UKBouldering.com

North Wales sport/Boulder this weekend (Read 1722 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
North Wales sport/Boulder this weekend
September 09, 2021, 09:10:56 am
I was suppose to be heading to N Wales this weekend (probably going to Devils Gorge to try Grand Canyon + friend is trying the extension) but I’m unsure of conditions given the forecast for storms today/tomorrow and some showers over the weekend.

Does anyone know how dry it stays at devils gorge and if it is climbable if there are showers?

Alternatively, are there any sport crags which would likely stay dry? Or bouldering? The cave would I guess but any other recommendations would be good.

My wife if meeting a friend near Conwy but it’s not dog friendly where they are going so just trying to make sure I’ve got some options to keep myself busy for a few days.

Going to have a trawl through the guides today but thought it would be worth asking too.

PlainCroi$$ant

• regular
#1 Re: North Wales sport/Boulder this weekend
September 09, 2021, 09:15:37 am
Can't help with broader info I'm afraid but my mate went down to try Grand Canyon on Tuesday and said it was wet...

RobK

• stalker
#2 Re: North Wales sport/Boulder this weekend
September 09, 2021, 10:09:58 am
Gorge would be a bit of a gamble. It crapped out in the hot weather (condensed) and usually then takes a while to dry back.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#3 Re: North Wales sport/Boulder this weekend
September 09, 2021, 04:54:21 pm
Thanks for the info on the gorge. Shame as I’m keen to get there!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: North Wales sport/Boulder this weekend
September 09, 2021, 04:58:56 pm
Conversely with a large temp drop from yesterday (Tue/Wed would have been condensed to fuckery), and further temp decline, it could be okay by Sunday:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcmy2w9pd#?date=2021-09-12

And with that forecast Llandudno or Clwyd lime could also be fine.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 05:23:30 pm by Fiend »

James Malloch

• forum hero
#5 Re: North Wales sport/Boulder this weekend
September 13, 2021, 02:44:26 pm
Various reasons meant we bailed but keen to get there next week hopefully instead as I’m off work.

Had a nice day out at Chapel Head Scar instead. I got some good ticks (inc. my first U.K. 7a onsight) and the dog got some bad ticks (3 of the buggers found so far!).

Cheers for the advice though

RobK

• stalker
#6 Re: North Wales sport/Boulder this weekend
September 13, 2021, 03:09:05 pm
Gorge was condensed all weekend and high humidity for the next few days at least means it won't recover for a while. You might get lucky by the end of the week/weekend depending how the forecast turns out but wouldn't count on it.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7 Re: North Wales sport/Boulder this weekend
September 13, 2021, 04:38:52 pm
Gorge was condensed all weekend and high humidity for the next few days at least means it won't recover for a while. You might get lucky by the end of the week/weekend depending how the forecast turns out but wouldn't count on it.

Cheers for that - maybe that aim for the year will have to wait. Lots of other things to go at instead!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal