UKBouldering.com

Non-target audience yakking about climbing brand (Read 4235 times)

Bradders

• forum hero
Is it weird that Third Rock's advertising and use of influencers makes me want to avoid their products like the plague?

mark20

• junky
Not at all. For the amount of bollocks that pops up on my social media I don’t even know what their products are

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
Is it weird that Third Rock's advertising and use of influencers makes me want to avoid their products like the plague?

I also find 3rd Rock's marketing rather vacuous which is a shame considering the limited experience I've had of their products has been positive.

Really the idea of using a livestreamed comp to feature your new product range is actually pretty great. It's just the tag line and the way it's been conceptualized as a 'fashion show' which feels odd.

Danny

• junky
I don't think 3rd Rock's approach is any more vacuous than using "professional climbers" to flog togs. It's probably more effective too, especially if you can't convince climbing A listers to pose in them, and would otherwise be stuck with a range of poker-faced 8B climbing A list wannabes who think the world owes them a living.

tomtom

• forum hero
For me the issue is that 3rd rock is trying not to be vacuous (or giving the impression of trying not to be vacuous) but is...

The "holding up a can of energy drink/cbd gummies" approach of certain pro-climbers is pretty clearly what it is....

I dunno - for me 3rd Rock's advertising is a turn off - but I am more 3rd Age than Rock.... so probably spot on then :D

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
a range of poker-faced 8B climbing A list wannabes who think the world owes them a living.

As someone who knows one of the people taking part in this, this is a pretty unfair accusation to throw at them. I haven't got a great deal of time for whatever it is that 3DR are doing here, but this is a pretty uncharitable opinion of a bunch of people who are already benefitting from sponsorship by 3DR and probably had this idea pitched to them in a very attractive manner.

erm, sam

• forum hero
Anyway. 3rd Rock are a climbing brand marketing to climbers, so OT. As far as I can see it is an imaginative idea that is quite interesting. All good to be slagging of Hermes or Chanel doing some stupid bags but quite a different thing to be moaning about a small UK brand doing something different.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I think we can recognise the Nathan Barley nature of the event and poke fun at that without having to slag the jobbing climbers taking part, for whom it must be a bit of a laugh.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
The name still makes me think of John Lithgow every time I read it.

tomtom

• forum hero
Anyway. 3rd Rock are a climbing brand marketing to climbers, so OT. As far as I can see it is an imaginative idea that is quite interesting. All good to be slagging of Hermes or Chanel doing some stupid bags but quite a different thing to be moaning about a small UK brand doing something different.

Thats fair enough - wasn't meaning to enter a forum pile on...

36chambers

• forum hero

After the "climb on wet grit no matter what" instagram post fiasco, I was left wondering whether 3rd Rock actually knew anything about climbing.

Danny

• junky
a range of poker-faced 8B climbing A list wannabes who think the world owes them a living.

As someone who knows one of the people taking part in this, this is a pretty unfair accusation to throw at them. I haven't got a great deal of time for whatever it is that 3DR are doing here, but this is a pretty uncharitable opinion of a bunch of people who are already benefitting from sponsorship by 3DR and probably had this idea pitched to them in a very attractive manner.

Tongue firmly in cheek old bean. I also happen to know a few people who are sponsored by 3rd Rock, one of whom puts out excellent content and is also pretty fucking good at rock climbing. I've no issue with the better than me but still not that good crowd—plenty of them do interesting things and have interesting things to say on social media. Equally, I do know a few miserable arseholes who are very capable but will never be good sponsorship martial because they seem to think the occasional blurry photo and big grades sell togs. 

The subtext to this 3rd Rock conversation reads to me like "influencers only climb 6B but are effectively sponsored". If the aim is to reach more climbers and sell more togs, then going the influencer route seems pretty sensible to me.

Bradders

• forum hero
If the aim is to reach more climbers and sell more togs, then going the influencer route seems pretty sensible to me.

Totally agree with that, I was just saying it completely turns me off and I was wondering if it was just me being weird  :shrug:

Danny

• junky
I reckon your feelings on this would be in line with the majority on this forum Bradders. Including me to some extent. Though it depends. I find a lot of the A-Lister content on Instagram to be anodyne AF and, grades aside, nearly indistinguishable from influencer content. I do like the platform though. Plenty of gems amongst the choss.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Split as off topic, may logpile.

Danny

• junky
You've lost me there Duncan. But hey, moderate away. 

mark s

• junky
I've seen them on either Facebook or the gram. I have never clicked the link as it doesn't appeal to me. Seems to be more and more product pushing, not just from the elite which I don't mind so much as climbing is their income. The nobodies pushing crap products and pretending to be some sponsored wad is too much for me.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
The original thread is healthy piss-taking of non-climbing companies jumping on the climbing bandwagon plus a few side-swipes at the likes of TNF. I didn’t feel the 3rd rock posts were about climbing-going-mainstream-weirdness other than, possibly, the fashion show. It read to me as a bunch of guys piling into a small climbing company operating in a slightly different way to what they were accustomed to.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been a bit nonplussed by 3rd Rock marketing but I recognise I am very far from their target customer.

Teaboy

• forum hero
Christ, perish the thought that something as important as climbing should be made to appear vacuous!

YorkshireTea

• regular
I don't really have owt against this comp thing and definitely nowt against the climbers taking part, a good laugh I bet and cool to have the chance at a comp at the moment.

One thing I did notice with 3rd rock was a tie dye sweatshirt ( https://www.3rdrockclothing.com/collections/sweats-hoodies/products/flare-unisex-overdyed-tie-dye-sweat )that I was sure I'd seen somewhere else. I had a check and yup, I had. The company I buy blank white clothing to tie dye myself sells them pre dyed, 3rd rock prints their logo on and flogs them for £60. A bit lazy but it's good business, if anyone wants one I'm happy to uncut them and print UKB on the sleeve instead  ;)

Excuse the nichest of niche criticisms, not trying to pile on them, they seem to be a pretty decent company and people seem to rate their stuff generally

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
If that is indeed true it seems in opposition to their "uniquely designed" ethos https://www.3rdrockclothing.com/pages/about-us-the-3rd-rock-story

YorkshireTea

• regular
I can't say for sure but the timing matches and it's a pretty unique design. Maybe they saw it and decided to copy it but it seems odd to pick the same design and colours when tie dye has endless possibilities, plus it's got the same baggy fit.

YorkshireTea

• regular

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
Mean to embed the image but failed so https://www.flickr.com/photos/143679324@N05/51141208752/

I don't really care about climbing comps or clothing but cripes if that were a big brand I'd expect to see a lawsuit.

Bradders

• forum hero
Mean to embed the image but failed so https://www.flickr.com/photos/143679324@N05/51141208752/

I don't really care about climbing comps or clothing but cripes if that were a big brand I'd expect to see a lawsuit.

Doubt it. Surely the company selling them to 3rd Rock know who they're selling them to, and what's then happening to them. Imagine it's really very common in clothing supply chains tbh.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal