UKBouldering.com

Stiffest down turned shoes (Read 9657 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#25 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 11, 2022, 05:47:27 pm
Regarding the preponderance of soft shoes, I read an ABC report today which stated that prepandemic in 2019 participation in climbing at 340k stood above cricket at 314k.
It also said (though not sure how they know) that 90% of participation is indoors.

For a manufacturer, the maths is clear I think.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#26 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 11, 2022, 06:41:12 pm
What is it that makes soft shoes better for indoor climbing?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#27 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 11, 2022, 06:50:46 pm

Modern indoor bouldering = walking on plywood boxes and standing on fibreglass dinghies. Stiff tight shoes are about the worst thing you can have on your feet. Quite a lot of problems are easier to do in five tennies than in Miuras.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#28 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 15, 2022, 11:37:03 am
I have a pair of Miura XXs which totally felt like cheating on steep edges when they were new. They're not completely worn out but the sole has unglued a bit so I've not worn them much recently. I had planned to buy some more via eBay but they've all gone now.

Love my Miura XX, but aren't they basically "the Miura VS but with laces"?

The Miura VS has the P3 whatsit that holds the sole downturn and is generally stiffer than the Miura lace-ups; they're significantly different shoes built on the same last. So if the XX works for you and you don't mind velcro, worth checking out the VS.

webbo

• forum hero
#29 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 15, 2022, 12:17:29 pm
I use the Miura VS and have about 6 pairs over time. They are stiff out of the box but gradually go soft. I also find due to using them on my board they develop a lump on the toe part of the sole, this eventually delaminates.
I keep planning to try another shoe but as can usually get a pair at reasonable price I haven’t bothered.

IanP

• forum abuser
#30 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 15, 2022, 01:52:24 pm
I have a pair of Miura XXs which totally felt like cheating on steep edges when they were new. They're not completely worn out but the sole has unglued a bit so I've not worn them much recently. I had planned to buy some more via eBay but they've all gone now.

Love my Miura XX, but aren't they basically "the Miura VS but with laces"?

The Miura VS has the P3 whatsit that holds the sole downturn and is generally stiffer than the Miura lace-ups; they're significantly different shoes built on the same last. So if the XX works for you and you don't mind velcro, worth checking out the VS.

Not exactly, in a weird La Sportiva way the last on the Miura VS is significantly different to the Miura, the below diagram (from La Sportiva website) shows the the Miura is one of there narrowest shows while the Miura VS is on the wider side  :-\

https://www.lasportiva.com/media/mageplaza/blog/post/2/z/2zi74.jpg

On your other points I generally agree, the XX is stiffer and retains its downturn much better than the standard Miura, though I think the initial downturn is maybe slightly less than that on the VS from my experience.  Interestingly at the wall the other day we were comparing my resoled XXs with a pair of resoled standard Miura and the shape in terms of retained downturn was night and day.

All slightly off topic since the XX is pretty much impossible to get now - fortunately I have 4 pairs in various conditions so reckon I should be OK for a few years since they resole so well

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#31 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 15, 2022, 03:40:44 pm

In a funny sort of way, indoor climbing isn't always a good test of footwork. Same for the circuit board - for me it's more useful stepping down a grade using the small sloper footholds, rather than the better blobs. Taxes the whole body more and makes it less about whether you can pull on the holds.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#32 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 15, 2022, 06:37:58 pm
Not exactly, in a weird La Sportiva way the last on the Miura VS is significantly different to the Miura, the below diagram (from La Sportiva website) shows the the Miura is one of there narrowest shows while the Miura VS is on the wider side  :-\

Aha, thank you for the clarification on the last! Mysterious are the ways of shoe companies.

Interestingly at the wall the other day we were comparing my resoled XXs with a pair of resoled standard Miura and the shape in terms of retained downturn was night and day.

Oh yeah, at the moment my XX are my indoor bouldering shoes, and I have standard Miuras in a half-size bigger as my comfy trad shoes. Very different beasts.

All slightly off topic since the XX is pretty much impossible to get now

I figured not too off-topic if Yossarian's looking for something similar -- worth knowing how they relate to the Miura VS.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#33 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 17, 2022, 10:43:50 am
That's for all the suggestions / thoughts here - just going through them after emerging from covid-hole...

I love the idea of the TN Pros, but if the heel shape is anything like the NewTro then I won't fit into them. The latter felt like exactly what I was after but the heel didn't work for me at all. It might be that I tried to go too small. I'm around 11.5 street and tried 10 and 10.5. I'm usually 44 in equivalent Scarpa / Sportiva.

andy_e

• forum hero
#34 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 17, 2022, 10:55:57 am
I had to size a bit above skate shoes for the NewTro lace. 8.5 in UpRise VCS/Anasazi LV, 9 in Dragons, Sirius, skate shoes, 9.5 in NewTro lace, approach shoes and B2s.

Are you talking about the NewTro velcro or lace? The NewTro VCS didn't work anywhere near as well for me as the NewTro lace.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#35 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 17, 2022, 11:05:14 am
The velcro. That's interesting. I might try again with something bigger and maybe the lace too.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#36 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 18, 2022, 09:49:05 am

Been following this thread with interest as I'm exactly the same, hoarded blancos all the way but am down to my last pair! A stiff downturned boot that fits like a 5:10 sounds like a bit of a dream boot! My mate has a pair and raves about em too....
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 12:23:04 pm by shark »

Wood FT

• forum hero
#37 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 18, 2022, 07:56:46 pm
I found the TN and the regulus very difficult to actually get on, without sizing down further than I would want to.

Did anyone else find this? I know of one other person…

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#38 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 18, 2022, 09:41:13 pm
I found the TN and the regulus very difficult to actually get on, without sizing down further than I would want to.

Did anyone else find this? I know of one other person…

Were you using a bit of plastic bag to start with? Any shoes with that sort of closure (Hiangles, teams, skwama, etc) I use a bit of plastic bag on the heel to slide them on, but  once they are actually on they are generally all good if they are the right size.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 11:01:14 am by shark »

Wood FT

• forum hero
#39 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 18, 2022, 10:20:18 pm
I’m on my 4th pair of recent build hiangles and I’ve got some Skwamas. These are next level hard to get on, I did the full plaggy bag / put them on in the bath and ended up just ripping the heel loop off. Not the only one either.

That said, very comfy and precise shoe once on…

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#40 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 18, 2022, 11:27:08 pm
Fair play they sound like another level of inconvenience!

daddy long legs

• player
#41 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 20, 2022, 03:09:11 pm
To the OP, you should give the Ozone QC from the brand Ocun a try. I used to love the Miura VS and also got on well with the Evolv Shaman, but find these even better, fit-wise. Obviously it's always down to foot shape/ personal preference, but they fit my feet (almost) perfectly. As well as being a great edging shoe, the heel also fits really well.

Also from Ocun and even stiffer is the Diamond, which is a lace-up. These were too hard and narrow for my feet, but fit the description of stiff and downturn. I'd imagine they'd be perfect on slightly overhanging edgy lime.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#42 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 20, 2022, 03:47:34 pm
To the OP, you should give the Ozone QC from the brand Ocun a try... As well as being a great edging shoe, the heel also fits really well.

Plus they can sit within the inner bar of a court.

andy_e

• forum hero
#43 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 20, 2022, 05:45:12 pm
I liked the look of their Kavanagh QCs but they didn't fit so well.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#44 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 20, 2022, 05:54:31 pm
I reckon the jury's still out on that one.

danm

• junky
#45 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
February 20, 2022, 06:23:38 pm
I’m on my 4th pair of recent build hiangles and I’ve got some Skwamas. These are next level hard to get on, I did the full plaggy bag / put them on in the bath and ended up just ripping the heel loop off. Not the only one either.

That said, very comfy and precise shoe once on…
I totally did not get on with my Skwamas, I found them really imprecise and hard to use on small holds, which was a surprise because I used to really get on with older models from La Sportiva, especially Miura and Katana for trad shoes. I think I prefer the flatter sole profile (in cross section) that you tend to get with Instincts.

sinbad

#46 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
March 03, 2022, 10:43:41 pm
I've had both the UP TN Pro and Regulus and found the Regulus to be the stiffest. I've also had the Instinct Lace in the past which I'd say has a slightly stiffer toe but less supportive midsole. The Regulus has the Blanco style 'cheater' heel which I disliked until I got used to it...

Both the Regulus and TN Pro's are an absolute b@st*rd to get on, I partially ripped the pull tabs off the Regulus but sewed them up before they came right off. I also tried cutting the the elasticated material on the top of the shoe to open up the entry, didn't seem to make much difference. But as already said they were surprisingly comfortable once on. They hardly stretched at all over a very long life so getting them on and off never got much easier. I'd really like to replace the Regulus (personally I prefer them over the TN Pro) but I can't go through the hassle of fighting to get them again on so want to try 0.5 size larger. But then I'm worried they won't perform as well.  :o

sinbad

#47 Re: Stiffest down turned shoes
March 03, 2022, 10:56:29 pm

Modern indoor bouldering = walking on plywood boxes and standing on fibreglass dinghies. Stiff tight shoes are about the worst thing you can have on your feet. Quite a lot of problems are easier to do in five tennies than in Miuras.

I used to believe this but have recently moved to stiff shoes indoors and found that on the majority of problems stiffer shoes out perform my softies. Obviously there are exceptions, some slopers (but not all...), very steep stuff and co-ordination dynos (but I'm pants at those anyway). I've encountered a few problems that I couldn't complete in my old, very soft Dragons, that I sent almost instantly in my Instinct Lace.

So now I almost exclusively boulder in stiff shoes and have a pair of softies tucked away in my bag for the occasional problem where I'm getting frustrated and think they may help. If someone had suggested this to me about 2 years ago I'd have thought they were raving mad...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal