UKBouldering.com

Caving with a 6 year old in the peak (Read 1524 times)

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
Caving with a 6 year old in the peak
September 14, 2021, 06:42:00 pm
Hi All, I took my son to Stoney the other day and he was buzzing to have a look in the caves. I'd love to take him real caving there but I'm not really a caver so I don't know what I'm doing. I've looked into group 'experiences' but they seem to be really expensive...about 50 quid per person.

Does anyone know of a good way of doing it? Or if anyone here (who knows what they're doing) fancies taking me and the lad down in return for beers / chocolate etc that would be fab :)

Cheers!

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#1 Re: Caving with a 6 year old in the peak
September 14, 2021, 06:49:39 pm
Hi ben, we’ve taken Tommy down the entrance series of giants, as far as the head of garlands pot a couple of times. The second time was with Alder and Etta (if you happen to know them, one a bit older and one a bit younger than Tommy, if you don’t). We’d be happy for you and your lad to join us next time we go. It probably won’t be giants again (radon issues), but it’ll be somewhere else local.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 Re: Caving with a 6 year old in the peak
September 14, 2021, 10:54:09 pm
The through cave up on Windy Ledge at Stoney is good fun. I took Spike though there when he was as young as 4 I think. Slightly sketchy scramble up to the ledge but not too bad. Be careful on the exit as it opens out to a a drop.
As already said by Andy, Giant's as far as the waterfall is ideal. You can't get lost and the only drop off is at the end, which is well signposted by the roar of the waterfall.
Jug Holes in Matlock is good if you don't mind getting a bit muddy. Basically a small walkable simple maze.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Caving with a 6 year old in the peak
September 15, 2021, 08:18:24 am
I was going to suggest the through cave on windy ledge. My first and only caving experience in the peak, at midnight, pissed. Wear waterproofs and wellies.

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
#4 Re: Caving with a 6 year old in the peak
September 15, 2021, 11:19:53 am
The Gin entrance to Carlswerk cavern around the corner from Minus Ten bouldering is a pretty good starter cave if you're content with an out and back trip. I've taken quite a few new/non cavers down there and they loved it. Prepare mucky clothes. Once you go down the entrance, which is a little tight, turn left, crouch through a oyster shaped tube which after about 100 yards you can stand and walk in. Provided you don't go off down one of the side crawls its a straight walk (so you can just reverse it) with some nice formations. Topo on PDCI, you dont need to walk very far in for it to be exciting and every time I've taken new cavers we've turned back before the Eyam Passage.

Through cave on Windy Ledge as mentioned is a great crawl.

Potash

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Caving with a 6 year old in the peak
September 15, 2021, 11:37:12 am
Abseiling or lowering in Eyam Dale Shaft before following the relict streamway out to the Gin entrance at Carlswark is mellow. There are topos available at

https://thedca.org.uk/sssi-monitoring/sssi/stoney-middleton/stoney-middleton-carlswark-cavern/category/13-stoney-middleton-carlswark-cavern

Probably worth reccying it first before going pulling your ropes down with a small child in tow!

SamT

• forum hero
#6 Re: Caving with a 6 year old in the peak
September 15, 2021, 12:03:16 pm
Try UKcaving.com too for suggestions.  (probably lots or existing threads if you do a search).

Giants, Carlswark and Bagshawe Cavern (access relatively easy to arrange) would all be good starters as others have said.

Jugholes via the lower entrance if you're down Matlock way perhaps.

Caves of the Peak District is the bible..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0956347320/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_MQFA3NJAHJ899104GB19

SamT

• forum hero
#7 Re: Caving with a 6 year old in the peak
September 15, 2021, 12:11:03 pm

Does anyone know of a good way of doing it? Or if anyone here (who knows what they're doing) fancies taking me and the lad down in return for beers / chocolate etc that would be fab :)

Cheers!

I would offer, but have properly buggered my knee up.  Ask on UKcaving and you'll likely get an offer.  Just be aware that UKcaving can end up a little like UKclimbing.. lots of armchair warriors that will somehow derail your thread and end up arguing about brexit or some such.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Caving with a 6 year old in the peak
September 15, 2021, 02:39:25 pm
There's the Almscliff Tunnel too, an exercise in contortion for adults, probably easy for kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal