technical > photography

Point and shoot recommendations

<< < (2/2)

Paul B:
Something that will shoot in RAW and Lightroom will help.

--- Quote from: Stewart on May 06, 2021, 10:54:29 am ---And I appreciate photography lessons would be cheaper and probably more effective!

--- End quote ---

Some targeted reading might help. Dynamic range might be a good starting point:
https://www.adorama.com/alc/dynamic-range-photography-explained/

If you've got half an idea what the camera is trying to achieve in automatic or semi-automatic modes it will help you use them more effectively.

EDIT: what JB said (and I'll add that there are enough people who are good at these things on UKB and generous with their knowledge that it wouldn't take a massive amount of effort to vastly improve your understanding).

sxrxg:
By the sounds of it you just want to point and shoot and get good results... In that case a good smartphone should do a good job for you. I would argue for lots of people that don't want to get into photography a Google Pixel 5 that does the processing in camera using lots of clever algorithms will give better results than most point and shoot cameras even if they technically have larger sensor and better lens that should make a difference. For example in your climber at sunset scene the phone camera will take multiple exposures and assemble the HDR image in the phone giving better results than could be achieved without significant post processing using a camera that otherwise has a significantly higher dynamic range.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version