UKBouldering.com

North Wales with kids (Read 2022 times)

mic_b

• regular
North Wales with kids
April 26, 2021, 07:54:49 am
Hi I’m going for a long weekend to north Wales staying near Bala.

I’ve just bought the huge! New bouldering guide and I’m looking for places to take my family with 2 young children 3 & 5. I’m after somewhere that’s a short walk in and safe for the kids to run around. Preferably somewhere with some easy Boulder / scrambling for the children and a spread of grades for the adults. Does anyone have any recommendations? I’m happy to drive a fair bit for the right place.

Thanks

Michael

Ross Barker

• menacing presence
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
#1 Re: North Wales with kids
April 26, 2021, 08:01:11 am
RAC boulders comes to mind, great little venue.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#2 Re: North Wales with kids
April 26, 2021, 10:39:17 am
Trawsfynydd if not boiling hot (not a great deal of shade) is top notch. Nothing particularly hard but the rock is quality, landings all good and a lake right there. Also pretty close to you.

Caseg Fraith has lots of options, family friendly parking and approach, with the option of Idwal Cottage a bit further down the road too.

RAC is the popular choice but can get super busy and the rock is pretty shiny. Fighting off random dogs from your sandwiches can be half the battle.

Some seaside venues have bits and bobs of easy bouldering on Anglesey. Moelfre, Benllech has some random stuff on the beach for barefoot shenanigans, but being on the beach and eating icecream will be the priority over good bouldering. Trearddur Bay on Anglesey has a lovely little crag (tidal) called the Ghost Cave which can be gloriously warm and plenty of rockpooling options.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: North Wales with kids
April 26, 2021, 11:17:43 am
Theres a circuit at Bala now isnt there? Might be on the (old) mid wales bouldering/climbing website?

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#4 Re: North Wales with kids
April 26, 2021, 07:41:48 pm
The new guide has a table in the front with a column showing the kid friendly places. Other than those listed, there are a couple of good spots on clegir and fachwen for kiddie adventure

mic_b

• regular
#5 Re: North Wales with kids
April 26, 2021, 08:31:06 pm
Hey. I’ve just logged in after a tough day at work! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I really appreciate the input. I’m sure we will have have a great time exploring the suggested arrears  ;D

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Re: North Wales with kids
April 26, 2021, 08:49:08 pm
Trawsfynydd if not boiling hot (not a great deal of shade) is top notch. Nothing particularly hard but the rock is quality, landings all good and a lake right there. Also pretty close to you.
And the best 6C in the UK :worms:

Carreg Y Foel Gron could be another option for a steady circuit, kid friendly approach and flat grassy bits.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#7 Re: North Wales with kids
April 27, 2021, 09:11:26 am
We went to Anglesey the other year (with kids 3 and 6) and I can vouch for RAC as a good / safe for kids / plenty of climbing for all ages.

Didn't actually get to climb at Moelfre thanks to terrible weather but we went more than once - there's a nice rocky beach there, a cool sea platform for the kids to scramble about on, the cafe over the road looks good (it was so rammed we couldn't get in) and the little ice cream place next to the beach was the best ice cream we had on the trip!

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#8 Re: North Wales with kids
April 27, 2021, 11:28:59 am
Also if you're really really psyched about going sideways there's been a lot of development at Castell Mawr at Red Wharf Bay (https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/castell_mawr_red_wharf_bay-26374)

Obviously given the nature of traversing it's reasonably kid friendly, and you can get there quickly off the beach if you want to leave the family in the sun for an hour.

ducko

• forum abuser
#9 Re: North Wales with kids
April 27, 2021, 01:46:13 pm
RAC is ideal for what you’re after, the cromlech has a good variety of bits, braichmelyn is a nice spot though harder climbing.  Enjoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal