the shizzle > equipment

Cheap (not shit) chalk?

<< < (2/5) > >>

remus:
Last few years I've gone with the big plastic tubs from decathlon. Reasonable value and pretty convenient if you have a decathlon nearby. The wild country 1kg bags look like great value, I might try those next time.

Just had a look at price per kg for a few different brands:

friction labs (10oz bags): £62.64 / kg
decathlon (600g tubs): £33.31 / kg
wild country (1kg bag): £22 / kg (maybe cheaper if you can find it in stock)

For me, I can't tell any real difference between most of the major chalk brands.

Bradders:

--- Quote from: remus on August 04, 2021, 08:05:36 am ---Just had a look at price per kg for a few different brands:

friction labs (10oz bags): £62.64 / kg
decathlon (600g tubs): £33.31 / kg
wild country (1kg bag): £22 / kg (maybe cheaper if you can find it in stock)

For me, I can't tell any real difference between most of the major chalk brands.

--- End quote ---

Interesting comparison, thanks.

I definitely can see a big difference using Friction Labs versus, say, Metolius though. I recently bought a load of Metolius blocks and absolutely rinsed through them in no time whatsoever, whereas a bag of FL gorilla grip lasts ages. I can't really say why, but the Metolius stuff felt like it was disappearing into thin air almost. I'd chalk up, and then have to chalk up again before I'd even got on the rock.

So the real test is how much it actually costs over the course of a year rather than per kg.

jwi:

--- Quote from: remus on August 04, 2021, 08:05:36 am ---

--- End quote ---

The only difference I can tell between different brands (I have fairly sweaty hands) is that some are easier to pour into the chalkbag and some have chunks that are a bit to hard to crush between the fingers. I have never noticed any difference in how well they dry out the skin.

The cheapest I ever found was pure MgCO3 sold in bulk for laboratory use in chemistry. I bought about 5kg for next to nothing. I imagine that there are industry wholesalers online these days. The drawback is that you need a press if you want chunks, since it's sold as a very fine powder

User deactivated.:
I recently found myself failing near the top of a boulder project partly due to sweaty tips, which usually aren't an issue for me. I can't chalk mid-problem either as i'm already maxing out my power endurance.

Obviously I decided to go straight in for the most extreme solution and bought antihydral off ebay to try and secure the send. I'm a heavy lump and burn through skin rapidly so i'm hoping it will help both issues. I've always used Metolius chalk and never really considered varying it, so perhaps I should, but I'm assuming the brand of chalk will matter less for antihydral users?

remus:

--- Quote from: jwi on August 04, 2021, 08:51:25 am ---The drawback is that you need a press if you want chunks, since it's sold as a very fine powder

--- End quote ---

Have you had any luck pressing the super fine powder in to something that's usable for climbing? Any tips on a workable setup?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version