UKBouldering.com

Anyone not got your jab yet? Got concerns? Not got round to it? (Read 11715 times)

petejh

• forum hero
As an aside and slightly off-topic, this reminds me of reading up on longevity (related to pension forecasting) and discovering that you have to be careful with how you interpret the life 'average' expectancy and careful which data you take from the ONS tables. This is because they're cumulative. I.E. the life expectancy figure at birth is heavily skewed lower by all the people who'll die early along the way. Also they take account of people older than you, who were born when life expectancies were lower (generally life expectancy has improved over time.. austerity genocide claims notwithstanding).You need to calculate life expectancy at your current age, not from birth. For e.g. the average remaining life years at age 40 has already discounted the 'early unfortunate deaths' who didn't make it to age 40, and is far higher than the supposed 'average age' from birth. It's a moving average.

So need to be cautious using risk of dying and ONS life expectancies. (not saying Nutty's calcs are incorrect btw, and I agree with the sentiment. Just saying check what the figures are based on)

Explanation here: https://monevator.com/why-your-life-expectancy-is-much-longer-than-you-think/
Life expectancy: how long have I got?
The obvious way to guesstimate the length of your mortal coil is by using national life expectancy data. But if you simply google ‘average UK life expectancy’ then you’ll seriously underestimate your longevity risk.

Average life expectancy for males is currently 79.2 years. Females clock in at 82.9. But those headline stats do not squarely site you within swiping distance of Death’s scythe.

You can check how off-beam they could be for you by using the life expectancy calculator provided by The Office Of National Statistics (ONS).

If I type in my current age and sex then my average life expectancy is 85 – or 88 if I switch to being a woman.

I’m already up six years versus the UK male average of 79.2. Go me.

This happens because my personal statistic eliminates all the older people who are closer to Heaven’s Gate than me. Lifespans are expected to improve over time. My life expectancy would be 87 if I was 20 years younger and hoping to cash in on improved medical treatment, gene therapy, or artery-cleaning nanobots.

My chances of making my average life expectancy are higher than 50%, as you can see in the chart.

I’ve got a 25% shot of reaching age 94. I don’t fancy running the risk of going broke any earlier than that when the odds are so high.

I’ll even see my 99th birthday in one out of 10 possible futures.

From a planning perspective, 10% seems like a reasonable cut-off point. I’m prepared to take the risk of making it to a telegram from Her Maj without a penny left in my pot. That means I should plan for an estimated lifespan of more than 50 years if I retire today.

But I’m not retiring today. Moreover, today’s 65-year-old male is expected to live on average to age 86. That’s higher than my average of 85 even though I’m 20 years younger!

What gives? Was yesterday’s model male made of tougher stuff?

Well, the 65-year-old has already ducked the misfortune that can take out anyone at a younger age. By virtue of surviving to any given age, you patently haven’t died earlier.

In everyday life that goes without saying – I never congratulated grandma on her persistence. But it does matter in the average lifespan game.

The headline UK life expectancy figure measures death rates from birth. Therefore it’s lowered by everyone who fell at the earlier hurdles. By the time you’re 25, 65, or 102, that ‘from birth’ number is less and less relevant. It’s the average mortality data for your current age cohort that tells you more about your chances later in the race.

A quick tap into the calculator tells us that today’s 100-year-old is expected to make 102. They have a 25% chance of celebrating 103.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:12:43 pm by petejh »

ben

• obsessive maniac
So your normal risk of death in a year if you're 25-34 is 0.054% (I've averaged this across men and women, though the risk to men (~0.08%) is about double that to women in this age range (~0.04%)). Infection Fatality Rate is estimated to be 0.04% for 25-29, so again if you assume infection will occur within a year, covid risk is pretty similar to the overall risk in a normal year. Vaccination would reduce the covid risk by 95% to 0.002%.
Thanks Nutty!

galpinos

• forum hero
For e.g. the average remaining life years at age 40 has already discounted the 'early unfortunate deaths' who didn't make it to age 40, and is far higher than the supposed 'average age' from birth. It's a moving average.

You are spot on here Pete. That's the issue with the "it only kills 80yos, they are about to die anyway" rhetoric. If you are 80, your life expectancy is 89/90 with a 25% chance of making 93/94 (male/female).

andy popp

• forum hero
This guy's not worried. Seen in line at the vaccination centre this afternoon.

slab_happy

• forum hero
I respect the style there.

slab_happy

• forum hero
FWIW, I think one of the most useful things I've done in this whole mess has been to say (and give friends permission to pass on to their friends): "Okay, I'm a massive nerd who's been up to my ears reading up on the vaccine research; if you have particular concerns or worries, just let me know what they are and I will try to come back to you with info."

(And then try very very hard to make sure I don't ever sound dismissive or pressure-y in how I lay out the info and explanations.)

The people who've already made up their minds won't bite, of course. But I think I've managed to reassure at least one hesitant person.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Although I didn’t know this man, I have a surprising number of friends and acquaintances that fit his profile very well.
Quite a few of my life long friends have hit middle age and opted to fight it with exercise and nutrition. I think we’re far, far healthier, strong and active than our fathers were at this age, but too many seem to think “living healthy” makes them invulnerable:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-fit-and-healthy-man-42-killed-by-coronavirus-regretted-refusing-vaccine-as-sister-issues-misinformation-warning-12373389

Wellsy

• forum hero
I don't understand why people think getting the jab is going to be worse than getting the rona.

Like... whatever your physical situation. Its not get the jab or get nothing. It's get the jab or catch coronavirus without a vaccination against it. That's... obviously much worse?

slab_happy

• forum hero
Yeah, "health" has a lot of meanings, and there's a real danger that people conflate "overall physical fitness" with "immune system's ability to fight off a novel virus it has no previous exposure to and doesn't know how to fight".

It looks like one of the things that can contribute to very severe Covid is a cytokine storm, where the immune response goes wildly into overdrive and produces massive inflammation (which is believed to be one of the things that made the 1918 flu so lethal, and why it killed so many young adults).

Being able to climb a mountain or run a marathon is not going to do much to protect you from that, any more than they'd protect you from, say, getting anaphylactic shock from something you're severely allergic to.

You're in good shape and have a strong immune system, great! Give it a fair chance by giving it a preview of what it'll have to fight off so it can learn what to do (and how not to panic and go into overdrive)! That is literally how vaccines work!

slab_happy

• forum hero
A fifth of hospital admissions at the moment are 18-34:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58095503

The skew is going to be partly because older age-groups have much higher levels of full vaccination, but it's proof that Covid can still hit young people very hard. And there are a lot of very tired, traumatized doctors who are now having to watch patients the same as themselves or younger dying unnecessarily.

https://twitter.com/apnoeaboy/status/1415020567342862337
https://twitter.com/apnoeaboy/status/1420321794951630850
https://twitter.com/seahorse4000/status/1416152941346627585

slab_happy

• forum hero
And, in response to people trying to claim Mr Eyers is some freak outlier:

https://twitter.com/seahorse4000/status/1423016636949409801

"Every ICU in the UK has these patients right now. "

ICNARC says mean age of critically ill patients in hospital with Covid is 49 (and mean for "invasively ventilated in the first 24 hours" is 49.7), which means a lot are going to be younger than that:

https://www.icnarc.org/Our-Audit/Audits/Cmp/Reports

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
What ICNARC doesn’t show is the % percentage of those treated in icu for Covid are obese.
Having worked through the pandemic in ICU, for what I’ve seen, those in the late 40’s & 50’s who have big pot bellies and sedantry lives suffer most.

Also in regards to your previous post, you’ll find it’s also  nursing staff that are being traumatised by the deaths and the lack of resources to care for people.

slab_happy

• forum hero
True, didn't mean in any way to leave out the nursing staff, apologies!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Errr, slightly off-topic, but can you be temporarily re-named jab_happy whilst this is going on  ;D

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Errr, slightly off-topic, but can you be temporarily re-named jab_happy whilst this is going on  ;D

:agree:

slab_happy

• forum hero
Awwww, you guys say the nicest things!  :lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62548336 this should annoy the anti-vaxxers, which is an added bonus.

slab_happy

• forum hero
Yeah, it's very cool, though obviously it means we're still playing catch-up with the variants as they come along, which isn't ideal.

Nice round-up of potential next big steps in vaccine research: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/15/from-nasal-vaccines-to-pills-the-next-defences-against-covid

slab_happy

• forum hero
If you're under 50, not in a clinical risk group, and still haven't had a booster, you've only got a couple more weeks to get it:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-jab-booster-vaccine-end-b2269089.html

Ged

• junky
Genuine question, how come we will continue with flu vaccination programs,but not with covid vaccination programs?

slab_happy

• forum hero
From the article, looks like they are going to be heading towards a flu-style programme with (probably) annual or bi-annual Covid boosters for people over 50 or in high-risk groups, but reduced or no more boosters for the general population:

Meanwhile, the JCVI has said that there will be a need for another round of booster shots for those at highest risk in the autumn.

It has issued interim advice to the Government to prepare for the next round of booster shots later in the year.

It said that a smaller group of people should also be offered a spring booster including older people and those who are immunosuppressed, with details to be set out shortly.

Officials have also been advised that they may need an “emergency surge vaccine response” if a new variant emerges.

This is one reason why there's been some research on what happens if you give Covid and flu jabs at the same time (short answer: it's fine), because it makes things a hell of a lot more efficient if you can give people both at once.

James Malloch

• forum hero
If you're under 50, not in a clinical risk group, and still haven't had a booster, you've only got a couple more weeks to get it:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-jab-booster-vaccine-end-b2269089.html

If you’re under 50 and not eligible for the additional (4th?) booster, you can get it if you say you care for older people, visit older people (probably even if you just know someone older based on how I was questioned).

We went to a pop up place (in Skipton again on Saturday) and they  were trying to give them out to anyone really. Sounds like they’ve got a lot spare and not much demand…

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I struggle with being classified as an "older person" at 53.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Amen.

I’d throw in a hallelujah, but my arthritis is playing up…

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Creaky salute.

4 jabs in, still blaming Covid for the awful drop off in running performance though. Or less training.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal