UKBouldering.com

Lexicon, E11 7a FA for Neil Gresham (Read 56617 times)

remus

• forum hero
#350 Re: Lexicon, E11 7a FA for Neil Gresham
December 19, 2021, 08:38:40 am
Assumptions: there isn't some crazy lense on the camera that'd be distorting the image. The stitching used to put together the pic hasn't stretched it weirdly.

Assuming the camera’s followed Steve as he’s falling (I haven’t seen the film yet ;) ) and it’s not on some kind of vertical slider then there’ll be some kind of perspective distortion because the camera’s pivoted on one point rather than linearly following the fall. Whether that makes much of a difference to this highly scientific measurement I’m not sure but it’s the reason that architectural etc. photographers who need to stitch photos together with total accuracy use panoramic heads that allow the camera to be moved along one plane only between shots.

Good camera knowledge! Again largely just guessing, but I reckon the shot was probably done from fairly far away with a relatively long lense and a small-ish camera movement to follow the fall so hopefully wouldn't add too much distortion.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#351 Re: Lexicon, E11 7a FA for Neil Gresham
December 19, 2021, 10:14:02 am
When Steve did a talk for the Yorkshire Area BMC a few weeks ago he said that Alistair Lee had positioned his camera wrong and it was pointed too high, so when he fell off he fell out of the shot. Apparently Al requisitioned Dave Macs footage for the film, so I would imagine that's what that is. Might mean more likely to be a fixed camera instead of anything nerdy going on?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal