UKBouldering.com

Tablet recommendations 2021 (Read 2495 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Tablet recommendations 2021
August 06, 2021, 09:29:41 pm
So.... tablet recommendations. I want a tablet to read the morning paper and to play sheet music from. I am indifferent to os but without checking, I suppose only Android and iOS is supported by my morning paper. I guess larger screen is always better for the applications I am thinking of, but that they can be run on any old tablet, so a reconditioned one should be absolutely fine. Recommendations?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1 Re: Tablet recommendations 2021
August 06, 2021, 10:47:41 pm
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1, it was pretty cheap, I think I've had it a couple of years and its lasted really well.  Fine for reading the papers,  but I've used it for watching movies if travelling which it works fine for too, and for doing small amounts of work on. I'd recommend it.  When I bought it, I got the previous years version which was almost identical and about a third cheaper than the newest one.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:03:25 pm by TobyD »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#2 Re: Tablet recommendations 2021
August 06, 2021, 11:02:00 pm
10" Fire HD and tweak it to have Google Play Store on it (more app choices)
We have a fifth gen and a seventh gen. Both work fine for what you are after.
7th gen has a much better battery.
5th gen cost £35 (eBay) a couple of years ago
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:07:11 pm by lagerstarfish »

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#3 Re: Tablet recommendations 2021
August 07, 2021, 07:33:10 am

I find all the Amazon stuff on fires unbearable hence why I got a Samsung. The fire tablets are very good value however if you can put up with it. I've used one a reasonable bit, it's slightly older but it's much slower than my Samsung.

chris j

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Tablet recommendations 2021
August 07, 2021, 09:02:38 am
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1, it was pretty cheap, I think I've had it a couple of years and its lasted really well.

+1 Had a couple over the years (the first died due to my then 4 year old daughter doing something to the usb connector...). Does movies, newspaper, magazines, coped with primary level home-school through lockdowns, relatively affordable...

IanP

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Tablet recommendations 2021
August 07, 2021, 04:02:28 pm
I find the android tablet market a bit frustating at the moment - there seems to be a bit of gap in the mid range.   I've currently got an old 2013 Nexus 7 bought 6 years ago which is still running but getting quite laggy - unfortunately it seems to be hard to get a similarly priced replacement with same high quality HD screen (300+ ppi), it's either lower definition screen or pay signiifcantly more. 

Use it mainly for newspapes/reading/web, possibly a lower def screen won't actually matter that much but it does seem wrong that should move down in quality 6 years on.

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Tablet recommendations 2021
August 07, 2021, 05:09:51 pm
I think we were spoiled with the Nexus 7. Mine is the same. I bought the 9 off the back of it being so good and it never came close. I still use the 9 as a screen on the turbo trainer and regularlyIl come close to snapping it over my knee in pure frustration!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#7 Re: Tablet recommendations 2021
August 07, 2021, 08:49:34 pm

I find all the Amazon stuff on fires unbearable hence why I got a Samsung. The fire tablets are very good value however if you can put up with it. I've used one a reasonable bit, it's slightly older but it's much slower than my Samsung.

Me and the kids don't notice the Amazon stuff. We just head straight to the Google store apps that we are used to.
I think you can pay a fixed amount to stop the ads?

kelvin

• forum hero
#8 Re: Tablet recommendations 2021
August 08, 2021, 05:53:29 pm
I think we were spoiled with the Nexus 7. Mine is the same. I bought the 9 off the back of it being so good and it never came close. I still use the 9 as a screen on the turbo trainer and regularlyIl come close to snapping it over my knee in pure frustration!

I gave up on tablets after the Nexus 7.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#9 Re: Tablet recommendations 2021
August 08, 2021, 06:14:18 pm

I gave up after Mitsubishis and those mongey Supermans

kelvin

• forum hero
#10 Re: Tablet recommendations 2021
August 09, 2021, 12:10:40 pm

I gave up after Mitsubishis and those mongey Supermans

Expert knowledge there  :clap2:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#11 Re: Tablet recommendations 2021
August 09, 2021, 09:30:21 pm
Thx people.

After consultations with former colleagues I have decided that taking notes/writing on slides during online classes using the pen might be important uses for a tablet. So an added constraint is that there should be a fast non-laggy pen supported by good software. I guess it boils down to apple or samsung if so?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal