UKBouldering.com

Online Event: [Better Late than Never] - The Art of Integration - Mayday (Read 1642 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Hi folks, blatant plug for an event my other half has spent the last few months organising. All about refugee integration through languages and the arts.

I know being spring, with lockdown easing the last thing inspiring people is more online events - but there's some really fun and interesting things going on, very non-standard semi-academic inclusive and diverse topics and styles. All free, but it would be very nice to see some new faces.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/unesco-rila-spring-school-the-arts-of-integrating-mayday-registration-144005587589

Hope it's ok to plug this - it's a good cause.

andy popp

• forum hero
Hey Fultonius, thanks for sharing this. I follow both Alison Phipps and Hyab Yohannes on Twitter and joined an event they organized focused on Eritrea a few months ago.

I will look into signing up and which events I might be able to make it to. As someone with a lot of Eritrean friends, the session entitled "'You and me, we're the same. You struggle with Tigrinya and I struggle with English'. Language ecologies and linguistic repertoires" more than strikes a chord.

battery

• obsessive maniac
Really interesting, thanks. There's a couple of things I plan on signing up to there .

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Hey Fultonius, thanks for sharing this. I follow both Alison Phipps and Hyab Yohannes on Twitter and joined an event they organized focused on Eritrea a few months ago.

I will look into signing up and which events I might be able to make it to. As someone with a lot of Eritrean friends, the session entitled "'You and me, we're the same. You struggle with Tigrinya and I struggle with English'. Language ecologies and linguistic repertoires" more than strikes a chord.

:'(  That one was yesterday - wish I'd posted this sooner!  Most are recorded, but unfortunately that one couldn't be. There are slides and I can put you in touch with the presenter if it's of interest. Hyab is a very interesting guy - what a journey he's been on.

@Battery - pleased to hear it. It's been a bit of a difficult year for the event - two years ago it was all in person and really well attended and received, but it's just come at a bit of a tricky time this year with lockdowns easing and the weather getting (a bit) nicer, people are (understandably) les excited by more online events.

The events are generally small and inclusive - you can just listen but they're designed to be a bit more interactive and certainly won't be dry academic lectures!!!

andy popp

• forum hero

:'(  That one was yesterday - wish I'd posted this sooner!  Most are recorded, but unfortunately that one couldn't be. There are slides and I can put you in touch with the presenter if it's of interest. Hyab is a very interesting guy - what a journey he's been on.

Thanks. I would certainly be interested in seeing the slides, at the very least. Having heard the stories of a number of Eritrean refugees, I can well imagine Hyab's journey.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Andy - did you see any tweets from Alison recently?  I'm pretty sure she and @UofGUnescoRILA have been shadow banned on Twitter! 

I'm not that regularly on twitter, but i hadn't seen any posts from the University of Glasgow or Alison Phipps recently despite them doing quite a big twitter campaign for the event.

Checked using this:  https://www.wikihow.com/Check-if-You-Are-Shadowbanned-on-Twitter#:~:text=Check%20the%20search%20results%20page,your%20Tweets%2C%20you%20are%20safe.
 and nothing came up... (i.e. it looks as if they are being censored)

Just checked and I had misunderstood about the 
You and me, we're the same. You struggle with Tigrinya and I struggle with English'. Language ecologies and linguistic repertoire
event - the presentation was pre-recorded and it was only the Q&A that was live, both are recorded and available. Hyab's a very active member of the team so there will no doubt be more events in the future.

andy popp

• forum hero
Andy - did you see any tweets from Alison recently? 

To be honest, I'm not sure. Now you mention it I feel like I may have been seeing fewer Tweets from Alison, but going to her profile I can see she's certainly been plenty today.

Thanks for following up on that presentation.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal