UKBouldering.com

Portland bouldering with toddler, baby and dogs. (Read 1166 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
Going to Dorset for a little break next week and was thinking about going along to Portland for the day and doing a little bouldering. Any recommendations on somewhere good to visit with a toddler, a baby and two dogs (and a wife :-) ). i.e. somewhere with an easy approach, flat ground (sandy or grassy is ideal) and couple decent problems around 7a. If there is nowhere that fits the bill, no worries, I'll survive and we'll just go for a mooch about.

Any other Dorset recommendations, bouldering or otherwise, also appreciated. We're staying in Lyme Regis.

wasbeen

• menacing presence
The cuttings boulderfield is probably the best for 7a boulders but not that great for a family. If you could drop the family off at the beach at Church ope cove, it could work as it is only a few minutes walk.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
Depends how you are with the possibility of big drops.....

I live in Dorset and take my 4yo out with me often when I go out.

- New Cuttings - flat crag base, semi enclosed area, big track to walk in along, 10m walk-in  - probably the top choice from that angle. Around 7a - Phat Slapper, Sub Youth, other stuff on those walls
- Neddyfields - flat crag base, very short walk-in again on a big track - but whilst there’s flat ground at the base of the bouldering there is also a cliff edge on the far side of the track. Enough space as long as no one is silly, but less space to be free range, more need to keep an eye on everyone. Around 7a - Petes Rib, Fontamel
- Cuttings boulderfield - if you’re going to go I would probably suggest the far end round the tank boulder since it is easiest access and has less bramble bashing. Around 7a - Virgin Albino, and a few 6cs
- St Aldhelms is a long if easy walk and a more restricted crag base than Neddyfields, but is delightful position.
- The cave at Portland Bill has no family space right there but has bouldery coves nearby and a cafe serving ice cream and a lighthouse and stuff to occupy people. Microscopic walk-in. Very good climbing.

If you want the family near you, I’d go New Cuttings as the best fit, if you can deposit them nearby for a bit then the Bill has the most entertainment options for them probably.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
The cuttings boulderfield is probably the best for 7a boulders but not that great for a family. If you could drop the family off at the beach at Church ope cove, it could work as it is only a few minutes walk.

This is what I did, the Cuttings on one side and the Southwell Landslips area on the other side give you a lot to go at. Quite a lot of steps down to the beach but a proper paved path.

Lyme is lovely, the coastal path walks there are great, some great seafood and other eating options on the font by the beach. The Anchor Inn in Seatown just down the coast is a nice pub and the walks onto Golden Cap or Thornecombe Beacon for there are the classics of the coast.

JamieG

• forum hero
Cheers for the replies. Sounds like Church Ope Cove and cuttings might be the best fit. I’ll look into the other suggestions too. Looking forward to visiting. Never been to Dorset.

wasbeen

• menacing presence
If you do go down to the cuttings boulderfield. It is worth having a few boulders in mind e.g lighting strike, terminator, years around the sun, liquid sun.

However, have a look for other groups from the top and mooch over for beta, directions etc. Otherwise you may well spend much of your time looking for the problems and battling the undergrowth.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Knowing almost nothing about Portland bouldering I'd go for The Bill as it is a tourist attraction you might conceivably visit even without the bouldering. This has to be a good thing on a non-climbing family trip. The rock thereabouts seems decent too.

Lyme is nice in an unassuming fashion as everyone says. West Bay is a family-friendly beach (with good fossil-hunting opportunities).  The whole coastal footpath is good to walk, especially the section from Charmouth east to Golden Cap.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Looking forward to visiting. Never been to Dorset.

Aye, in Dorset? I endorse it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal