technical > computers, technology and the internet

Computer Monitors

(1/4) > >>

jwi:
For the first time in more than a decade, I am in the market for a monitor. The monitor will be used in my home office. If the colour and resolution is really bad I suppose that I can always edit photos on my laptop (≈ 3 yo macbook pro), but I would prefer if I could do it on my stationary (but I am a bit worried that this would require stupid money). I will write stuff, make powerpoint presentations and do some programming in various IDEs, and quite possibly do a bit of layout work.

I guess that 24 inches is large enough? I do not require a built in webcam. This is all I know.

I guess I am a bit overwhelmed by the reading required on the topic. Can someone precise it for me?

Cheers.

Paul B:
There was another thread on this recently:
https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,30799.msg614846.html#msg614846

The Benq we have is fantastic and when I went back to the office on Friday reminded me how poor the work supplied monitor is for CAD work.

jwi:
thx!

James Malloch:
I’ve had a look through TT’s thread but I’m not quite sure what I’m looking for so thought I should ask.

I use spreadsheets and code each day and I’m looking to upgrade my monitors.

My current monitor is a bit crap with colours. I feel like the shit contrast/blacks make it harder to look at things.

I’m still trying to decide between single/dual screen (I like the idea of being able to have one in portrait mode) but I wondered if anyone can advise on what to look out for spec wise?

I’m probably going to go for screens under 24” if getting dual so I think this rules out a lot of the higher resolution models.

tk421a:
Personally big big vote for dual screens.
I have 2 27" side by side both landscape, one is 4k (3840x2160) 60hz refresh rate and 2nd 2560x1440 165Hz refresh for the odd bit of gaming. I don't really notice any differences between the 2. So wouldn't worry about getting 4k for a 24" monitor. Though I do notice a difference between my wife's 1920x1080 monitor.
One tip - I've got both mine mounted on a vesa dual monitor mount - something like this. Frees up space under the monitor on the desk and makes minor adjustments super easy. Check that the monitor you buy has a vesa mount option if that's of interest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version