UKBouldering.com

Logic Puzzles (Read 5813 times)

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 09:33:38 am
Hi All, I proper love logic puzzles (stereotype autistic :p )

Does anyone know any good ones or links to good ones? I've just finished Alex Bellos' 'Can you solve my problems' which is worth a buy if you're into that stuff. Also the GCHQ puzzle book was good fun. Google foobar challenges are good but hard to get hold of!

Heres a fun one for people.......What is interesting about this Radio Presenters business card?

Name: Jason
Broadcast: FM/AM

No posting spoilers ;)

Cheers!

remus

• forum hero
#1 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 09:43:45 am
It's been around quite a bit so you may have seen it already, but I enjoyed the blue eyed islanders puzzle

On an otherwise deserted and isolated island, 200 perfect logicians are stranded. The islanders are perfectly logical in every decision they make, and they will not do anything unless they are absolutely certain of the outcome. However, they cannot communicate with each other. They are forbidden from speaking with one another, or signing, or writing messages in the sand, else they be shot dead by the captain of a mysterious ship that visits the island each night.

Of the 200 islanders, 100 have blue eyes, and 100 have brown eyes. However, no individual knows what color their own eyes are. There are no reflective surfaces on the island for the inhabitants to see a reflection of their own eyes. They can each see the 199 other islanders and their eye colors, but any given individual does not know if his or her own eyes are brown, blue, or perhaps another color entirely. And remember, they cannot communicate with each other in any way under penalty of death.

Each night, when the captain of the ship comes, the islanders have a chance to leave the barren and desolate spit of land they have been marooned on. If an islander tells the captain the color of his or her own eyes, they may board the ship and leave. If they get it wrong, they will be shot dead.

Now, there is one more person on the island: the guru, who the islanders know to always tell the truth. The guru has green eyes. One day, she stands up before all 200 islanders and says:

I see a person with blue eyes.

Who leaves the island? And when do they leave?

edshakey

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 09:55:20 am

I guess it's vaguely interesting that the initials spell nob but pretty sure I'm off the mark... struggling to come up with much else though!

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#3 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 09:57:41 am

Heres a fun one for people.......What is interesting about this Radio Presenters business card?

No posting spoilers ;)

Cheers!

Needs another ‘J’ - then it works.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 09:59:32 am
How many letters are there in the answer to this question?

(this is a separate puzzle btw, not a response to any of the others)

edshakey

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 10:03:55 am
How many letters are there in the answer to this question?

(this is a separate puzzle btw, not a response to any of the others)

Think I managed this one, pretty neat

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 10:10:55 am
It is isn't it.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#7 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 11:18:34 am

Does anyone know any good ones or links to good ones?

Have you tried Olympic scoring?

petejh

• forum hero
#8 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 11:30:53 am

No posting spoilers ;)

Cheers!

Got it.

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#9 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 12:12:05 pm

Does anyone know any good ones or links to good ones?

Have you tried Olympic scoring?

I'm not f*cking Alan Turing

Stabbsy

• junky
#10 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 12:27:06 pm

No posting spoilers ;)

Cheers!

Got it.

Me too, close to being great but slightly disappointing that it doesn't quite work.

You have 12 balls of identical appearance and a set of scales (the sort where you put different things on either side and check which is heavier, not the sort that measures weight in kilos or whatever). 11 of the balls weigh exactly the same and one is heavier. What is the minimum number of weighings that you can do to work out which ball is heavier and how do you do it?

How does the answer change if 11 balls weigh the same and 1 is heavier or lighter, but you don't know which?

petejh

• forum hero
#11 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 12:37:02 pm

You have 12 balls of identical appearance and a set of scales (the sort where you put different things on either side and check which is heavier, not the sort that measures weight in kilos or whatever). 11 of the balls weigh exactly the same and one is heavier. What is the minimum number of weighings that you can do to work out which ball is heavier and how do you do it?

How does the answer change if 11 balls weigh the same and 1 is heavier or lighter, but you don't know which?

1st weighting. Split into 6 each side. One side will be heavier.
2nd weighting. Split heavier 6 into 3 each side. One side will be heavier.
3rd weighting. Split heavier 3 into 1 against another 1 until find heaviest.
Minimum weightings = 3, maximum weightings = 4

Answer doesn't change if one is lighter, except change 'split the heavier side' to 'split the lighter side'.

?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#12 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 12:42:37 pm

Answer doesn't change if one is lighter, except change 'split the heavier side' to 'split the lighter side'.

?

The 3rd weighing will tell you everything you need to know. If the heavier ball ends up on the scales the answer will be there. If the scales are level the heavier ball is that which you're not weighing.

petejh

• forum hero
#13 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 12:46:20 pm
 :thumbsup:

Probably a common one. I like it as it doesn't rely on maths but lateral thinking. 

You are outside a room, there are 3 switches which correspond to 3 light-bulbs inside the room.  you don’t know which switch corresponds to which bulb and you can't see inside the room. You can only enter the room with the bulbs and come back out once. You can not use any external test equipment. How do you find out which bulb corresponds to which switch?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#14 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 12:49:09 pm
:thumbsup:

Probably a common one. I like it as it doesn't rely on maths but lateral thinking. 

You are outside a room, there are 3 switches which correspond to 3 light-bulbs inside the room.  you don’t know which switch corresponds to which bulb and you can't see inside the room. You can only enter the room with the bulbs and come back out once. You can not use any external test equipment. How do you find out which bulb corresponds to which switch?

I'm guessing you turn two bulbs on, wait 10 minutes, turn one of the lit bulbs off, enter and see of the two unlit bulbs which is warm?

Stabbsy

• junky
#15 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 01:08:47 pm

?

Poor description on my part - when I said minimum, I meant the minimum number to guarantee that you could find the heavier ball. Minimum weighings would be 1 if you picked the right 2 balls to weigh against each other. Will's adjustment to your version is right though - 3 weighings.

However, the extension is the interesting bit and where it gets more difficult. The point here is you don't know whether the odd one out is heavier or lighter, so you can't switch from splitting the heavy side to splitting the light side as you don't know whether the heavy side or the light side has the odd one out, so which side do you split. Back around.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#16 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 01:41:55 pm
I think you’d have to weigh both of the sets of 3, 2 of these would be the same and 2 uneven, then you proceed to the individual weighing as before, so one extra weigh?

Stabbsy

• junky
#17 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 02:16:09 pm
I think you’d have to weigh both of the sets of 3, 2 of these would be the same and 2 uneven, then you proceed to the individual weighing as before, so one extra weigh?

No.

petejh

• forum hero
#18 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 02:52:43 pm
It's trying to answer a different question - you're looking to discard as many of the same weight as quickly as possible. Not specifically look for the outlier. So is it something like:

Start with any 50% (6 balls) and split them, 3/3. If they weigh equal then you can discard those 6, because you know the outlier must be among the remaining 6.
If not equal then you can discard the unweighed 6, because you know they'll be equal
So that's 1 weigh.

Then you're left with 6.
Apply same theory - take 50% and split 3/3. If equal you can discard those 3 because the outlier must be in the remaining 3. If unequal you can discard the unweighed 3.
2 weighs.

That leaves you with 3.
Take any 2 and split 1/1, weigh. If equal you know the outlier is the unweighed one. If unequal you've found the outlier by weighing.
So 3 weighs. Same as previous.

remus

• forum hero
#19 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 03:01:03 pm
With the balls, is there mileage in first splitting in to 3 groups of 4? Then you compare any 2 groups, either

1. One of the weighed groups is heavier so you've narrowed it down to 4 balls
2. Both groups of 4 weigh the same, so you know the odd ball must be in the remaining group of 4

Not sure where you go from there though.

Stabbsy

• junky
#20 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 06, 2021, 03:12:41 pm
It's trying to answer a different question - you're looking to discard as many of the same weight as quickly as possible. Not specifically look for the outlier. So is it something like:

Start with any 50% (6 balls) and split them, 3/3. If they weigh equal then you can discard those 6, because you know the outlier must be among the remaining 6.
If not equal then you can discard the unweighed 6, because you know they'll be equal
So that's 1 weigh.

Then you're left with 6.
Apply same theory - take 50% and split 3/3. If equal you can discard those 3 because the outlier must be in the remaining 3. If unequal you can discard the unweighed 3.
2 weighs.

That leaves you with 3.
Take any 2 and split 1/1, weigh. If equal you know the outlier is the unweighed one. If unequal you've found the outlier by weighing.
So 3 weighs. Same as previous.

NSFW  :
Yes and no. The answer is 3, but your method doesn't work.

Your first weighing gets you down to 6, fine with that.

Let's assume your first weighing was equal, so you know nothing about the remaining 6. How are you doing your second weighing? You've identified that the odd one out is 1 of 6. I'm assuming you mean splitting those 6 into 2 x 3 and weigh one of those 3s against 3 from the discarded pile (which you know don't include the odd one out). If they're equal, you're down to 3 but you don't know if the odd one out is heavier or lighter. So when you weigh two of them against each other and they aren't equal, you don't know which one is the odd one out.

I don't think there's a way of doing it by starting with 6s.

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#21 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 07, 2021, 08:08:03 am
Heres a daft one...This actually happened to me in real life.

There was a girl who worked in the coffee shop i always go to.
I got chatting to her once. After that she was really nice to me monday to friday but always ignored me on the weekend.
What was her deal?

ps more puzzles plz ;)

remus

• forum hero
#22 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 07, 2021, 10:41:27 am

I got chatting to her once. After that she was really nice to me monday to friday but always ignored me on the weekend.
What was her deal?

Identical twins? The chatty one worked weekdays and her sister worked the weekend?

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#23 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 07, 2021, 12:16:21 pm

What was her deal?

Identical twins? The chatty one worked weekdays and her sister worked the weekend?

Yes!

mark20

• junky
#24 Re: Logic Puzzles
August 07, 2021, 02:10:20 pm
This is a good one

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of 3 doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the other 2, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal