UKBouldering.com

Snowden bouldering/gardening (Read 1130 times)

tim palmer

• forum abuser
Snowden bouldering/gardening
May 10, 2021, 10:26:59 am
I/ we were at snowden crag yesterday and had a quick chat with someone looking after the moor.  He was a little upset that "some climbers" had been excavating some vegetation where birds tend to nest.  He was very pleasant and said the climbers are usually fine but was concerned that such activity might upset birds nesting especially at this time of year. 

I don't know what the access situation to snowden is or even if it was climbers but I thought I should raise the issue here bearing in mind events at other small crags in Yorkshire i.e. Whitehouses

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1 Re: Snowden bouldering/gardening
May 10, 2021, 11:09:39 am
Hi Tim. That is possibly my doing. I did a couple of new problems a few weeks back. One was on a block that hadn't been climbed on and I did do some de-veging on the topout. Please apologies on my behalf if you see them again.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2 Re: Snowden bouldering/gardening
May 10, 2021, 11:13:54 am
Hi Tim. That is possibly my doing. I did a couple of new problems a few weeks back. One was on a block that hadn't been climbed on and I did do some de-veging on the topout. Please apologies on my behalf if you see them again.

Do grouse tend to nest on the precipitous edges of cragtops?

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Snowden bouldering/gardening
May 10, 2021, 11:23:52 am
He specifically mentioned wrens, but I must admit I have no idea where birds nest.

I don't think he had an axe to grind,  he was really polite and genuinely seemed concerned with the well-being of the wildlife.  He also seemed pretty relaxed with people climbing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal