UKBouldering.com

Yet Another Bouldering Film (Read 6702 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#25 Yet Another Bouldering Film
October 23, 2004, 09:21:41 am
I don't think wirebrushing on new granite boulders is a problem - it's just a problem on soft rocks like Grit or on hard rocks when it's done to excess and when the rock is already clean.

What is "Bristol Heel action"?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#26 Yet Another Bouldering Film
October 23, 2004, 11:46:51 am
Oh don't worry, I understand the need for brushing and have no complaint with it in this case, it's obviously done appropriately. All of those first comments were jokes...

Bubba, I thought it's when you drag a heel across the floor/mat or spotter or something....maybe that's something else, I have trouble keeping up with these trendy young terms...

P.S. I didn't mind the music so much. But I'd have prefered the video to be a bit crisper in some places where it was a bit blurry (weird DivX compression, or dirt on the lens, maybe??). Oh and the river crossing was pretty funny :).

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#27 Yet Another Bouldering Film
October 23, 2004, 11:47:57 am
A Bristol heel hook could be myself or another of my Bristol based homies using our heels to assist an ascent of a boulder problem.  Although this is technically inaccurate as I'm currently based in London.

I suspect this is not the case, and like you it seems, I rarely know what Fiend is talking about.

I'd f*cking love to climb with the guy though.  He's managed to become well known in the climbing "Scene" without actually doing any climbing.  That deserves some respect.  If you're ever in London Fiend, give me a shout.  You could confuse me face to face then.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#28 Yet Another Bouldering Film
October 23, 2004, 05:21:51 pm
A bristol heel is when you use the floor/mat or appear to with your heel when doing low starts off low footholds. Kicking the floor/mat/spotter is called doing a 'Fred'
Wire brushing is acceptable in some circumstances (putting up new probs etc...) but it must be very clear that WIRE BRUSHING CLEAN HOLDS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE and any one caught doing so needs there fingers breaking. I've just bought a new axe and am itching to try it out  :twisted:

ffast

#29 Yet Another Bouldering Film
October 23, 2004, 06:18:49 pm
Ummm. The blurriness is because of the motion in the picture.
The video was compressed as 1-pass DivX, that was not a good idea
after all :/ Multipass would've been better, I'll remember that ALSO
next time :)

And the river crossing was the only way to get across the river
without getting your feet wet.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#30 Yet Another Bouldering Film
October 23, 2004, 07:22:05 pm
Quote from: "Jim"
A bristol heel is when you use the floor/mat or appear to with your heel when doing low starts off low footholds.

See? I had some vague inkling it was something like that...

Quote from: "TH"
I suspect this is not the case, and like you it seems, I rarely know what Fiend is talking about.

I'd f*cking love to climb with the guy though. He's managed to become well known in the climbing "Scene" without actually doing any climbing. That deserves some respect. If you're ever in London Fiend, give me a shout. You could confuse me face to face then.

You are very, very strange. Well known?? WTF?? Without actually doing any climbing?? Errr I go out and bumble as much as anyone else. Leave me alone and go download this video, it's fun.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#31 Yet Another Bouldering Film
October 23, 2004, 08:01:53 pm
the term "bristol heel" was, in fact, coined by my good self n has generally become accepted in climbing circles. it came about because of the kickboard on the woody at bristol wall being home to a rather oversize mat. sit starts were ALWAYS done by others using the aforementioned "bristol heel" or as it was first known "standing on the f**kin floor". strangely enough there were always denials usually culminating in "i didn't weight it". now you know if it ever comes up in a pub quiz. :D

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#32 Yet Another Bouldering Film
October 24, 2004, 11:18:16 pm
Quote from: "Fiend"
Quote from: "TH"

I'd f*cking love to climb with the guy though. He's managed to become well known in the climbing "Scene" without actually doing any climbing. That deserves some respect. If you're ever in London Fiend, give me a shout. You could confuse me face to face then.

You are very, very strange. Well known?? WTF?? Without actually doing any climbing?? Errr I go out and bumble as much as anyone else. Leave me alone and go download this video, it's fun.

Fiend you're a legend mate, i'd ask ya for an autograph if i bumped into ya. :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal