places to visit > indoor walls

DIY fiberglass volumes?

(1/3) > >>

Danny:
I'm wondering whether anyone has had a go at making their own fiberglass volumes? I wouldn't mind knocking out a few for a prospective home wall because the real things are eye-wateringly expensive. However, I can't seem to find much online, apart from this video:

Which is ok as far as it goes, but seems to leave no options for  >1 volume for each design.

User deactivated.:
I made volumes for my board by cutting triangles out of a sheet of plywood and screwing them together. My initial plan was to simply griptape the surfaces, but suspected this would have been unusably hard for me, so I screwed some poor holds to them instead.

I really like the addition of volumes and they can be mounted in a way that allows for some good compression moves.

Paul B:
I've never noticed people making multiples of fiberglass volumes.

I can remember when they started popping up on the comp circuit and I think Andy Long was responsible for making a lot of them?

My board goes from 30 to 45 deg which isn't ideal for easier circuits so I made a handful of small plywood volumes (which is very easy if you have access to a sliding mitre saw or similar) and then bought some Eurohold's large volume/holds which are considerably less £££ than the competition. In fact I'm just about to do the same again (previously it was before Brexit).

remus:

--- Quote from: Paul B on August 30, 2021, 12:36:04 pm ---I've never noticed people making multiples of fiberglass volumes.

--- End quote ---

Presumably commercial operations do this regularly? Unless they're not actually fiberglass?

Paul B:
That's a good point  :chair:

The type I'm thinking of I don't think you see that often in modern walls, like when people were creating sections of tufa or different size exercise balls with various cutouts rather than the slicker stuff you can buy currently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version