UKBouldering.com

Indoor-Outdoor Lockdown Grade Inflation. (Read 28154 times)

dunnyg

• forum hero
Samesies. I've got a copy, we can start the bidding at 1k and a clean spoon.

Update sounds great though! I've been neglecting the calf this year.

Potash

• menacing presence
Someone needs to market an augmented reality app for your phone. Prop your phone in your shoe in the correct location and it shines lights on the specified holds of whatever pointless eliminate your after.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
When it comes to eliminates venues like the Calf or Pisa Wall I don't see any harm in letting people go crazy. So long as each one is unique then it's just more stuff to play on.
Yes, this. The Gorrilla Warfare face is actually quite suitable for it (Trackside isn't imo), although like you say, the described variants need to be clear, logical, and unique.
There is no argument of wasted space when it comes to online logging, but there is an issue of clarity and the maintenance of a record which will eventually get used as the basis of a print guide. On those grounds I think some means of segregating primary lines from secondary variants/links would be really useful.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Not disagreeing (though I'd be a bit harsher when it comes to logging any old variation because some are just stupid).

andy moles

• forum abuser
Come on, UKC logbooks are perfect for documenting daft link ups, eliminates and stuff.
Keep them out of the guidebooks and fuck giving them their own name but having them on the database is cool.

This is pretty much the conclusion I've reached. If people would restrain their urge to give a new name to something which is just a slight variation on something else, it would be a lot less confusing. And git tae fuck with 'claiming' them as well.

Bonjoy's idea of stacking problems sounds good, albeit potentially still confusing unless the moderator does a really good job (because an eliminate might belong equally to more than one 'parent' problem, etc).

Still holding the record for the daftest one I've seen is actually an old one from Dumby, which involved climbing a problem, reversing to the start, then going up again wronghanded (the parent problem being Slap Happy, which although classic is already slightly eliminate, and the wronghanded version Hap Slappy being a good example of a daft eliminate which is actually a lot of fun...)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 05:51:25 am by andy moles »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal