UKBouldering.com

Wild camping N Wales. (Read 1505 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Wild camping N Wales.
May 29, 2021, 05:44:17 pm
Is this possible anymore? Years ago, we used to bivi in the pass under Cemetery Gates, but apart from a quick run up the PYG track a couple of years ago, I’ve lost touch with the area.
Looking to run the kids around the horseshoe, really, but it’s a 5 hour drive...

Ross Barker

• menacing presence
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
#1 Re: Wild camping N Wales.
May 29, 2021, 06:14:02 pm
If you're talking in a van/car on a quiet road, it's definitely still possible but you'd do well to find a spot without anyone else.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#2 Re: Wild camping N Wales.
May 29, 2021, 11:49:19 pm
I've bivvied many times in 2012 - 2018 on the Cormlech boulder and over the wall from cromlech with no hassle or crowds - lovely sunsets and stars. No recent beta I'm afraid

mark20

• junky
#3 Re: Wild camping N Wales.
May 30, 2021, 08:13:24 am
Like Coops, I've camped around by the Cromlech boulders, arriving late and leaving early, but I get the impression that in the last year or so the laybys have become so popular in most mountain areas that I wouldn't bother now. I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble but I think it'd just be much more pleasant walking up and out of the way a bit more, like Cwm Glas. Or take bivy gear along the horseshoe and drop down into Cwm Glas or another similar spot for a bivy en route.

There is  a cheap and basic campsite just down the road in Nant Peris for £5 a night, but you can't book.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Wild camping N Wales.
May 30, 2021, 08:30:33 am
I believe the Vaynol site has closed but the Nant Peris site nearby is open currently. Worth checking.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#5 Re: Wild camping N Wales.
May 30, 2021, 11:31:21 am
Is this possible anymore? Years ago, we used to bivi in the pass under Cemetery Gates, but apart from a quick run up the PYG track a couple of years ago, I’ve lost touch with the area.
Looking to run the kids around the horseshoe, really, but it’s a 5 hour drive...

I have done this quite a few times, although not for a couple of years. Don't go anywhere near the Pass itself, it'll be rammed, and you might well get a ticket. I have camped in a disused quarry area above Llanberis before, I can give you beta if you're interested. It was totally quiet and I couldn't see how you could annoy anyone where we were.

Motown

• regular
#6 Re: Wild camping N Wales.
May 30, 2021, 05:27:37 pm
Hi Toby. Heading there this weekend - could you let me know where this quarry is? Thanks in advance

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal