UKBouldering.com

Wild Country Mosquito Harness (Read 7756 times)

Beta Outdoor Sports

• Beta Outdoor Sports
Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 21, 2021, 01:09:47 pm
With the weather (very) slowly changing, we thought it would be a good time to talk about the new Sport harness from Wild Country!

This year Wild Country have released the new Mosquito Harness

A new design from the team in Bolzano, this harness is aimed at sport climbers looking for a lightweight, but comfortable harness.

Featuring a laminated mesh construction and load spreading technology throughout the waistband, the Mosquito will keep you comfortable when climbing and when falling off!

4 gearloops give you plenty of options with the large front loops being rigid and the back 2 being softer to save weight. AT 220gs (XS model) The Mosquito does sit at the top end of the current Sport specific harness offerings.

Available at most UK stores, to learn more please follow the link

https://www.wildcountry.com/en-gb/mosquito-harness-40-0000008005?number=40-0000008005_0000000004

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 21, 2021, 02:33:08 pm
Didn't know we had a new sponsor....

Duma

• forum hero
#2 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 21, 2021, 02:39:37 pm
Beta are the WC importer I believe?

On topic has anyone tried the Mosquito? Not enamoured with my current harness and it does look decent. would want to try on though, esp as I'm on the edge of small/medium.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 21, 2021, 02:41:05 pm
Beta are the WC importer I believe?

OK.

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 21, 2021, 02:49:59 pm
has anyone tried the Mosquito? Not enamoured with my current harness and it does look decent. would want to try on though, esp as I'm on the edge of small/medium.

No, but I had one of the original lightweight Wild Country harnesses and was really impressed by it; it took a beating and lasted for ages. I think that was at or around the time Arc' Teryx were introducing their fancy technology and I found the WC offering much better as AT had seemingly forgotten to bother putting the tech in the leg loops (which might as well have been cheese wire).

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/harnesses/wild_country_elite_ultralite_harness-1069

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#5 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 11:13:34 am

On topic has anyone tried the Mosquito? Not enamoured with my current harness and it does look decent. would want to try on though, esp as I'm on the edge of small/medium.

I got one a few weeks back... Really impressed tbh. Super lightweight and really comfy when hanging about on a bolt. Was interested in the Petzl Sita as a mate has one and rates it but this felt comfier to me and about half the price! I'm in the medium/large crossover point and ended up going for the large so I can get it over a good few layers (useful this season!). The one minor issue there is that, as it's not got much in the way of adjustability (single buckle and no floating waist as per DMM), you could end up with skewed gear loops if you get the size out so it's definitely one where you want to get the size spot on... One more minor niggle is that it's so bloody light and comfy that I sometimes forget I'm wearing it and find myself double-checking half way up a route  :lol:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#6 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 11:43:10 am
Outside stock it and selling for £75

https://www.outside.co.uk/wild-country-mosquito-harness.html

Looks fly..

Duma

• forum hero
#7 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 11:57:31 am
Cheers Duncan, what's your waist measurement if you don't mind me asking? I'm 79 cm and WC quote small as up to 79 cm, and M as starting at 79.5 cm, so no overlap which seems weird?

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#8 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 12:16:04 pm
Don't mind you asking at all - I'm generally a 32" for most stuff but when I measured before getting this I clocked in at a whopping 33" and a bit (train heavy climb light  :-\) so say 85cm which doesn't add up according to WC's table either as while the medium fitted it was well wonky on the gear loops whereas the large is spot on...

Duma

• forum hero
#9 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 12:52:12 pm
Thanks - it's weird as it doesn't line up with the sizing given for the WC Session harness either. I've gone for the medium, will report back...

RobK

• stalker
#10 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 12:58:57 pm
Thanks - it's weird as it doesn't line up with the sizing given for the WC Session harness either. I've gone for the medium, will report back...

Please do Duma, I'm half considering one to replace my Sitta. I might do a like for like swap, but the price of the Mosquito is certainly appealing. On a vaguely related note, how often do people find that they replace harnesses?

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#11 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 03:32:24 pm
On a vaguely related note, how often do people find that they replace harnesses?

Now that's a can of worms I'm sure  :worms:...

This was my first new one since probably 2005?!?!?!? Tbh I only went for a new one because I read somewhere that you should probably change them every 10 years and that thought was making me twitchy when sport climbing.

Looking at it (old Petzl corax) it seems absolutely fine...

The new one is way comfier tho...

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 03:34:18 pm
On a vaguely related note, how often do people find that they replace harnesses?

The WC harness I mentioned above had wear indicators. I binned it when these started showing.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#13 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 04:09:19 pm

About once every five years in my case.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#14 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 08:00:15 pm

As I am an idiot I keep buying Petzl harnesses (for which I am getting mercilessly mocked by those who both climbs a lot and are careful with money), as such I replace my harness every 10 month or so when the tie in point is completely obliterated...

I do climb a lot and I spend quite a lot of time hanging on the rope or on belays, and even more time belaying my project obsessed partner.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#15 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 08:54:41 pm
I’ve just had that experience with Petzl harnesses. They seem to wear so quickly. I know I’m a dogging punter but still?

Just bought a BD so hoping for better returns...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#16 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 24, 2021, 10:13:08 pm
It’s not just longevity (important though it is), and the position you sit in in a fall matters a lot. Some great harnesses won’t work for everyone.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#17 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 25, 2021, 08:40:14 am

I just replaced mine, as it was about 13 years old. TBF it's not been used much the last 7 or so years.

Duma

• forum hero
#18 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 27, 2021, 03:36:15 pm

Please do Duma, I'm half considering one to replace my Sitta. I might do a like for like swap, but the price of the Mosquito is certainly appealing. On a vaguely related note, how often do people find that they replace harnesses?
Arrived this morning, initial impressions from trying it on and hanging from the bannister:

Sizing, I wear 31" or 32" jeans and got the medium. I'm near the bottom of the size adjustment over  a t shirt but as dd says upthread, this puts the gear loops nice and even. Glad I didn't go for the small as I think if you were near the top of the size the loops would be noticeably wonky.
Comfort wise it's noticeably more comfortable than my BD Chaos, though I suspect with comfort it's more down to the individuals shape than any design improvement. It certainly has less padding than my BD, so I'd be surprised if it's that great to hang around in on a belay.
It's very light, but doesn't feel flimsy or underbuilt, though the rear set of gear loops are pretty feeble. Doesn't bother me as I'll keep the BD for trad anyway, and I'd be surprised if anyone would choose the Mosquito for that.

Overall really pleased so far.

RobK

• stalker
#19 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 27, 2021, 03:55:45 pm
Thanks Duma!

Duma

• forum hero
#20 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 27, 2021, 11:20:10 pm
Oh, and Outside threw in a free copy of true grit too!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#21 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 08:51:27 am
The John Wayne or Jeff Bridges version?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#22 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 09:09:57 am

I have had to replace a barely used harness after 1 route before; although I didn't begrudge it much as it was a 20 pitch off width in Yosemite.  I've had a lightweight Petzl before,  which I loved but it did not last long just sport climbing as others have said.  I like the Mammut one I have at the moment,  they're usually available for not much.  The Mosquito looks pretty good IMHO though.

Duma

• forum hero
#23 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 09:52:28 am
The John Wayne or Jeff Bridges version?
Hah! The Pete O'Donovan version.

Paul B

• forum hero
#24 Re: Wild Country Mosquito Harness
May 28, 2021, 10:46:16 am
Is climbing gear not tending towards lasting less time regardless of what it is we're discussing?

I recently retired a few mini-HMS carabiners that I bought in about 2012 to go on a big trip and I've used them ever since. They had large worn grooves. Looking around at the replacements and Petzl don't appear to do an equivalent that isn't an I-beam construction which I can't see lasting anywhere near as long under the same conditions.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal