UKBouldering.com

Identifying Weaknesses (Read 9250 times)

Wellsy

• forum hero
#50 Re: Identifying Weaknesses
July 18, 2021, 09:57:27 am
You can pigeonhole why you failed into broad categories for the purpose of identifying weakness.
I couldn't do the move(s) because I was too pumped.
I couldn't do the move(s) because I wasn't strong enough in my fingers/shoulders/biceps.
I couldn't do the move(s) because my core/tension/chain couldn't hold my foot/hip/shoulder in the most efficient position required.
I couldn't do the move(s) because I wasn't flexible enough.
I couldn't do the move(s) because I was too nervous of committing due to fear (of falling, of failure, of injury)

Mostly:
Reach.
Conditions.

(Good answer to a good question btw)

Shit beta! Please don't forget about those of us who can't see a sequence to save our lives. For just £2 a month you can sponsor a boulderer with shit beta and send someone to heckle them as they fall of their project again.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#51 Re: Identifying Weaknesses
July 28, 2021, 12:07:38 pm
The first is ‘injuries make you stronger in the long run’ - in reality they make you miserable, you lose years of hard Work if a long one and time you’ll never get back. 
#BollocksSayings

It's funny, I remember many years ago seeing some bullshit "injuries make you stronger/better in the long run"/"every cloud has a sliver lining" type post from Shauna when she got injured. Like the miserable dick I am, I thought to myself "let's see you spout that shit when you've been injured for multiple years in a row"... bet she doesn't do many posts like that now.

“If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness.”
The legend that is Jack Handy.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#52 Re: Identifying Weaknesses
August 01, 2021, 07:10:44 pm
The contrast between the sunny enthusiasm of aspirant hard boulderer Wellsy and the jaded misery of 8B Doylo and 8B+ Barrows is quite something. Careful what you wish for Wellsy.  :lol:
Fucking LOL  :lol:

Just read through this thread. Interesting stuff. I like Pete's in-depth post. I don't have much to add. I suspect a lot of your struggle to identify stuff is just relative newness, Wellsy. You'll get used to self analysis in time, especially if you practice it - and try to be ruthlessly honest doing so, even if you don't like what you see.

webbo

• forum hero
#53 Re: Identifying Weaknesses
August 01, 2021, 08:16:57 pm
This is all bollocks.
 Stick with your strengths if you going to be shit, be a little less shit at something.  What’s the point of trying to work your weaknesses to be still shit at them.
I remember having a conversation with Boring Chris about losing weight. He said “ what if you lose a stone in weight and you are still weak”

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#54 Re: Identifying Weaknesses
August 01, 2021, 08:19:36 pm
Then either your power-to-weight will be better, or if it isn't, you've fucked up somewhere like losing a stone of muscle from back shoulders and arms  ::)

webbo

• forum hero
#55 Re: Identifying Weaknesses
August 01, 2021, 08:35:44 pm
Then either your power-to-weight will be better, or if it isn't, you've fucked up somewhere like losing a stone of muscle from back shoulders and arms  ::)
No despite better to power to weight you are still climbing shit.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#56 Re: Identifying Weaknesses
August 01, 2021, 08:36:40 pm
Well then there's a clearly a weakness you haven't identified that you need to find and address....

webbo

• forum hero
#57 Re: Identifying Weaknesses
August 01, 2021, 08:42:32 pm
Yet here you are  umpteen years in to trying address over grading and it’s still affecting your climbing.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#58 Re: Identifying Weaknesses
August 01, 2021, 08:49:26 pm
I sometimes wonder if the best training is the training you can be fucked doing.

I mean, obviously, if we all had infinite time, energy, and psyche for doing dull-as-shit circuits/repeaters/board sessions, campussing,.... [insert whatever thing you don't like here].... then, doing precisely the correct training will give you the optimum performance improvement trajectory.

And if you have weaknesses, working them might bring about some quick, slow, slower, incremental gainz. But, you'll probably be spending even more time doing shit you don't like....

Conversely, you might have some as yet unknown flaw that could be relatively easily addressed, and potentially by doing things you don't hate. If so, you're in luck - have at it!

If, like the rest of us, your weaknesses are your weaknesses cos you can't be fucked with X, Y or Z. then...well...how much do you want it?!?!?

Unsurprisingly, my biggest weakness is my dislike for structured training. Luckily, my biggest strength is off the couch ability and a propensity not to lose much fitness during time off....

Wellsy

• forum hero
#59 Re: Identifying Weaknesses
August 01, 2021, 08:59:01 pm
The contrast between the sunny enthusiasm of aspirant hard boulderer Wellsy and the jaded misery of 8B Doylo and 8B+ Barrows is quite something. Careful what you wish for Wellsy.  :lol:
Fucking LOL  :lol:

Just read through this thread. Interesting stuff. I like Pete's in-depth post. I don't have much to add. I suspect a lot of your struggle to identify stuff is just relative newness, Wellsy. You'll get used to self analysis in time, especially if you practice it - and try to be ruthlessly honest doing so, even if you don't like what you see.

I think so too! It's always worth asking for the opinion of the more experienced though, in case you're missing something. As it happened I have found that working on my weaknesses has made a difference in the past.

I do agree that the routine you will do is the best routine, though. Lattice could probably build me a plan to make me better faster but I probably would struggle to follow it (although in all fairness if I paid for it I probably would as then there's an incentive to get money's worth, regular catch-ups which would make me want to do a good job etc)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#60 Re: Identifying Weaknesses
August 01, 2021, 09:22:36 pm
I sometimes wonder if the best training is the training you can be fucked doing.

I've been saying exactly this for years. 50% effective training that you do 100% of your training time is better than 80% effective training you do 40% of your training time. That doesn't preclude working your weaknesses but it can be useful to try to find less effective but fun ways to do so that you'll actually stick with.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal