search etc and know for a fact that there's a load of dog owners on here so couldn't believe there wasn't already a thread for this!

However, we did the classic lock down thing of finally getting a hound (a beautiful lurcher if you're interested) and he's passed his local crag apprenticeship so keen to get a list of dog friendly crags a little further afield together. Just to clarify that by dog friendly I mean I fully expect the dog to be on lead at all these crags for the vast majority of the time due to his prey drive.

I thought it might be worth having a friendly list, and a not-friendly list. Please feel free to add to these;

Dog Friendly

•   Blackstone Edge - well pretty much all the Lancs grit crags
•   The Churnet
•   All the local sandstone – Pex, Frodsham, Helsby etc
•   Most North Walian mountain crags
•   Wimberry? Rest of the Dovestones area?

Not Dog Friendly

•   Goldsborough (probably anywhere in the North Pennines!)
•   Thorn Crag - (also Windy Clough etc)

JamieG

• forum hero
#1 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 17, 2021, 03:14:28 pm
•   Wimberry? Rest of the Dovestones area?

Wimberry (and pretty much the whole Dovestone) area is pretty dog friendly. Dovestone reservoir is a popular dog walking spot anyway. Only a couple slight provisos, there are occasional sheep around (not so much at Wimberry boulders but at some of the other areas). They release, and at certain times of year shoot, pheasant and partridge around the upper reservoir, so paths around there get shut and dogs need to be on a short lead. But I've never had any issues taking my dogs.

crzylgs

• stalker
#2 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 17, 2021, 05:42:43 pm
The Churnet - Could use an asterix or 3 - As far as I know dogs are banned from Wright's Rock area since the land changed hands.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/wrights_rock_area-904

The rest of it is pretty great for dogs.

andy popp

• forum hero
#3 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 17, 2021, 09:50:41 pm
What about cats? I once went to Malham with Paul "Frodo" Laughlin, who had his beautiful tabby point Siamese with him. She ranged far and wide throughout the day, but always came back.

Personally, I don't really want to share crags with dogs unless I'm with and know the owners, having been properly attacked by someone's dog at Burbage South, and menaced several times since.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#4 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 17, 2021, 09:55:55 pm
Around Yorkshire I’ve found:

Shipley Glen - perfect to throw balls down the hill whilst bouldering.

Baildon Moor - loads of dog walkers anyway so fine with dogs.

Yew Cogar - often sheep at the top of the hill but loads of space to run around at the crag.

Trollers Gill - less space to run but quite confined and fine for dogs to be off if quiet.

In Cumbria, chapel head scar was amazing. Launch a ball down the hill and start climbing. Though lots of ticks discovered in the following days…

SamT

• forum hero
#5 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 17, 2021, 11:21:44 pm

Any crag where I'm not... :P

Just a bit curious as to what you mean by 'dog friendly crag'.

Without wanting to get too scroogy about it, I've had a few ruined days at the crag because someones mutt has ruined it  (or more accurately, someones inability to control their mutt couple with their inability to sense that we weren't really into having a wet dog come and shake itself over us, root around in the rope bag etc etc)

One if my biggest bug bears is the fact that the vast majority of owners assume that everyone simply loves dogs, "oh don't mind him, he's just being friendly" (or as I see it, really fecking annoying).

So Just want to put it out there that a dog with a well behaved dog/owner would most likely be no problem at any crag, but a 'let loose to roam around bug other people' dog might be a problem at any crag.

As you can probably tell, I really don't like dogs that much. 

Anyway, slightly off topic, sorry.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#6 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 18, 2021, 08:04:33 am

Any crag where I'm not... :P

Just a bit curious as to what you mean by 'dog friendly crag'.

Without wanting to get too scroogy about it, I've had a few ruined days at the crag because someones mutt has ruined it  (or more accurately, someones inability to control their mutt couple with their inability to sense that we weren't really into having a wet dog come and shake itself over us, root around in the rope bag etc etc)

One if my biggest bug bears is the fact that the vast majority of owners assume that everyone simply loves dogs, "oh don't mind him, he's just being friendly" (or as I see it, really fecking annoying).

So Just want to put it out there that a dog with a well behaved dog/owner would most likely be no problem at any crag, but a 'let loose to roam around bug other people' dog might be a problem at any crag.

As you can probably tell, I really don't like dogs that much. 

Anyway, slightly off topic, sorry.

I’d agree with all this. My examples above were places where I’m happy to let ours off knowing he’s not going to get to a road/sheep etc.

But that’s when I’m with people I know, the only others at the crags have got dogs (and okay with it being off), or we’re climbing in a 3 and one can be chief ball thrower.

Otherwise he gets tied up until I’ve time to play between RP etc.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 18, 2021, 09:17:20 am
Useful topic, especially in the context of Sam T's objections. It could be expanded / clarified a bit...

In general it seems almost all non-sea-cliff crags are dog-friendly, so it's maybe easier to list those that specifically AREN'T (especially ones where dogs are specifically banned or specifically lead-restricted as an access agreement). But it could also be useful to list ones that are semi-dog-friendly but with some warnings / provisos.

E.g.

"Chee Dale Cornice - partly dog friendly BUT next to river and busy with climbers / walkers so well-controlled dogs only"

"Malham Catwalk - partly dog friendly BUT limited space and a drop beneath so no idiot dogs that are going to jump off / push people off"

"Raven Tor - partly dog friendly BUT right next to road so if your dog has car-chasing tendencies then tie the daft sod up"

Also this thread could be used to highlight any confrontations / access agreement changes wrt dogs.

mburke

#8 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 18, 2021, 09:27:19 am
I've always wanted to take my dogs out bouldering, seems like a good opportunity to get a walk in for them at the same time. But the most well-behaved one just desperately tries to scramble up the rock after me, whilst yelping. Which at best is really annoying to everyone else, at worst, it's a slab and he actually gets a reasonable way up before falling.

Specific locations aside, I'd imagine the most dog-friendly time would be early in the morning. Fewer people about.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#9 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 20, 2021, 08:22:43 am
Thanks for the replies!

I think I mean dog friendly in terms of "not dog banned" more than anything but responses like James's above really helpful as are Sam T's!

For 90-100% of the time, the hound has his usual morning run and then spends most of his time at the crag tethered.

Also. most of my climbing these days involves longer walk-ins, more esoteric venues i.e. I prefer to go to venues where I haven't been before and less people.

Always good to try and understand other people's points of view too - especially where they have had significantly bad experiences!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#10 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 20, 2021, 08:40:56 am
 Craig-y-longridge - dogs are banned.

Found this out this weekend after a missing comma in the guide which said something like “no dogs or climbing before 10am and after 9pm”…

Crookrise - dogs are allowed, but you’re not allowed them on the approach over the Bolton Abbey estate.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#11 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 20, 2021, 08:55:08 am
Did you have a run in with the residents?

I'm sure I quite frequently see dogs on Barden Moor but maybe that's only on certain bits of it? Maybe you could carry them to the crag if required!

jshaw

• addict
#12 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 20, 2021, 08:55:53 am
Kentmere - dogs not allowed at Badger Rock but the other areas were fine. Has convenient caves to hide all your stuff and go for a walk.

36chambers

• forum hero
#13 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 20, 2021, 11:25:40 am
Craig-y-longridge - dogs are banned.

Found this out this weekend after a missing comma in the guide which said something like “no dogs or climbing before 10am and after 9pm”…

It's surprising that dogs are banned at Longridge since the BMC owns the place.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 20, 2021, 02:41:12 pm
E.g.

"Chee Dale Cornice - partly dog friendly BUT next to river and busy with climbers / walkers so well-controlled dogs only"

"Malham Catwalk - partly dog friendly BUT limited space and a drop beneath so no idiot dogs that are going to jump off / push people off"

"Raven Tor - partly dog friendly BUT right next to road so if your dog has car-chasing tendencies then tie the daft sod up"

Also this thread could be used to highlight any confrontations / access agreement changes wrt dogs.

Tiresome. Are you going to include venues that aren't suitable for:
hammocks?
deck chairs?
many children?
Grandma plus full picnic?

Didn't think so.

Longridge does make me chuckle; it isn't that two wrongs make a right but those dwellings have planning that's contingent on seasonal occupancy that is clearly flaunted.  :tumble:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#15 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 20, 2021, 02:47:42 pm
Don't be rude. You know I like daghs, a lot more than I like people. I was thinking of ways that this thread could be more informative, given that - with all due respect to Fatneck, highlighting the difference between, say, Blackstone Edge that's wild walker-infested moorland, and Longridge where dogs are banned, is a bit basic. If you've never been to some of the crags I mentioned you might not know whether they'll suit your pooch.

Feel free to start a thread about hammocks and deck chairs though!

SamT

• forum hero
#16 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 20, 2021, 03:25:13 pm

hammocks
deck chairs
many children
Grandma plus full picnic

That entirely accurately describes the planation at stanage last time I went, so perhaps not a bad topic thread to start.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#17 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 20, 2021, 07:18:17 pm
Did you have a run in with the residents?

I'm sure I quite frequently see dogs on Barden Moor but maybe that's only on certain bits of it? Maybe you could carry them to the crag if required!

We had them tied up and they were super quiet so all was okay. A very short session and someone (climber not resident) mentioned it to us. So won’t be going back with them.

36chambers

• forum hero
#18 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 20, 2021, 08:59:16 pm
How's non-coastal north wales in general for dogs? Any major crags where they are banned?

A quick flick through the 2017 guide and I've yet to see them mentioned anywhere. We also won't be letting the hound off the lead at any point.

MikeSilverstone

#19 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 21, 2021, 07:42:38 am
Is anyone clued in on whether doggos are allowed at Kilnsey? I could have sworn I read somewhere (maybe Rockfax?) that they were banned altogether. Can't see anything immediately obvious on UKC or the RAD access notes about it & googling just comes up with a BMC article from 2016 saying they should be on leads.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#20 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 21, 2021, 08:02:28 am
I've met several dogs at the crag and have been told by the owners that it is now okay. Although I haven't found anything officialm

Paul B

• forum hero
#21 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 21, 2021, 10:14:47 am
Is anyone clued in on whether doggos are allowed at Kilnsey? I could have sworn I read somewhere (maybe Rockfax?) that they were banned altogether. Can't see anything immediately obvious on UKC or the RAD access notes about it & googling just comes up with a BMC article from 2016 saying they should be on leads.

Yes they're allowed. It's open access land.

Regarding leads you sometimes (rarely these days?) get livestock kicking about. Likewise at times there's ground nesting birds. People have also got a bit fed up with off lead dogs crapping on the bank below N Buttress and other areas after walking in it  belaying etc.

Paul B

• forum hero
#22 Re: Dog Friendly Crags
September 21, 2021, 10:50:09 am

hammocks
deck chairs
many children
Grandma plus full picnic

That entirely accurately describes the planation at stanage last time I went, so perhaps not a bad topic thread to start.

I'm self-aware enough (these days) to realise that although many of those things I'm not keen on, it's basically none of my business what others choose to do (unless they're trashing the place). Likewise I think suggesting venues where people would prefer dogs aren't taken is a bit of a  :worms:.

Quite concerning to see people walking into Widdop on Fri night with a fire pit still in the box on one shoulder and carrying bags of firewood! Thankfully they were completely open and receptive to being told that it wasn't the best plan.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal