UKBouldering.com

Topic split: Issues re Jorg Verhoeven solo of Total Brutal (Read 6061 times)

webbo

• forum hero
Jorg Verhoeven has soloed Total Brutal 8b+

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPGmTwDh3B8/?utm_medium=copy_link

He might say highball in that post, but it just isn't. It's a solo, and a pretty mind-boggling one given the traffic running underneath from about half height.

The comment by his father puts a somewhat disturbing slant on it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 05:32:26 pm by shark, Reason: Quote inserted so thread split makes sense »

RobK

• stalker
I must say, this doesn't really sit right with me. When you solo/highball you take on the risk to yourself, fair enough. But if he'd dropped that with oncoming traffic he immediately puts others at risk. Hope he's alright given the nature of the caption.

T_B

• forum hero
The thing is he’s not going to fall off, so the cars are irrelevant. Or at least that’s what’s likely in his mind to solo it in the first place.

andy popp

• forum hero
The thing is he’s not going to fall off, so the cars are irrelevant. Or at least that’s what’s likely in his mind to solo it in the first place.

You would very much hope that was in his mind, as it should be in the mind of anyone else starting a solo. Judging from his comment, however, you have to wonder on this occasion.

It does make me uncomfortable too, but I wonder how different it is from soloing at a busy crag where a fall has the potential to traumatise - and injure - others?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

This totally, it’s amazing how many people are just commenting ‘sick send bro’ or whatever, when this looks very much like a public cry for help.

webbo

• forum hero
The comment from his father which now seems to have been removed  talked of the ascent being a  controlled suicide attempt.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
That was very disturbing. As I understand the crag is banned for safety issues? At least on a crag, any normal climber pay some form of attention on what is happening above, on the road no driver can be expected to be prepared for large mammals falling down on the windshield.

I will for now assume that all the encouraging messages on insta writing how awesome the ascent was were posted by bots.

Quote from: ramonverhoevensnl.lv
As Jorgs father I say to all 'friends' who express admiration in any way, please realize this looks to me more to a controlled suicide attempt. This is not the way sports climbing should be. I hope everybody realizes, Jorg needs support and listening ears, not admiration.This kinds of escapades is NOT a solution to the problems he is having right now. Please be there in real time for him. Sadly as a parent I am to far away and have no ways to be there to support him.

T_B

• forum hero
Is his Dad a climber?

I suppose if you did fall on a car there’s a good chance they’re going to crash and be seriously hurt/killed.

Anyway I hope this very public cry for help gets him the support he needs.

Bradders

• forum hero

That maybe what was going through his mind, but there's a big difference between thinking you're not going to fall and what might actually happen in practice, especially on such difficult climbing.

I thought it especially bizarre that he must have had someone else there filming it, based on the camera movement? In which case there was someone there helping / enabling it, which is particularly irresponsible if so.

Anyway, very glad he didn't fall off. Here's hoping he gets some help before he does something rash again.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

I thought it especially bizarre that he must have had someone else there filming it, based on the camera movement? In which case there was someone there helping / enabling it, which is particularly irresponsible if so.

I don't think so, it is easy to film in high resolution and then pan in post.

Kingy

• forum hero
I hope Jorg is OK. Looks like he is on his own to me and panned the tripod footage on a package after the event.

Bradders

• forum hero

I don't think so, it is easy to film in high resolution and then pan in post.

Ah yes I think you're right, for some reason it didn't look like a post added panning shot on first viewing.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
It is shot from two angles though but they could both be set up on tripods of course. The pans are definitely a cropped section being moved within a bigger static frame.

andy popp

• forum hero
I suppose if you did fall on a car there’s a good chance they’re going to crash and be seriously hurt/killed.

Yes. I know someone widowed when their spouse hit a deer that then came through the windscreen.

For me, soloing was always a total joyful thing, but for others it does seem to be driven by demons. It's very unsettling and disturbing to see this played out so publicly.

remus

• forum hero
I agree it's somewhat unsettling to see it playing it out a public setting, but then Im not sure that's strictly worse than keeping it bottled up (being coy with friends and family about what you're doing etc.)

On the solo itself, It didn't look excessively risky to me. The rock looked good, he had it pretty dialed and it's well within his ability. It looks like a pretty amazing line, and very committing to boot. I can understand why soloing something like that would appeal.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

This totally, it’s amazing how many people are just commenting ‘sick send bro’ or whatever, when this looks very much like a public cry for help.

Exactly this. What an absolute fucking hole Instagram is. Were people and climbers always this vapid?

dunnyg

• forum hero

Teaboy

• forum hero

HaeMeS

• menacing presence
Don’t know the details but apparently he's in good hands now.

ducko

• forum abuser
Jorg Verhoeven has soloed Total Brutal 8b+

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPGmTwDh3B8/?utm_medium=copy_link

He might say highball in that post, but it just isn't. It's a solo, and a pretty mind-boggling one given the traffic running underneath from about half height.

Selfish, irresponsible helmet.
Hope the dude gets helps but putting others in potential risk isn’t on.

Bradders

• forum hero

Wellsy

• forum hero
Seems clear that he's mentally in a bad place and needs support

I think everyone can agree that his solo was very irresponsible and that a lot of people on Instagram that post on climbing vids did not really think about that or are bots.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Awww you didn't use my suggested title....

I think the general topic could be a very interesting one. I'm sure there are quite a few people who have engaged in risky / challenging / obsessive climbing for unhealthy and possibly self-destructive reasons. I know I did in my youth, not very seriously nor dangerously but definitely pushing myself out of desperation and being guided by the stick not the carrot....

webbo

• forum hero
Didn’t the guy who did the first free ascent of Genesis in Elderado canyon write an article about a solo ascent of the Naked Edge after he split with his girlfriend and he’s ambivalent about the consequences.

Bradders

• forum hero
Pretty sure Honnold said similar in his autobiography, along the lines of there were a few times where he did it because he simply didn't care what happened either way.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal