UKBouldering.com

Low insurance cars you can sleep in recs (Read 4127 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Low insurance cars you can sleep in recs
June 06, 2021, 07:06:38 pm
...for my son. I know nothing though someone once mentioned you can get ‘pods’? for some cars like Berlingos or did I imagine it?

remus

• forum hero
These are probably the pods you're thinking of http://www.amdro.co.uk/ Rob Greenwood seems to rate them https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/tents+bivvys/amdro_boot_jump-7133

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Perfect

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I'd have thought any decent-sized estate would be your go-to here, though the struggle will be insurance group. Plenty of Saab 9-5 estates out there, but I'm guessing even the 1.8t and the diesels are big money to cover.

Other that that...what about "hatchstates" - there are loads of modern hatches in weird estate variants - the Peugeot 206 SW, Fabia Estate, Golf Estate etc. Reckon you could pick up a passable one of them for 2 bags and probably alright insurance-wise.

tomtom

• forum hero
Autotrader app/Website shows IG under 10, less than £2K and estate gives you few choices.

Focus, Kia Ceed, Astra, Fabia (all estate)

Edit. If you go down the MPV route plenty of Renault Scenics and Vauxhall Meriva (too small) and zafira’s for under a G.

tomtom

• forum hero
Double edit. Looks like a Renault grand scenic makes a good sleeper. Big enough and you can unclip all the seats. See here

https://www.traveltw.de/nice-to-know/how-to-convert-a-car-into-a-camper/

Only two on Autotrader - but both cheap… and low insurance (I think) 08E

tomtom

• forum hero
Also loads of car to camper conversions here. scenic seems to be a popular choice….

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/706783735240814828/

Steve R

• forum abuser
If estates are too much on insurance, small petrol hatchback could be an option  - don't see it done very often but if you remove all the seats (leave driver's seat tho  :geek:) and do some diy bed platform building there's plenty of room for sleeping and cooking inside.  Not so good for taking passengers but on the upside you don't own a 'pod' or a 'berlingo'

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
Berlingo with an Amdro or similar is ace. That's my main ride! We got a brand new 2019 XL and the camper unit for under €20k total. Go a few years used and you'll easily get under 10k all in. Several friends have older models which have done 300k km and are still going. Not bad little vans for the money. For euro-folk https://www.furgonearte.com/ offers a good Amdro alternative now they no longer ship outside of the UK. Here's ours:

Paul B

• forum hero
I can't see that you'll beat an older type Berlingo for that brief (as others have said).

sdm

• forum abuser
Berlingos/Partners are great as a practical vehicle for camping and transporting loads of pads etc.

If you can find one of the higher spec ones at a good price, they have:
- loads of useful built in storage solutions that can store all of your camping gear, guidebooks etc out of sight. I used to store a stove, pans, bowls, cutlery, sleeping bag, change of clothes and toiletries in the cubby holes under the floor, my guidebooks in the overhead storage, and change of clothes, food and chargers etc in the central pillar. I had everything I needed in the car for a weekend away so I could leave at a moment's notice. There aren't many cars where you can store all of that completely out of sight.
- 3 separate rear seats that can be removed in seconds which is really useful if you want to maximize the space for pads/passengers
- cruise control and driver's seat armrests that make long journeys surprisingly comfortable. High spec ones that don't have cruise control can have it retro fitted cheaply but it's a much bigger task for models without the right pedals

But one word of caution: read up on the 1.6hdi PSA engine and turbo failures. Run a mile from anything with that engine if it has had the turbo replaced or if you have any concerns over how it may have been maintained/serviced.

If the turbo does go, it will cost more than the car is worth to fix and there is a high chance of it going again in the near future. The turbo going isn't the cause of the problem; it is a symptom which can be caused by a number of different issues which range from expensive to very expensive to fix.

I would avoid that engine completely unless you know enough to avoid a dud. The same engine was also common in Fords, Mazdas, Volvos, Suzukis and Minis.

tomtom

• forum hero
I thought the 1.6 PSA engine was decent?* Any turbo diesel will give you a massive bill of the turbo goes pop

*disclaimer of having done 130k in my present car with one…

Anyway - surely this would fit the bill? 😁

sdm

• forum abuser
I thought the 1.6 PSA engine was decent?*
It has a relatively common, and very expensive failure mode. The problems are generally caused by use of incorrect oil, poor workmanship during an oil change, not getting the oil changed on time or an oil leak.

If it goes once, it is likely to keep going again (most garages will not include a warranty on replacement turbos for this reason. PSA themselves will not guarantee replacement turbos on this engine) and the car is an economic write off.

If you know how to avoid the dodgy ones, it is a decent engine. Get a bad one, and you're in for a world of pain.

The old 1.8 diesels were bombproof and it was common to see them still going strong with 3-400k on the clock but I'm guessing there aren't many of them for sale any more.

tomtom

• forum hero
Good reminder mine is 1.5-2k overdue on an oil change… ;)

turnipturned

• forum abuser
Honda jazz, you can fold the seats all flat and get a mondo perfectly laid out in the back. Used to go to font in it!!

Cheap to run. Absolutely gutless and OAP will all wave to you!!

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
Vauxhal Zafira, 2 extra seats in the boot if you want them and the back seats fold down flat. Once moved a full dining table and 4 chairs, two antique Chinese fish bowls, full 65L climbing bag, without much challenge to get them in. Can buy them quite cheap now.

tomtom

• forum hero
Check the model / year with zafira’s as there was a spate of them catching fire. Something in the fan/heater under the dash. Think there is a recall notice for them.

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
Check the model / year with zafira’s as there was a spate of them catching fire. Something in the fan/heater under the dash. Think there is a recall notice for them.

Fuzzy memory but when I had mine those that were under potential to have the issue were recalled for free check/refit.

tomtom

• forum hero

Fuzzy memory but when I had mine those that were under potential to have the issue were recalled for free check/refit.

Yup - but that doesn’t mean a car has been recalled 😱 - always worth checking.

Anyway -  no response from Shark so I’m assuming he’s got Tommy insured on his white Range Rover - and stuffed a decathlon tent in the back. 👍

Scouse D

• forum hero
You should look at nissan almera Tino. The rear seats are completely removable so its effectively a van. We had one briefly and it was mint. Reckon they are very cheap too.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
What sdm said ^^
Berlingo fits your bill perfectly but make sure to get a 2l diesel. Don't touch that 1.6 with a shitty stick. I got burnt by that very turbo failure with a Ford Focus (same PSA 1.6 engine). Since had a Berlingo 2l diesel and it was the most practical thing imaginable. Enough pull for the load but definitely not a driver's car, which is possibly exactly what you want for your kids.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Anyway -  no response from Shark so I’m assuming he’s got Tommy insured on his white Range Rover - and stuffed a decathlon tent in the back. 👍

Will go through the options with Tommy when I get back from Llandudno. His choice ultimately though expect he’ll go on our insurance.

Didn’t anticipate so many responses. Thanks all  :2thumbsup:

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
https://www.facebook.com/groups/501077099934569/permalink/5599667210075507/

This came up on Facebook marketplace. Seems like it might be what is required?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
https://www.facebook.com/groups/501077099934569/permalink/5599667210075507/

This came up on Facebook marketplace. Seems like it might be what is required?

Great spot. It’s the 1.6 petrol which others have warned about but local worth us going to have a look.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Think the 1.6 that people have warned about is the turbo diesel? I expect this normally aspirated petrol will be pretty reliable. The one downside is that the fuel economy will probably be considerably worse than the diesel.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal