the shizzle > food & drink

Wanted: pasture raised meat, poultry, eggs, dairy in Yorkshire

(1/3) > >>

User deactivated.:
I'd like this part of my diet to come from cows/chickens that lived relatively normal lives and have themselves eaten what a cow/chicken is supposed to eat. 'Organic' and 'free range' labels can occasionally be found at the supermarket, but so far as I can tell, this does not guarantee my cow ate a healthy diet of grass.

I'm aware of various websites that offer 100% grass fed, pasture raised meat boxes and such, but would prefer to buy locally. The closer to Leeds the better. Anyone have a good source?

griffer:
We use the farm shop in Airton, as an example the brie comes from the next village (calton) with the milk provided by a cow called daisy that lives on malham Moor. It's absolutely fantastic but she only makes enough for 2 bries a week.
The beef and pork are all from local farms but makes it all expensive

lagerstarfish:
Not near Leeds, but close to Burbage if you are visiting - Firs Farm on Ringinglow road might have what you want.

turnipturned:

--- Quote from: Liamhutch89 on August 15, 2021, 09:38:01 pm ---I'd like this part of my diet to come from cows/chickens that lived relatively normal lives and have themselves eaten what a cow/chicken is supposed to eat. 'Organic' and 'free range' labels can occasionally be found at the supermarket, but so far as I can tell, this does not guarantee my cow ate a healthy diet of grass.

I'm aware of various websites that offer 100% grass fed, pasture raised meat boxes and such, but would prefer to buy locally. The closer to Leeds the better. Anyone have a good source?

--- End quote ---

In terms of red meat, what I think you are looking for is probably going to come from 'rare breed hairy cattle' i.e. shorthorn, longhorn, highland, belty. An easy option is somewhere like Keelham Farm shop, but any good local butchers will be able to tell you the source of your meat.

I am not sure what your motive behind this is, but if its 'animal health', then buying anything British with Red Tractor on it (i.e. all Aldi meat) will be a pretty good guarantee. If its conservation/climate change, then rare breed cattle apply. Just to put it in perspective, we run 10 (+ followers) longhorns on some land in Cumbria, within 5 years, due to change in management and grazing, we now have one of the best sites in north Cumbria for Orchids and wildflowers on this type of grassland. Similar trend can be said for farmers I previosuly worked with in Upper Wharfedale, who changed from sheep to rare breed beef. The speed at which change happens is pretty remarkable. I must add, if its a 'climate' concern, again, just make sure you are buying British. There needs to be a bit more research and depends how you look at it, but I won't be surprised if most of our beef systems in the UK are close to carbon neutral if not positive due to the amount of carbon locked up in brown soils.

teestub:
Agree with Turnip, talk to your local butcher, there must be some great ones in Leeds.

If you want to buy direct from a farm we have bought from Hellifield Highland pretty regularly http://www.hellifieldhighlandbeef.co.uk/

Keelham are funny as they don’t make a big song and dance about where their meat is from, but when I’ve spoken to the butchers before, they have been very knowledgable, with the beef and lamb sourced from within the Dales and often from sales at the neighbouring auction house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version