Hamstring rehab
May 30, 2021, 10:15:42 pm
UKCUKC
 My Forums
 My Topics
Forums
Hamstring rehab
Your message was successfully posted:
Note that it may take up to 30 seconds for your new message to appear on the main forum pages
You can be notified when someone replies to your threads by checking the My Topics page

User Profile Ged Desforges
22:14 Sun
Anyone got any good knowledge for rehabbing a tweaky hamstring? What are the magic bullet type exercises like the eccentric calf for achilles, and the hammer drill for golfers elbow? Keep thinking it's better and it keeps flaring up every time I go back running.

Thanks in advance

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Hamstring rehab
May 31, 2021, 10:13:29 am
I had a partial tear last year, rehab was around six weeks and exercises were mostly based around bridges, progressively moving the foot further away and culminating in having the foot on an unstable surface (foam roller).
Even after rehab, it felt a bit weak for a while and sitting for a while was a bit sore and crunchy around the top of the femur.
All good now though.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#2 Re: Hamstring rehab
May 31, 2021, 10:51:28 am
I cracked my back stumbling into boulder start of April. A few days later my hip popped on a high step and ripped into a hamstring tear, cramp. Not been able to run properly since. I’ve started on sports massage and physio.

Theory seems to be my back spasmed and had been tight for weeks, working on that. They reckon my core has switched off as the back has been doing all the heavy lifting. Kinda figures as I couldn’t do the easiest stuff on the board, climbing vertical and gentle lean is ok. Core stuff, stretching, one leg standing. Tried a 20 min run a few days ago, slow as anything but promising. Tbh though check in with a pro, took me a while to bite the bullet but feel I’m heading in the right direction now 👍

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3 Re: Hamstring rehab
May 31, 2021, 11:03:16 am
Have you tried asking on the other channel?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Hamstring rehab
May 31, 2021, 03:10:44 pm
Rule of thumb is that it needs loading, but of the right type in the right way. Anything more than mild increase in discomfort at 1hr and 24hrs later indicates you need to reduce the load you are applying. The hamstring is a complex of tissues spanning several joints so I’d suggest to get this right you’ll need either a) luck or b) a decent physio. I’d go with the physio tbh Hope it feels better soon.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 03:28:02 pm by mrjonathanr »

T_B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Hamstring rehab
May 31, 2021, 07:52:04 pm
Are you overstriding? I had tight hammys my first couple of years of running - not pleasant climbing on steep boards as well as running. Consciously shortened my stride/worked on increasing cadence and no longer have issues. I’ve torn my hamstring bouldering and basically mended what I thought was tendinopathy. Was straight back on it walking up steep hills and running and can now sit in a car in traffic for hours on end with little discomfort.

Maybe check out Jason Fitzgerald (Strength Running) on YouTube

Stevie

• regular
#6 Re: Hamstring rehab
May 31, 2021, 09:48:44 pm
Some pretty good info in this post over on instagram ... https://www.instagram.com/p/CPYpBkGDG4F/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#7 Re: Hamstring rehab
July 24, 2022, 03:12:45 pm
Whacha Guys,

So, been stuck in a Middle Eastern Sand Pit for some months (with intermittent internet access). Anyway, my deployment hit an abrupt end yesterday and I woke up this morning back in the UK. Nine days ago, I had a fall, that essentially ended up with me in a forward splits/exaggerated “Can-Can”, high kick position, sort of thing. Not climbing, except that I had climbed up a large piece of equipment, without appropriate safety equipment, in a 57⁰C engine room.
The result was tearing my Hamstring in 3 places and extensive bruising, mind bending cramps and a flight home yesterday.

Now I’m back, I don’t have access to a Doc, until I attempt to call my GP tomorrow, but it’s all got a bit weird. Not a rush off to A&E weird, just a “Whaaa..?’ Type thing.

So, on Friday evening, at T+8 days, I looked like this:

Bruise ran from groin to halfway down my calf and the pain was concentrated at groin, just above the back of knee and top of calf.

At 6pm Friday they pumped me full of Wolfarin, for an 0200 flight on Saturday morning. Now, I was wearing shorts on the flight and it was obvious, during the flight, the bruising just faded away to almost nothing, the cramps in the back of my thigh eased away and everything moved down my leg until the pain and cramps are now in my calf/Achilles heel, or, much lower than the injury was. Today, Sunday, that’s almost exclusively where the pain/problems reside.

Does this not seem odd?

On a side note.
Arriving at Paddington station, injured and unable to lift much, with 60kg of kit in 3 Bergans (ie, no wheeled luggage) and realising the fucking luggage trolleys needed a £1 coin to release and having nothing but Bahraini Dinar and Euros in my frigging wallet, all notes, awake for 36hrs already, on the busiest day of the year, ranks as one of the lowest days of my life in the last decade.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Hamstring rehab
July 24, 2022, 03:52:23 pm
Ouch...
Not a clue about rehab but quick healing and welcome back OMM!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#9 Re: Hamstring rehab
July 24, 2022, 05:20:04 pm
Yikes! Hope that gets seen to pronto. 🤞

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#10 Re: Hamstring rehab
July 24, 2022, 07:07:06 pm
Ouch... isn't that "just" a massive internal bleeding where the blood migrated down the leg when you were forced to keep the foot below the heart? Which hurts really bad, but it basically OK? (I am obviously not a medical doctor, and is likely writing nonsense.)

Bon courage !

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Hamstring rehab
July 24, 2022, 07:38:40 pm
Welcome back Matt.

Those pictures certainly look like someone who has had a severe hamstring tear a few days previously. With the precision of your diagnosis can we assume you've had some kind of imaging and other possible conditions have been ruled out?

Migration of bruising - clotted blood as jwi says - due to gravity is common. I've seen people with hamstring tears whose calf and ankle have turned purple just as you describe. This took several weeks. Speculating, perhaps the Warfarin sped up this process?

I'd suggest a GP visit fairly quickly.

Carliios

#12 Re: Hamstring rehab
July 24, 2022, 08:15:58 pm
I tore my hamstring a few years back and it looked a bit like that just not as extensive (not down my calf or anything). Definitely get it looked at and just rest it for now until you start getting better mobility back into it, hit up a physio at that point and I’m sure they’ll be able to guide you with strengthening and mobility exercises. Hoping for you it’s not too badly damaged mate! Speedy recovery.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal