UKBouldering.com

Kindle conundrum (Read 3639 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#25 Re: Kindle conundrum
September 16, 2021, 03:15:49 pm
Which kobo do you have jwi?

Kobo Aura One with a  7.8” screen. I do not think they sell them anymore unfortunately.

I feel that 8 inches is basically the minimum usable size. I would look for a used Aura One or splurge on a Kobo Elipsa with a 10.3" screen if I lost mine tomorrow. I would never accept smaller screen than what I have. 7 inch is useless and 6 inch is a joke.

Durbs

• forum hero
#26 Re: Kindle conundrum
September 16, 2021, 04:15:51 pm
As nearly everyone says... They're fantastic, with a few caveats; never going to buy an e-cooking book, or travel guide - the lack of ability to skim through pages, or flick back and forth make this unworkable.

I've got a Paperwhite, 3rd, maybe 4th edition - love it. The backlight is comfortable to read in near-darkness without disturbing the otherhalf. I don't see the need for waterproofing, either don't read on a lilo in the sea/pool, or if reading in the bath, don't nod off.

I am an Amazon whore though - the individual convenience : global disaster ratio is too heavily skewed at good customer service (sorry...).

Duma

• forum hero
#27 Re: Kindle conundrum
September 16, 2021, 08:29:39 pm
Do others agree with jwi on the size thing? Gets a bit out of budget over 7"

remus

• forum hero
#28 Re: Kindle conundrum
September 16, 2021, 08:43:06 pm

Depends what you're doing I guess but I find day to day reading on a 6" screen fine.

chris j

• forum abuser
#29 Re: Kindle conundrum
September 16, 2021, 10:32:01 pm

No, not really. I've been using a Kobo glo for years, with a Nook  and a Sony (both discontinued) before that since ~2010. For me the 6" screen has been fine and I prefer the lighter weight for holding in one hand when reading lying down (less pain when I fall asleep and drop it on my face...).
I went with the Sony originally as a conscientious objector to the Amazon ecosystem, though Rakuten/Kobo has hoovered up most of the non-amazon ebook sellers over the years so there isn't much of a difference anymore. Conversely my wife has always been kindle. We both do 99% of our reading (fiction) on the ebooks now. Cookbooks and reading for the children are all on paper though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal