UKBouldering.com

Things you are not good at but enjoy doing anyway. (Read 4681 times)

Wellsy

• forum hero
Weight training! I only just got into it, like literally within the last month, but I'm really enjoying the bench and squats, and I'm going to do some deadlifting too. I'm not particularly strong in those areas (I can bench a max of about 75kgs, so my bodyweight, but not more) but I do enjoy it and I'd like to do more :)

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
Drumming! Have played guitar and in bands since I was 10, but only picked up the sticks a couple of years ago when my colleague (guitarist) wanted to jam. Flippin' love it, have enough musicality and coordination to work out and play simple beats. More recently I started adding vocals and he's added bass (via an octave pedal and bass amp) and together we've spent countless hours trying to play songs by the likes of Royal Blood and The Blue Stones.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
1) Climbing
2) road cycling
3) running
4) windsurfing

I could probably go on....

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
I've really found myself getting into chess recently. I enjoy the depth of the game. I tend to go deep into things when I get into them and chess has endless content to consume and learn.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
Yoga, although I don’t think the point is to be good and I’m kinda glad to have something I do where I don’t worry about performance. Meditation, although the same but much more so.

Running, which I restarted in lockdown.  It is nice to see some improvement there, only compare myself to myself, just didn’t want to be so aerobically unfit anymore.  Sea swimming, which I definitely only do for fun when it’s warm.

Chess, which I playing a fair amount of, particularly correspondence on chess.com. Maybe one day I’ll have some time to improve at this! If anyone wants a game....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
My interest in chess has been revitalised after my son has taken an interest, it's now the Sunday morning after breakfast ritual. I said at the start I would never let him win, he would need to beat me fairly.

I think it took about 15 games before he got the better of me, now it's about 50/50, the devious little bastard.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
Spearfishing, i am proper pants at it but love it nonetheless.
Ever since i was a boy growing up next to the sea in the East Neuk of Fife, i spent every summer and some winter days flinging myself of the pier, messing about in rock pools and swimming through and under waves.
The feeling of just floating at the mercy of the oceans immense power is for me, Deeply relaxing.

colin8ll

• regular
Piano. I've only been playing for around a year and the progress I have made has been very hard won but I've had some really magical moments when I'm on the cusp of learning a tune and my fingers remember what to do by themselves and I can have a sort of out of body experience observing myself play.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Spearfishing, i am proper pants at it but love it nonetheless.
Ever since i was a boy growing up next to the sea in the East Neuk of Fife, i spent every summer and some winter days flinging myself of the pier, messing about in rock pools and swimming through and under waves.
The feeling of just floating at the mercy of the oceans immense power is for me, Deeply relaxing.

Amen.

Though I prefer catching Lobster. My first, I saw in about 5mtrs of water, on a crystal clear day, just into the open water as I snorkelled out of Port Quin. No gloves, but I’d handled them on the boats, so not too much pain. I let it go. I was, maybe, 13. Used to cycle out there from St Tudy when it was too flat to surf. Or blag a ride with one of the fishermen that lived in the village, throwing my bike in the trailer with the pots and then cycling home, racing the sunset and a bollocking for being out after dark...

Edit:

Actually, if you enjoy that feeling, it’s well worth trying out deep mixed gas diving. It is the diving equivalent of Freefall parachuting (and, like that, not cheap or easy). Perhaps the most incredible experience possible, is drift diving between islands, preferably somewhere tropical.
The Philippines was a favourite when I lived in Dubai. Dropping down, in blue water, to 100mtrs or so depth, allowing the racing currents to bowl you along a few meters above the bottom, like a balloon on a stiff breeze; then the slow crawl up, to your first deco stop 60/65 mtrs or so, to begin a couple of hours drifting in the blue. Often punctuated by a shoal of Blue or Yellow fin Tuna, or Eagle Ray flying past. If you are lucky, Whale Shark or Dolphin or an over amorous Remora. Put your SMB up at 21mtrs and hope the boat can find you, since you are probably several km from where you started and a few islands away...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 10:03:18 am by Oldmanmatt »

galpinos

• forum hero
Surfing.

The pinnacle of my achievements is standing up. I am still baffled why spending hours in the water, in the cold, in a wetsuit, fighting to get out (it takes me an age), getting dumped on by waves etc only to get "out the back", to miss everything, s**t myself because the wave has a one foot high "face", then finally catch one and fall off instantly is so much fun.

andy popp

• forum hero
Climbing, for some of us, for sure.
:guilty: I mean I’m not terrible  but I’m far from a natural despite having the ideal build.

Any ability at climbing I developed was entirely because of the enjoyment - rather than enjoying it because it was something I was good at, the enjoyment came first. I was a clumsy, poorly coordinated child and physiologically I've never seemed to respond well to training. I was also never that kid doing the dares and taking risks. And at 14, when I discovered climbing, I was even a bit tubby. There was very little to suggest climbing would be a good sport for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal