UKBouldering.com

DIY fiberglass volumes? (Read 3403 times)

Danny

• junky
DIY fiberglass volumes?
August 29, 2021, 08:41:43 pm
I'm wondering whether anyone has had a go at making their own fiberglass volumes? I wouldn't mind knocking out a few for a prospective home wall because the real things are eye-wateringly expensive. However, I can't seem to find much online, apart from this video:

Which is ok as far as it goes, but seems to leave no options for  >1 volume for each design.

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#1 Re: DIY fiberglass volumes?
August 29, 2021, 11:22:26 pm
I made volumes for my board by cutting triangles out of a sheet of plywood and screwing them together. My initial plan was to simply griptape the surfaces, but suspected this would have been unusably hard for me, so I screwed some poor holds to them instead.

I really like the addition of volumes and they can be mounted in a way that allows for some good compression moves.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: DIY fiberglass volumes?
August 30, 2021, 12:36:04 pm
I've never noticed people making multiples of fiberglass volumes.

I can remember when they started popping up on the comp circuit and I think Andy Long was responsible for making a lot of them?

My board goes from 30 to 45 deg which isn't ideal for easier circuits so I made a handful of small plywood volumes (which is very easy if you have access to a sliding mitre saw or similar) and then bought some Eurohold's large volume/holds which are considerably less £££ than the competition. In fact I'm just about to do the same again (previously it was before Brexit).

remus

• forum hero
#3 Re: DIY fiberglass volumes?
August 30, 2021, 02:35:38 pm

Presumably commercial operations do this regularly? Unless they're not actually fiberglass?

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: DIY fiberglass volumes?
August 30, 2021, 04:08:50 pm
That's a good point  :chair:

The type I'm thinking of I don't think you see that often in modern walls, like when people were creating sections of tufa or different size exercise balls with various cutouts rather than the slicker stuff you can buy currently.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 04:15:24 pm by Paul B »

Danny

• junky
#5 Re: DIY fiberglass volumes?
August 31, 2021, 06:26:58 am

Presumably commercial operations do this regularly? Unless they're not actually fiberglass?

This exactly. I'm not sure about all volumes or macros, but some commercial ones are definitely fiberglass—you can see the underlying structure in the odd very well used one. Maybe there are ways of making large standard resin volumes too. I know for example that the Holdz mini piggy back volumes are resin because I had a few on my old board. They were heavy as fook for their size though.

Danny

• junky
#6 Re: DIY fiberglass volumes?
August 31, 2021, 06:31:33 am
I certainly could make some standard ply volumes, but my dream board will have a bunch of glorious comp blobs mixed with well crafted wooden crimps and stuff. 

Danny

• junky
#7 Re: DIY fiberglass volumes?
August 31, 2021, 06:36:05 am
That's a good point  :chair:

The type I'm thinking of I don't think you see that often in modern walls, like when people were creating sections of tufa or different size exercise balls with various cutouts rather than the slicker stuff you can buy currently.

Now that I'm thinking a bit more about this, most of the slick ones you're on about have a bolt hole. Must be poured?

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: DIY fiberglass volumes?
August 31, 2021, 12:19:58 pm
I certainly could make some standard ply volumes, but my dream board will have a bunch of glorious comp blobs mixed with well crafted wooden crimps and stuff.

As I said, I've got (some of) these:
https://euroholds.com/en/series-families/1023-10929-the-seven-dwarfs.html#/5-color-no_matter_faster

I get the impression they don't hold up well in a commercial environment but I'm pleased with what I've had from EH (considering the relative £) and they work fairly well as they don't dominate the surrounding space.

I could do with a slightly harder circuit and I was thinking of ordering these:
https://euroholds.com/en/series-families/1159-11966-the-spines-family.html#/5-color-no_matter_faster

The bigger of which will be similar to the 'dwarves' in scale.

Interestingly this:
https://euroholds.com/en/fiberglass-macros/1169-12051-spine-big-fiber.html#/5-color-no_matter_faster

is described as being fiberglass (they hold it upside down on the video too).

Now that I'm thinking a bit more about this, most of the slick ones you're on about have a bolt hole. Must be poured?

I think perhaps I'm showing my age by thinking of the era when the height of sophistication was a hemispherical volume formed around an exercise ball!

Danny

• junky
#9 Re: DIY fiberglass volumes?
August 31, 2021, 05:23:17 pm
That first set looks good Paul. Presumably halfway decent for mid-high sevens on 45 degrees? Cheap enough too. I may avoid the DIY, but then part of me just enjoys faffing about  :)

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: DIY fiberglass volumes?
August 31, 2021, 05:32:33 pm
It's going to depend on what you're standing on but I think you can set some pretty powerful stuff if you wish.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal