UKBouldering.com

Lakes recommendations, based in Kendal and Keswick (Read 4620 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Possibly.  I found myself even viewing a spectacular flying dismount after a finishing jug shattered, as part of the jolie laide charm of the place!

No injury I hope?! Which problem?

Uninjured thankfully.  It was one of the mass of spiky jugs at the top of Technobabble - I was using it to lower myself down after finishing.  I don't think the problem is significantly changed.

And for your entertainment, here's the event.  I was there (obviously) but still feel the suspense when I watch myself suddenly propelled from view.... did I survive my unexpected dismount?!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Brilliant! Impressed that you just took it in your stride and didn't even shout in alarm. Love the shirt as well.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Cheers. The shirt was a birthday present from my brother, a couple of days ago.  A bit of a Cuban, "Al Pacino" in Scarface vibe.  After decades of only wearing plain black or dark blue,  I've recently started to wear brightly patterned shirts and video myself. Not sure if I'm having a harmless mid life crisis, or if I've become a monstrous, egotistical, show pony.

Jackob

I was at kentmere today and the midges were absolutely horrendous! :furious:

webbo

• forum hero
You had look of Oz out of  Auf Wiedersehen pet walking back to turn the camera off.
Classic.

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
Bit late to the party sorry Moose but:
Gouther crag bouldering in Swindale is another to add to your potential list, some very good problems, and a good summer venue being high up and getting little sun. Also often dry when central Lakes is wet. Needs a breeze to be midge free. JMascis/Coconutter feels quite spooky without a spotter (flat landing but highball), but the rest is ok solo with 2 pads.
Other spots to consider are:
Long Crag Wrynose (not to be confused with Long Scar Wrynose). It's midge free, high up but a 20 min walk in. Needs cloud cover in summer, fine solo with one pad.
Rolling Rock near Ullswater: Generally midge free, high up, 40 min walk. Needs 2 pads if solo and a pair of tent stakes is handy to prevent involuntary pad-tobogganing rides.
If you head to Sampson Stones, it's far less strenuous to approach from Cockley Beck (between Hardknott and Wrynose Pass) up the Mosedale valley, about 150m less vertical height gain than the epic guidebook approach  :shrug: It's the same way any sane traddie approaches Esk Buttress or East Butress.
I'm tradding at Gouther tomorrow so I'll keep an eye out for you.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Good work Moose, I like the zombie-shuffle back on screen.

willdcc

Also late to the party but imagine there will be people reading this post at some point looking for similar information in the future.

Despite the reputation of the Lad Stones I would argue there are quite a few problems that can be done (relatively) safely on your own with a couple of pads. Take with a pinch of salt, and not that I've done them all but to name a few:

- Lard Lad
- Hades Lair
- Rocko's Modern Life should feel pretty comfortable above limited pads once you've done Hades.
- Artois. It's a bit high but landing is flat and it's over when you hit the jug.
- Shyla Stylez
- From the Earth's Couldron/Black Couldron
- Traci Lords (I imagine)
- Probably others... I've only been once.

Heading up there this afternoon by myself and will delete this post if I end up having to do the long, boggy crawl back to the car park.

For what it's worth virtual crag will keep you entertained but don't spend a holiday there.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
For what it's worth virtual crag will keep you entertained but don't spend a holiday there.

Judging from my first session, an entire holiday at Virtual Crag would leave it bereft of holds.

I followed up Virtual Crag with a shortish session at Kentmere (notable for the crimpiest 6c warm up ever). Today was Dunnerdale; which was nice... once I found the boulders (on my third quest up  steep, densely forested hillside).

I'm grateful for your tips about Lad Stones, and I'd be interested to hear how you found the landings. There and Seathwaite are on the list for any revisit to the area. 

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I ended  up at Dunnerdale, rather than Seathwaite as initially planned, because I was already knackered and tempted by the promise of a good 7b, not far from a bridleway.  After three walks up and down the overgrown hillside, I found the rock I sought. Lovely rough crimps and worth the midge bites; recommended.  Lad Stones and Seathwaite are definitely on the wishlist for hypotheticical cooler yet dry times.  Why do I only visit the Lakes in summer, when the bracken is high, the midges voracious, and the rock is slippery? 

Keswick area next week; hoping to get to St Bees, or at least Gillercombe / Sour Milk.  Although, a reacquaintance with the Bowderstone that isn't a humiliating reminder of my decrepitude would be fine.

willdcc

Nice work. Wilding does look worthy of a midge bite or two.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to climb high enough to put myself at risk at Lad Stones. Mostly scrabbled around on the floor. However it was a nice temperature on Sunday afternoon and am yet to see a midge there.

Edit: If you want to go and put some pads underneath Secret Garden while in Keswick and the conditions are up to it then let me know

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
You had look of Oz out of  Auf Wiedersehen pet walking back to turn the camera off.
Classic.

I was thinking more Kramer from Seinfeld. Amazing clip either way.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal