UKBouldering.com

Modem/Router recommendations (Read 2146 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Modem/Router recommendations
June 14, 2021, 11:37:23 am
Hi there, our old DSL 3782 modem/router ( https://eu.dlink.com/me/sr/products/dsl-3782-wireless-ac1200-dual-band-vdsl-adsl-modem-router ) that came with the broadband deal (talktalk) is probably struggling with all our devices etc... plus apparently its got several security issues now. It may also be why mrsTT is having problems with her work VPN/Network apparently...

Anyway - trying to find a sensibly priced replacement (under a ton - preferably as close to £50 as possible) is proving err.. very confusing... Basically we dont need mega coverage (simple terrace house) but something reliable and secure.

Any recommendations?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Modem/Router recommendations
June 14, 2021, 12:08:02 pm
Leave talktalk - anyone would surely be better - and get a free one?

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Modem/Router recommendations
June 14, 2021, 12:12:51 pm

:D ahhh... if only... its in MrsTT's name and she doesnt want to lose her longstanding tiscali email address... I've tried - believe me I've tried.... To be fair - they've been decent the last 3 years or so - cheap and pretty good speed...

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Modem/Router recommendations
June 14, 2021, 03:04:33 pm

Free ones aren't usually great though; I've just had my folks struggling to set up smart plugs on their new BT Home Hub suitable for FTTP and there's no way of telling it to broadcast 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks with different SSIDs which made troubleshooting fairly painful.

TomTom - I've got a Plusnet router that's not much use to me as I'm on 4G these days? It's white with bright pink feet.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Modem/Router recommendations
June 14, 2021, 03:54:01 pm
what model is it Paul? Thanks.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Modem/Router recommendations
June 14, 2021, 04:06:07 pm
Hub One I'm pretty sure:

If you order any Plusnet Fibre broadband package, you’ll receive the Plusnet Hub One router. The Hub One is a rebranded version of the BT HomeHub 5A router (aka the Home Hub One)

Source: https://www.fasterbroadband.co.uk/broadband-reviews/plusnet

crzylgs

• stalker
#6 Re: Modem/Router recommendations
June 14, 2021, 04:36:56 pm

:D ahhh... if only... its in MrsTT's name and she doesnt want to lose her longstanding tiscali email address... I've tried - believe me I've tried.... To be fair - they've been decent the last 3 years or so - cheap and pretty good speed...

Can't you tempt her with a MrsTTattiscali.co.uk@gmail.com ? :D

Serious answer I'm a fan of TP-Link then it comes to the 'cheap but decent' router selection. Browse their range and spend what you're willing to am sure it'll only ever be a vast improvement over whatever TalkTalk gave you!

Oooh one caveat - check that TalkTalk actually allow you to use a 3rd party router i.e. obtain your full broadband username and password from them in advance. It's a while since I've dealt with things like this but remember have issues with some customers in the past struggling to get their ISP to pass over the required details.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Modem/Router recommendations
June 14, 2021, 04:53:36 pm
Pretty sure my TP Link (which I thought was great and is now working as an AP) had the ISP settings all built in, you just needed your username/password.

It also had twin USB ports which was useful for network storage.

crzylgs

• stalker
#8 Re: Modem/Router recommendations
June 14, 2021, 05:07:14 pm
Yeah - most routers should auto config the raw settings, but I had an experience in the past (Possibly with SKY my memory is hazy) who insisted it was against their TOS to allow customers to use 3rd party routers and refused to divulge their username and password over the phone.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Modem/Router recommendations
June 14, 2021, 05:28:09 pm
@crzlegs I tried that about 8 years ago. Even set the reply to email address on her Tiscali to gmail account and it hasn’t stuck.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Modem/Router recommendations
July 03, 2021, 05:36:33 pm
An update. Thanks for all the suggestions. On a bit of a whim, I bought a Google Wi-Fi Mesh set up (three repeaters £170 ish) after reading that the modem bit of the router I have is alright - just the Wi-Fi that’s log.

One of them plugs into the modem/router then you position the others and the google home app helps you fine tune their location. This seems to have made a big difference (only one day in) with everything running smoothly. Even our TV that’s previously struggled as next door have their router the other side of the party wall to it. It meant setting up a new ssid/network name and transferring all the connected things - but that’s been fine (apart from the printer..).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal