UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !! (Read 39481 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#200 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 12:01:29 pm
We needed a new toothbrush as the old one broke, new one has Bluetooth... Why oh why... Luckily it works fine "dumb".

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#201 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 12:25:30 pm
Bluetooth? It’ll take more than an electric toothbrush to fix that.

petejh

• forum hero
#202 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 12:27:28 pm
 :clap2:

petejh

• forum hero
#203 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 12:35:49 pm
Bought an IR heating panel yesterday which has app connectivity but can still operate it manually, wouldn't like to be constrained by app only. It's good being able to adjust my heating from my phone on the other side of the world to annoy whoever's in at the time.

Just pulled the trigger on an 8.3kwp solar install. Will probably add an additional small ground mount at a later date to up it to over 10kwp. When I finally get around to an EV I should have free charging.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#204 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 01:12:55 pm
I am going round in circles on car choices at the moment and would appreciate some advice from the cognoscenti here.

In principle I would love to move to an EV. But I live in a terraced house in London and cannot guarantee I can park in front of it. So would be somewhat reliant on public charging I expect.

I don't use my car much - more for weekend trips out of London to climb or bike or go on holiday, visit my parents etc than commuting.

I want big practical boot space for boulder pad plus all the stuff that travelling around with 2 young kids entails. Think family holiday to Font with boulder pad, bikes, clothes etc. Currently starting to become impossible in my Focus hatchback.

I don't want something that is massive and impossible to park on my little street.

I am oscillating between something like a petrol BMW 3 series, a plug in hybrid Volvo V60 (which has the biggest boot I can see in a hybrid plus pretty decent performance), or a full EV like a Kia EV6 (not sure about boot space) or a Tesla Model Y.

On the petrol or hybrid I worry a lot about depreciation. On the EV I worry about practicality of charging. Any advice or views to help me come to a decision would be welcome!

kac

• addict
#205 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 01:38:57 pm
Are you not worried about the depreciation of an electric car? From what I have read it's been greater than ICE cars recently although I suspect in part because Tesla reduced prices. It sounds like a Skoda Octavia would be a good choice or enyaq I'd you go electric. If you are using it for mainly longer journeys I'd question whether a hybrid is worth it. Surely the battery will run out pretty quickly on a long journey and then it's just extra weight and no environmental benefit. I got a Tiguan allspace fairly recently mainly because can get a big mat in the back without removing child seats. Pain in the arse to park though so will try to change as soon as I don't need child seats and will hopefully get electric.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#206 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 02:01:00 pm
Are you not worried about the depreciation of an electric car?

I guess I'm looking 5 or 7 years into the future - what will prices of petrol/diesel cars be doing then when they are being phased out (for new buys) in 2030? Will it increase scarcity and therefore hold price? Or will people just not want one?

If you are using it for mainly longer journeys I'd question whether a hybrid is worth it. Surely the battery will run out pretty quickly on a long journey and then it's just extra weight and no environmental benefit.
Yeah I don't like the idea of lugging a massive dead weight battery around on longer journeys.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#207 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 02:22:53 pm
I want big practical boot space for boulder pad plus all the stuff that travelling around with 2 young kids entails. Think family holiday to Font with boulder pad, bikes, clothes etc. Currently starting to become impossible in my Focus hatchback.

I don't want something that is massive and impossible to park on my little street.

I fear the above two requirements are mutually exclusive!  We've had an e2008 for three years which has been great but a struggle for family trips away due to the size & range.  Just ordered a Skoda Enyaq (longer range model) for when the lease ends later this year.  I drove a colleagues Enyaq recently and the boot is massive + proper room for adults in the back seats (or kids + STUFF)

I'd agree with the others, if most of your driving is going to be longer distances and not 'around town', then you either bite the bullet and go full EV or stick to a really efficient ICE for now, not sure of the point of hybrid for your usecase

ben

• obsessive maniac
#208 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 02:25:36 pm
talking of EVs and Font.. am going for a week in summer half term and it will be the first time have taken the EV abroad.  Any advice/tips/feedback on public charging in northern France ?   (not a tesla, normal CCS)

James Malloch

• forum hero
#209 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 05:08:22 pm

No idea on what they are like, but the Berlingo now has an EV version. Giant Boot space in their ICE versions so I’d assume that it’s the same in the EV?

tomtom

• forum hero
#210 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 06:20:45 pm
Tesla Model Y has an enormous boot. And they've just cut the price. I dislike Tesla's but its an attractive proposition compared to the competition.

RE: EV depreciation. Values have dropped alot in the last 3-4 months - but dropped to something vaguely normal. To put it in perspective, I bought one in June 2021 for £23.5k. Sold it in June 2022 (+14000 miles) for £31.5k. Now the same model is on Autotrader for £24-25k... so a correction.

However - Tesla dropped the price of M3 and MY but c.£5k a month ago - and literally overnight the  used values dropped by c.20%. Partly this is due to the price cut - but also there being a raft of 2 and 3 year old Tesla's now coming to the end of their leases and coming on to the market. Tesla Model 3's are the Mondeo of the EV market right now...

sdm

• forum abuser
#211 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 06:46:48 pm
We needed a new toothbrush as the old one broke, new one has Bluetooth... Why oh why... Luckily it works fine "dumb".
My electric toothbrush must be about 15 years old and it has Bluetooth. It was the only model at the time that worked with the brush heads that my dentist recommended I used.

It's so old that it couldn't even connect to a phone app. It had a separate Bluetooth receiver that could store a few weeks worth of data, then you were supposed to plug the receiver into your phone or a computer via USB.

I never even put batteries in the receiver before throwing it away. There's no way to tell the toothbrush to turn off Bluetooth so I wonder how much energy has been wasted over the years trying to connect to a non-existent device.

ali k

• junky
#212 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 08:11:28 pm
if most of your driving is going to be longer distances and not 'around town', then you either bite the bullet and go full EV or stick to a really efficient ICE for now, not sure of the point of hybrid for your usecase
:agree: This comment a thousand times over!!! I’m currently driving a hybrid as a company car and I’d be bankrupt if I didn’t also have a fuel card. Battery lasts about 15-20 miles at a push and the fuel efficiency for motorway driving is utterly abysmal.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#213 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 08:25:09 pm
Agree re unsuitability of hybrids for intermittent longish trips - my work often involves 100-250 mile round trips for site visits.  One of my colleagues had a hybrid and his average economy was around 35-39 mpg - which was barely covered by the mileage allowance (he was sometimes out of pocket).  I'd go full electric but my house only has street parking, so I'm selfishly sticking with diesel estates for now, until they become unavailable or the charging infrastructure gets a lot better (55-60 mpg, plus the occasional Ad-Blu top up). 

SamT

• forum hero
#214 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 02, 2023, 09:48:47 pm
talking of EVs and Font.. am going for a week in summer half term and it will be the first time have taken the EV abroad.  Any advice/tips/feedback on public charging in northern France ?   (not a tesla, normal CCS)

Loads and loads of EVs making the trip to the Alps this half term so definitely doable.. most Aires had charging stations.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#215 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 03, 2023, 01:04:39 pm

Loads and loads of EVs making the trip to the Alps this half term so definitely doable.. most Aires had charging stations.
great - thanks Sam

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#216 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 03, 2023, 05:47:19 pm

great - thanks Sam

Driving in France is such a pleasure I think* - the 'aire' system is great, there are less cars on the road, people seem to have more lane discipline.

*Except around Paris. But even that isn't that bad compared to parts of London. Or [shudder] Naples. Where I was overtaken on the right by a motorbike while I was indicating and turning right...

petejh

• forum hero
#217 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
March 03, 2023, 10:19:11 pm
Are you not worried about the depreciation of an electric car?

I guess I'm looking 5 or 7 years into the future - what will prices of petrol/diesel cars be doing then when they are being phased out (for new buys) in 2030? Will it increase scarcity and therefore hold price? Or will people just not want one?

There's a reasonable possibility that sale of new ICE won't be outlawed by 2030. It'll depend on the supply of battery materials being sufficient to make EVs affordable for the masses. Many analysts are currently predicting this affordability won't happen by 2030 due to shortage of battery materials. A lot can change between now and then though. The economist ran a series of good articles on the EV transition, free for a month if you cancel subscription: https://www.economist.com/business/2022/08/14/could-the-ev-boom-run-out-of-juice-before-it-really-gets-going?utm_campaign=a.coronavirus-special-edition&utm_medium=email.internal-newsletter.np&utm_source=salesforce-marketing-cloud&utm_term=20230225&utm_content=ed-picks-article-link-4&etear=nl_special_4&utm_campaign=a.coronavirus-special-edition&utm_medium=email.internal-newsletter.np&utm_source=salesforce-marketing-cloud&utm_term=2/25/2023&utm_id=1501831

I wouldn't be shocked to see a niche market for good quality ICE in 2030. I reckon a few people with access to capital and storage will be hoarding some ICE in the late 2020s in case of a run. But then I also wouldn't be shocked to see ICE disappear almost overnight in Europe from 2030, say in the space of 5 years, if progression of technology and supply of raw materials ramps up sufficiently to meet demand.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 10:39:24 pm by petejh »

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#218 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
August 26, 2023, 04:12:43 pm
Anyone rented one / used one in Provence?

Getting the TGV to Avignon and a rental Fiat 500 electric is an option for the same or less than the petrol version. Used the latter earlier this year in Spain which was perfectly adequate for our needs.

It's unclear but I'm presuming it will be the 24kW version with a range of ~120 miles - a shopping trolly - not far enough to get us to La Palud. 

Thoughts?

UnkArl

• player
#219 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
August 26, 2023, 04:28:28 pm
I’d be very (VERY) suprised if you get 120miles out of a 24kWh battery (unless you’re quoting the power of the motor 24kW). We have a 30kWh Leaf (admittedly a 2016 model) and we might just scrape 80miles if we’re lucky I think.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#220 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
August 26, 2023, 09:56:59 pm
and how would you charge it in la palud? La france profonde is not well equiped with charging stations.

petejh

• forum hero
#221 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
August 26, 2023, 10:43:15 pm
https://map.electromaps.com/en/

Shows a charging station in La Palud, and ones en-route Avignon-La Palud. No idea of cost or which ones are operational, appears you have to sign up to see details.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#222 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
August 27, 2023, 12:23:02 am
We rented a Zoe for a trip in Spain 2 years ago. Obvs that has a lot more range (50 kwh?) other than the charger in Margalef being flakey and the one in the next two down the hill being out of service, we had a great time and would do it again.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#223 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
August 27, 2023, 06:03:16 pm
https://map.electromaps.com/en/

Shows a charging station in La Palud, and ones en-route Avignon-La Palud. No idea of cost or which ones are operational, appears you have to sign up to see details.

There seems to be a charging station in La Palud now, near the gas station & cornershop (8 a huit). At least that's what google tells me when I search for "borne de recharge voiture la palud sur verdon"

https://fr.chargemap.com/le-vignaou.html

In my defence, it wasn't there in April

stone

• forum abuser
#224 Re: Cars, Cars, Electric CARS !!
August 27, 2023, 09:29:10 pm
There's a reasonable possibility that sale of new ICE won't be outlawed by 2030. It'll depend on the supply of battery materials being sufficient to make EVs affordable for the masses. Many analysts are currently predicting this affordability won't happen by 2030 due to shortage of battery materials.
It doesn't just depend on battery materials. Decent, affordable/free public transport (and 20min neighbourhoods etc) could mean fewer people want/need personal cars. If we/the_powers_that_be choose not to set that up, then we should at least admit that we had such a choice and didn't take it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal