UKBouldering.com

NYM Bouldering - Clemmits (Read 2069 times)

JoelWood

NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 09:48:31 am
Hi All,

I've seen that access was banned in 2018, and it would be lovely if the BMC had been hard at work trying to reestablish this access..

Although i am assuming not, is this still the case?

Going to be up near Lealholme for a family holiday and as a boulderer Clemmit's looked lovely! Going off of Betaguides guide, but now found access is banned.

These bloody farmers and their pheasants i've had enough of this at crags in the Peak!

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 10:25:54 am
Clemmits in the woods is not on access land, the outer bit is. Franco is your man who will know the up to date situation. He has it as still banned in his routes guide which is more recent than the Beta guide.
I think Clemmits having no access has something to do with access being allowed to Danby crag, but I might have got that wrong.

JoelWood

#2 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 10:44:08 am
Well that is a god damn shame, the woods looks the best bit! Can we not be done with all the draconian aged estates owning our natural beauty spots for their "sport" of shooting animals?!

Unfortunately i'm not a tradder so i hadn't even considered Danby in the slightest, pure shame to allow one crag which is hugely different to the other.

I have always been one to not mind the dodgy access (crag z, x, q etc.  :whistle:) but this seems more sensitive than most, is Clemmit's out worth the visit if the woods is not visited?

Also on the back of this, any suggestions for a July boulder? Based around the Lealholme area as mentioned above but will be driving.

Preferably with a short-ish walk in as 1, i'm a boulderer used to the lovely short walk in's on grit, 2, potential for my SO to be joining who struggles with long walks.

Thanks!

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 10:55:36 am
As fair chunk of the NYM economy is based on shooting. Taking the land off them is a bit pipe dream, you should take a look who owns some of these estates.
However maybe one day.
There isn’t that much at Clemmits out. Duck Stones is worth a visit 15 walk in 20 walk out. Stormy Hall 1 minute to top boulder, bottom boulder gets a bit hot in the sun and the bracken might be a problem.
Ravenswick quarry 2 minute walk for a poor mans Minus ten.
Stoupe Brow is only a couple of minutes walk.

JoelWood

#4 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 11:30:11 am
Oooft one of Henry VIII's wives?! Ok that ownership goes a long way back and a long way up.

I'd never suggest taking the land off them, as things can be done to work in tandem with the hunters; avoid in season, going on a Sunday (as it SHOULD be illegal to hunt on Sundays in the UK anyway -  not guaranteed they wouldn't) etc.

Maybe one day.. Maybe one day i can get to the (what looks like good) mantel-y goodness of Celmmit's woods.

I'll have a flick through the crags suggested though and see if anything peaks interest as much as Clemmit's did.

Stabbsy

• junky
#5 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 11:34:02 am
I thought Camp Hill was worth the effort. Similar parking to Clemmits, but other side of the road.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#6 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 11:38:14 am
Yep - shout out for Duck Rocks too.

JoelWood

#7 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 11:52:21 am
Alrighty thanks guys! I'll get some research in, I did see some good stuff about the duck boulders, on an article by Mike Adams on Moon where he'd even "saved the best till last" so fingers crossed!

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 01:03:36 pm
I would imagine it would be quite hard to climb a lot of stuff at Clemmits now, given a lot of things were dug out the hill side.

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#9 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 01:20:44 pm
I thought Camp Hill was worth the effort. Similar parking to Clemmits, but other side of the road.

I went try Phileas Fogg at Camp hill in July a few years ago and it was like something out of that King Kong. 8ft of bracken, kamikaze ticks throwing themselves down from the canopy above, vegetation tearing at bare legs. It might not be too bad yet, and I maybe took the wrong route ( I came in from farm below), but be prepared for jungle warfare.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#10 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 01:29:43 pm
Alrighty thanks guys! I'll get some research in, I did see some good stuff about the duck boulders, on an article by Mike Adams on Moon where he'd even "saved the best till last" so fingers crossed!

A very thinly-disguised attempt at self-promotion there, I (and Nigel P, Lee, Mike etc) put up loads there on a weekend!

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 06:45:52 pm
Yeah, Clemmits was getting pretty grubby when we went before the ban,maybe 3 years ago.
Duck was all clean And good.
Camp Hill as TTT said above was excellent but total bracken hell, we approached from the top road as described in  Lee R's guide. Awful, ticky head height bracken, strapped the pads on our fronts and surged blindly onwards. And the same on the return journey but uphill....the bouldering was terrific tho'.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#12 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 05, 2021, 09:28:17 pm

A very thinly-disguised attempt at self-promotion there, I (and Nigel P, Lee, Mike etc) put up loads there on a weekend!

A few clips of Mike on the boulders at Duck in this vid I did with Lee.

JoelWood

#13 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 06, 2021, 08:44:23 am
And this is why we all love this website!

Thanks a lot everyone, I'll have a good old look.

Forget how lucky the peak is to be little bothered by ticks, as for the bracken I'm 5'5" so it would definitely be taller than me!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#14 Re: NYM Bouldering - Clemmits
July 06, 2021, 08:53:31 am

A few clips of Mike on the boulders at Duck in this vid I did with Lee.

Excellent stuff!

Proper nice bloke Lee, he gave us a proper tour when we popped up there.

I did have a video on Vimeo of Duck Rocks, Stoupe Brow and a bit of Clemmit's but it got killed by music rights. Might have to re-edit it and stick it back up.

@Joel - FWIW the walk-in for Duck is fine for tick-risk, just a wander across some moorland.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal