UKBouldering.com

Wild Country Mosquito Harness (Read 7758 times)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#25 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 10:50:49 am
I have had to replace a barely used harness after 1 route before; although I didn't begrudge it much as it was a 20 pitch off width in Yosemite.  I've had a lightweight Petzl before,  which I loved but it did not last long just sport climbing as others have said.

My first thought when I look at a lightweight harness is always “that’ll last about five minutes in a chimney”  :guilty: :lol:

My personal gripe is adjustable fucking leg loops. I believe this is something only used for winter climbing as I’ve literally never known a rock climber to adjust their leg loop, yet finding a harness with elasticated ones and a trad-friendly allowance of gear loops is near impossible. My current harness is a Wild Country one that fulfills these unicorn-like characteristics but in the current WC range there’s no equivalent.

Duma

• forum hero
#26 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 11:07:22 am
the blurb that came with the mosquito said 5yrs from first use or 10yrs from first storage

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 11:13:22 am
finding a harness with elasticated ones and a trad-friendly allowance of gear loops is near impossible.

My BD Momentum harness is OK in both these respects, depends on your rack. Must be honest though, my buying criteria were  - it's half price on Rock & Run

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#28 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 11:42:01 am
I think it must have been half price ‘cos it’s an older version Chris- the current one looks like it’s got Satan’s combination of leg buckles and no rear gear loop.

Paul B

• forum hero
#29 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 11:43:12 am
I think it must have been half price ‘cos it’s an older version Chris- the current one looks like it’s got Satan’s combination of leg buckles and no rear gear loop.

My main gripe is XS harnesses dropping gear loops (or using significantly smaller loops), because little people like to plug less gear in etc.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#30 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 11:50:40 am
You see that little hook at the back of the harness that attaches the leg loop elastic to the waist belt? THAT'S Satan's own doing. I've had that unhook on me twice mid-pitch over the years and it's rank. Each time has been on a long pitch when I'm carrying lots of gear. Most recently I had to blindly reattach it while halfway up a pitch on Main Cliff - very unpleasant.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#31 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 12:04:06 pm

I have had to replace a barely used harness after 1 route before; although I didn't begrudge it much as it was a 20 pitch off width in Yosemite.

;D  I think I can guess...

How does the Mosquito work for the fuller-thighed gentleman? Petzl don't fit me. Mammut used to but the latest taste-the-difference model ('The Sender') is clearly aimed at the toothpick-legged. Arcteryx are good, at a price. Women's versions are often good and usually better colours.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#32 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 12:26:07 pm

It has an adjustable buckle combined with elastic loop, works quite well.

Right enough no rear gear "bar" but there is a fairly large loop at the back for nut key / belay plate. And no satanic hook at the back

Still on sale https://rockrun.com/collections/mens-harnesses/products/black-diamond-momentum-harness-astral-blue-2019

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#33 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 01:38:57 pm
What's the beef with adjustable leg loops, by the way? I don't have them on my harness, but previous harnesses have had them and it doesn't cause a problem. As Duncan indicates, anyone who does any running/cycling probably needs bigger loops?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#34 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 01:53:33 pm
I think cheque is saying he prefers non-buckled elasticated instead of buckled non-elasticated. 

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#35 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 02:23:25 pm
Yeah I just don’t want extra bits on the harness that I don’t need. It seems that the vast majority of climbers don’t need them either so it’s weird to me that buckles etc. are standard on everything but quite sport-specific harnesses.

Beta Outdoor Sports

• Beta Outdoor Sports
#36 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 05:12:27 pm
For anyone wondering about the durability of the Mosquito here's Pete thrutching away in Norway, He doesn't pop out naked so first durability test is a bonus.

And if anyone has every wanted to see Matt Groom in his pants, well, here you go!  :o :o

Duma

• forum hero
#37 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 07:10:43 pm
Quote from: duncan
How does the Mosquito work for the fuller-thighed gentleman? Petzl don't fit me. Mammut used to but the latest taste-the-difference model ('The Sender') is clearly aimed at the toothpick-legged. Arcteryx are good, at a price. Women's versions are often good and usually better colours.
Leg loops seem fine to me, I'm certainly no toothpick leg, but wouldn't describe myself as fuller thighed either! I've had no issues with petzl fit in the past though.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#38 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 08:23:14 pm
I have the opposite question, how are the leg loops for someone who think Petzl's harnesses are unnecessarily forgiving to people who use their legs for something?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#39 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 29, 2021, 08:05:23 am
I’m with Cheque on this. Replaced my BD Chaos with a Petzl Adjama which is excellent except for the buckles and the gear loops could be a bit longer.

Don’t care for loops mid back though; last thing I want is a load of metal to land my spine on if I deck out.

A mate replaced his with the updated version and doesn’t like it so much.

RobK

• stalker
#40 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
September 09, 2021, 01:59:12 pm
Finally got around to replacing my Petzl Sitta with one of these. Fit is similar (medium in both) but safe to say there is a reason it's half the price. I really wanted to like it but it's nowhere near as comfy, feels more bulky, cheaper materials and the gear loops seem oddly positioned. Mine will be going back and I'll just have shut my eyes so I don't see the price of the Sitta when ordering.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal