technical > computers, technology and the internet

Chromebooks

<< < (2/5) > >>

spidermonkey09:
Thanks all - some interesting points. First thing to say is that its a history phd so I can't see that I'll be needing anything beyond office; certainly no models or anything.

RobK's point about 365 entanglement is my main concern. That said, given Mac users seem to handle this fairly easily I can't see it would be *that* big an issue. I'll also be working from home the vast majority of the time so wouldn't need to connect to the abysmal eduroam or similar all that much.

Good shout about checking if the uni can pay for it though, I will definitely do that!

jwi:
Office 365 (with subscription) is acceptable on Chromebooks unless you are needing Excel workbooks with macro or need any of the more advanced features of Word (like mailings/macros/forms etc). Chromebooks can be used with Excel for data entry and Word for simple text editing.

(I recently looked into getting a thin client and setting up a virtual machine on a rented server as an alternative to getting a premium laptop. I concluded that it requires really fast internet always and was more expensive than just owning the machine myself)

Paul B:

--- Quote from: spidermonkey09 on August 13, 2021, 02:42:11 pm ---Thanks all - some interesting points. First thing to say is that its a history phd so I can't see that I'll be needing anything beyond office; certainly no models or anything.

--- End quote ---

I take it Mendeley etc. all play nicely with Office 365? No interest in putting yourself through the completely unnecessary pain of LaTeX just for smugness?

spidermonkey09:
I just had to google what LaTeX is, so...no!

A look at the website suggests it is, albeit there is no specific app for Chrome OS. Paperpile looks like a good option as well, although you have to pay.

andy popp:

--- Quote from: spidermonkey09 on August 13, 2021, 02:42:11 pm ---First thing to say is that its a history phd

--- End quote ---

What's the topic? Sorry, have no advice on Chromebooks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version