UKBouldering.com

Dumfries UKB-ers (Read 2233 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Dumfries UKB-ers
August 26, 2021, 02:19:23 pm
Off up to Kirkubright on a family holiday next week, and against all odds the weather is looking decent.

Long shot, by any UKB-ers local that wouldn't mind showing a visitor round somewhere nearby, or even lending me a pad? We don't have enough boot space to cart one up and wouldn't mind exploring some of the beach stuff if we can.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Dumfries UKB-ers
August 26, 2021, 03:20:37 pm
You can get away without a pad or just a skinny one if the sand level is high on some probs at Sandyhills Beach, (good family option), Thirlstane has some really low stuff, and sometimes sandy landings and quick access.

Really nice beach at Brighouse Bay, nowt like t'other Brighouse. Some of the other beaches are a bit estuarine and muddy, so choose carefully. 

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#2 Re: Dumfries UKB-ers
August 26, 2021, 04:50:37 pm
Nice one, they were the options I'd scoped out. Mrs T went to Sandyhills last year with the kids and said it was a good beach in general so I think that's probably my best chance of a bit of low grade / lowball pottering above a takeoff pad.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Dumfries UKB-ers
August 26, 2021, 05:47:38 pm
There's actually a guide to Sandyhills on Unknown Stones (one of the site's founders moved nearby). The topos make it look like lots of the landings are very friendly (obvs subject to change). If you look up Pete Jackson on social media he might be up for showing you around.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Dumfries UKB-ers
August 27, 2021, 08:35:09 am
Messaged you some other non-climbing beta.

Stewart

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Dumfries UKB-ers
August 27, 2021, 01:31:24 pm
any UKB-ers local

There are very few regular boulderers in D&G, single figures TBH, and most of them don't climb outdoor much!

You're very welcome to borrow a mat from me but I live in the North of the region about 1 hr from Kirkcudbright so dunno if you'd be able to collect. I might be out on Monday night or Thursday day but i've been projecting further afield of late.

Sandyhills has a bunch of low grade stuff but a lot of it can be a bit chossy. There are a couple of very good 6c's i can point you at if you decide to go there. Also an uber-classic 7B. Mixture of sand and rocky landings depending on problem. It's not as good as Thirlstane

Thirlstane is a great family venue, and the climbing is excellent. If you're careful you can get away with just a towel to keep feet dry as landing are soft sand.

Both venues are tidal but ok till about 90 mins either side of high tide. They're about 30-40mins away.

1 hr away is Garheugh along the West coast. Loads of excellent bouldering but landings are pebbles/flat rocks so you'd want a mat.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Re: Dumfries UKB-ers
August 27, 2021, 03:42:34 pm
Thirlstane landing was shells last time!

OT, I rated the Selkirk Arms in Kirkcudbright, always had nice meals there (although the last was a few years back)

Evil

• addict
#7 Re: Dumfries UKB-ers
August 29, 2021, 08:00:28 am
The beach at Thirlstane is pretty amazing for the sheer amount of shells on it, I've  never seen a beach with so many shells before (I was there in June).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: Dumfries UKB-ers
September 28, 2021, 11:19:35 pm
And how was it?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#9 Re: Dumfries UKB-ers
September 29, 2021, 10:26:24 am
Had a nice afternoon at Thirlstane - I'd recommend it for kids (mine are 4 and 7), as there are a few little platform things with plenty of small-person-sized things (AKA Lancashire highballs) for them to go at.

I got a bit of a spanking at the crag proper, but I think that was a combination of being in a rush, a bit hot, and accompanied by 2 kids who'd run out of patience.

Earlier comments about the beach are correct though, tons of shells.

As a side note, if anyone's up there and wants a nice breakfast, served amongst some amazing views, I'd highly recommend Gather at Gatehouse Of Fleet.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Dumfries UKB-ers
September 29, 2021, 10:42:35 am
That's new, looks amazing.

Remember a nice cafe in the old mill too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal