UKBouldering.com

Bruised finger pulp (Read 4214 times)

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#25 Re: Bruised finger pulp
September 08, 2021, 10:47:01 am
Hopefully still on topic, but does anyone notice a massive and seemingly disproportionate drop off in performance when a particular edge size is used?

I find my performance drops off a cliff on the 6mm micros in comparison to the 8mm. E.g. I can add quite a bit of weight on the 8's and hang for over 10 seconds, but can barely complete a 5 second bodyweight hang on the 6's! Likewise the skin damage goes from none at all at 8mm (even weighted), to cutting into the skin on every tip at 6mm!

Yes, I find the 6mm totally next level compared to 8mm. That being said I know a guy who weighs similar to me who can do 16 pull ups on the BM 6mm so I clearly have a weakness to address!

Bradders

• forum hero
#26 Re: Bruised finger pulp
September 08, 2021, 11:53:10 am
Yes, I find the 6mm totally next level compared to 8mm. That being said I know a guy who weighs similar to me who can do 16 pull ups on the BM 6mm so I clearly have a weakness to address!

That kind of thing blows my mind.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#27 Re: Bruised finger pulp
September 08, 2021, 12:01:40 pm
Ah yes, as an engineer I should have picked up on the bigger percentage drop from 8mm to 6mm in comparison to a 2mm difference between larger edges! Makes sense.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#28 Re: Bruised finger pulp
September 08, 2021, 01:00:44 pm
Well, a bit of specificity seems to be paying off for me. Managed a 15s hang on the 6mm today which is 200% better than any previous effort! This with totally fresh finger pads - next go felt vastly harder and I reverted back to the 8mm for the rest of the session - but very encouraging.

I've also been very consequential with the antihydral the last week and have carefully sanded the skin smooth etc which presumably doesn't do any harm. Now actually really psyched to see how far I can go with it, although I don't think I'll be approaching the 16 pull ups mark any time soon  ;D

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#29 Re: Bruised finger pulp
September 08, 2021, 01:02:28 pm

That kind of thing blows my mind.

To be fair he lives in Frankenjura and climbs 8c+ but even so I find it disgustingly strong.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal