UKBouldering.com

Kids bike wanted in Sheffield (Read 2001 times)

kac

• addict
Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 04, 2021, 01:54:08 pm
Bit of a long shot but does anyone in the sheffield area have a decent kids bike they are looking to sell or any recommendations for a good new one? Looking for a first pedal bike for a three year old. They seem to either weigh a ton or cost a fortune!

SamT

• forum hero
#1 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 04, 2021, 03:55:35 pm
Sorry - can't help on the supply side but I'd say Isla bikes - every time...

Seem really expensive at first, but they hold their value really well, and can go on ebay for not much less than new price (condition dependant).   Always lots on Ebay.

Isla Cnoc probably.

A cheaper alternative is a Dawes.  We were lucky enough to find completely mint ones on Ebay for about £40 quid I think.  A blowfish and a rocket, but once we moved onto Isla's we never looked back.

Just moving my lad off a 26" Beinn as he's now getting keen on off road stuff, and needs front sus. forks.  Been looking at Creigs, however not a lot on ebay, and new they are just a bit too spenny. But found a nice Frog 69 on pinkbike that fits the bill.

I think the thing with kids bikes is to get them as light as possible for your budget.  Much nicer experience for kids if they're not lugging the thing about and less cumbersome when they inevitably fall off and wrap themselves up in it.  Forget suspension forks.  Just dead weight.

Also, I assume your kid can ride... if not, I'd forget stabalisers, get them whizzing about on a balance bike then transferring to pedals is a doddle.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 04:02:13 pm by SamT »

SamT

• forum hero
#2 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 04, 2021, 04:00:37 pm

steveyo

#3 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 04, 2021, 04:06:31 pm
The Carrera cosmos/cosmic(same bike different colours) is very good for the money - alloy frame, 16" wheels. As Sam T says, a balance bike(with a left hand rear brake if possible) is also very much worth using first.  I did get lucky in that Halfords had it at £80 off when I bought it. But would have happily paid full price

Isla bikes are expensive but the benefit is they hold their price when you are finished and you'll make most if not all of the money back when you sell it.

Dolly

• forum hero
#4 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 04, 2021, 04:10:53 pm
We’ve got one that you’re welcome to. I’ve knackered my back ATM so can’t really move to get to it and take pics. As soon as I can I will. Obvs NP if you need something before that

webbo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 04, 2021, 05:59:39 pm
Frog bikes are another good bike. My grandson has just gone from the 20 inch wheel one to the 24 inch wheels. Daughter got £250 for the 2 year old bike.

kac

• addict
#6 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 04, 2021, 06:51:31 pm
Thanks for all the advice everyone and thanks dolly for the offer. Would be interested in some more details when u can. Hope the back is better soon!

At the moment we have a balance bike and he is great on that. He keeps lifting his feet up and balancing and i was told thats a sign they are ready for peddles. Hes only 3 and 3 months so no rush - I suspect he may not get peddling yet as hes not the best at following instructions. I have seen some frog and Islabikes for sale secondhand but not locally and would rather buy in person. That halfords one looks pretty good so if nothing comes up that looks a good option.

Simon W

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 04, 2021, 09:30:01 pm
 Have you thought about renting?

www.thebikeclub.co.uk

My lad was 3 in April, we pay £9 a month for a Frome bike from these guys. Been a good experience in terms of service so far and bike is great. We got given a Frog bike that my 5 year olds uses and can confirm they’re very good. Have had friends who bought cheap heavy things for their kids and it made it hard for them to learn.

Both of mine went from being handy on a balance bike to riding in a straight line on a pedal bike within a day, great way to avoid the whole stabiliser thing.

kac

• addict
#8 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 05, 2021, 03:09:31 pm
Yep I have thought about renting although we have another kid on the way so its probably gonna work out a fair bit cheaper over time to buy. Guess it depends on how long the bike lasts. Is about 2 years realistic before it becomes too small?

Simon W

• menacing presence
#9 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 05, 2021, 06:37:30 pm
2 years might be a bit of a stretch, my 5 year old would be too big for the 3 year old’s bike.

A bike club type thing could be an option for your second kid’s bike, that’s what we did. The ‘rent’ pays for the bike in instalments and you can settle the balance at any point if you want to buy or trade up for a bigger bike as they grow.

As soon as our youngest can get on his sister’s bike we’re thinking to trade his in and rent one for her which we’ll buy at some point so the lad can have it as well. They also buy bikes back off you.

Hope it goes well whatever you do, it’s lovely seeing your kid develop a skill like that.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 06, 2021, 10:09:53 am
If you want them to be on the right size bike then 2 years is way too long... So far our 6 year old has had indoor Sphervelo balance bike (1-2), 10" balance bike (2-3), 12" Commencal pedal bike (3-4), 16" Vitus (4-5), 20" Spawn MTB (6-?). Luckily most are in reasonable condition and he has a little brother that is already showing considerable interest in cycling so we will hopefully get our moneys worth before they go to eBay.

I would also recommend considering a full face helmet if your child shows any interest in proper trails. We learnt the hard way that kids can smash front teeth back up into the gum potentially damaging the adult tooth behind it...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 06, 2021, 11:05:44 am
Sorry - can't help on the supply side but I'd say Isla bikes - every time...

+1. We got a Cnoc 16 2nd hand, son used it and now daughter, and will probably be able to sell it on for about the same as we bought it for. Son is now on a Beinn, but is going to be for a while, so will probably need a second one if it comes up as she has nearly outgrown the Cnoc.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 11:29:20 am by SA Chris »

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 06, 2021, 11:16:23 am
What size do you need?

There's a local charity here (Cycles Recycled) that recondition bikes and move them on. They get some crap as you might imagine but every now and then again they have something fairly good.

SamT

• forum hero
#13 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 06, 2021, 02:23:52 pm

More generally -

https://www.cyclesprog.co.uk/  is a good website, with great UK-centric reviews.

kac

• addict
#14 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 06, 2021, 03:44:00 pm
Thanks everyone. Have decided to go for a 'shop soiled' isla Cnoc 14 large. I can see 2 yrs was optimistic but he'd better get a year and a half out of it!

SamT

• forum hero
#15 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 06, 2021, 04:24:04 pm
Nice -  :great:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#16 Re: Kids bike wanted in Sheffield
July 07, 2021, 08:49:57 am
I expect the "shop soiling" is chipped paint, my one bugbear about these bikes is the paint finish is really good, but chips very easily.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal