UKBouldering.com

Child-friendly destinations, East coast of USA (Read 2405 times)

PeteHukb

• player
Child-friendly destinations, East coast of USA
September 10, 2021, 02:56:57 pm
My sister lives in California, I'm in the UK, and we both have small kids (under 5). Partly to reduce the impact of jetlag we're wondering about meeting up somewhere halfway somewhere with some climbing. Any hints? Probably bouldering venues best but might consider sport.

Child-friendly doesn't need to include climbing for the kids, more that crags/areas are safe for kids and/or that there is stuff close by for family days out in addition to the climbing.

Thanks people!

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
You may get a number of replies about the crags in Mass, Vermont, New Hampshire which look cool but not sure I'll ever do a trip from Denver for them.

I would do a trip from Denver to New River Gorge, WV - bouldering looks amazing

I'd also go to Asheville, Boone areas NC which is meant to be so good (and Granite).

If your definition of E coast can be stretched (and you're going in winter), then consider anywhere in the South (Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama etc.)

These are all bouldering first answers however, rather than location nice for kids and family meet-up first  :smart:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Currently you aren’t allowed to fly to US from the Uk.

I am here at the moment with work which is only purpose allowed. Not sure how long this will be the case for.

Not seen a mask in a long time out here.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
Ps. I had to fly via Mexico for two weeks first it wasnt because i was working i was allowed in.

I remembered wrong.

Droyd

• addict
Tenneessee bouldering is supposed to be pretty good - I had a day at Stone Fort a couple of years ago which ticked all of the boxes for being kid-friendly as the bouldering is in the wooded part of a golf course so there are amenities right there. The landings are mostly fine and I reckon it'd be a cool place for kids to explore, and it's possible to hire both pads and the guide. The impression I got was that a) I could spend a week there and be on three-star problems the whole time, regardless of grade and b) that crag is one of many. Pretty sure there's also fantastic trad and sport nearby too.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
Ps. I had to fly via Mexico for two weeks first it wasnt because i was working i was allowed in.

I remembered wrong.
Forgot you spent two weeks in Mexico?  ;D

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero

I remembered wrong.
Forgot you spent two weeks in Mexico?  ;D

Of course! I was in Cancun. Dont remember much 😉

PeteHukb

• player
Thanks all for responses. Will check out Stone Fort. If anyone's got any comment on child-friendliness or otherwise of all the other areas, please let me know.

Thanks Adam, I'm aware of the current restrictions but hope these will be eased in the coming months, so just making some tentative plans for winter/spring.

rjtrials

• regular
Thanks all for responses. Will check out Stone Fort. If anyone's got any comment on child-friendliness or otherwise of all the other areas, please let me know.

Thanks Adam, I'm aware of the current restrictions but hope these will be eased in the coming months, so just making some tentative plans for winter/spring.

HP40 is similar in child friendliness as far as amenities within a walking distance.

There are many smaller areas with short approaches but in the woods with no food or restrooms.

There are also many sport climbing areas with a similar easy approach and nice hang.

PM me if you want specific details and/or are headed to Chattanooga area

andy popp

• forum hero
HP40 is similar in child friendliness as far as amenities within a walking distance.

HP40 would work once you were there but is not that convenient to get to and could easily involve two flights from the UK. How about the Gunks? Lots of non-climbing stuff and there must be pad hire in New Paltz. Certainly easier for you, but a bit further for your sister.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Never been but Niagra Glen looks pretty cool as a NE Destination. I don't thing anything in the NE compares to the SE or the West, but Pawtuckaway and the 'Gunks seem to have some cool looking stuff.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
great (small) minds...

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

HP40 would work once you were there but is not that convenient to get to and could easily involve two flights from the UK.

Atlanta is a pretty big hub (think I’ve stopped there on the way to CA), direct flights from Manchester and London, and HP40 is only 2 hrs from the airport, seems like a pretty good deal?

andy popp

• forum hero

HP40 would work once you were there but is not that convenient to get to and could easily involve two flights from the UK.

Atlanta is a pretty big hub (think I’ve stopped there on the way to CA), direct flights from Manchester and London, and HP40 is only 2 hrs from the airport, seems like a pretty good deal?

You're right Tim, I kind of over-egged that, though it is further. I would imagine there's plenty of other outdoorsy stuff near HP40, but very, very little else, and the nearby town is not exactly the most attractive. The Gunks/Hudson River Valley offers a lot more touristy potential.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal