UKBouldering.com

Lamping disrupting nesting birds (Read 1926 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Lamping disrupting nesting birds
April 23, 2021, 01:09:12 pm
There’s a (now long) thread on the Lancs Facebook page about problems with people lamping at Widdop causing issues for nesting birds.

The issue - If it is an issue - seems generic - that people sat in one spot for an hour or two with lights on may disrupt nesting birds and / or their young. So figured it’s worth flagging up here - even though the evenings are lighter and lamping is presumably not happening much..

(Disclaimer - I know nothing about this - but probably worth raising/discussing here).

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Lamping disrupting nesting birds
April 23, 2021, 01:59:18 pm
There's already a thread on UKB about this which prompted a BMC best practice article that currently has a broken link. Shark has asked Alex to look into it.
https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=26747.25

Shark quoted the article in full:
https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,26747.msg516128.html#msg516128

www.thebmc.co.uk/night-climbing-bouldering-lantern-sessions-tips

Is bouldering at night the perfect time to try your long-time project? It's true that the lower temps can mean better friction, plus you won't have to queue up for rock, but are there any issues with climbing in the dark? We highlight what's best if you're planning on cragging at night.

There’s something special about being out in wild places at night, and sending that bouldering project you’ve been trying for months is always a bonus too. But we must not forget that as climbers we have to remember to act responsibly, else risk losing access to these areas both at night and in the day. To help light your way, we consider three things you might not have thought about but should be aware of, followed by our top tips for bouldering at night.

Three things to be wary of

1. Visibility is vulnerability

As Peak Area access stalwart Henry Folkard is fond of saying: “To be visible is to be vulnerable.”

It’s much more conspicuous to boulder at night with head-torches, lanterns and other lights – way more than when climbing during the day. To maintain our access to these areas at all times, we have to be a little more considerate than normal.

At night, lights can be seen from a considerable distance and noise carries much further, which can easily draw a lot of attention to you. Take the hypothetical example of a venue located outside of access land where low-key climbing happens but isn’t known about by the landowner. A visit at night with bright lights is much more likely to be noticed and could easily result in an access ban.

This caution can even be necessary at venues with well-established access. Night bouldering is a fairly unusual activity, especially when looked at from a non-climber’s perspective, and can arouse suspicion in the general public, landowners and authorities.

The general advice is to keep things as low-key as possible and try not to disturb anybody. In particular, venues that are close to or in view of someone’s house are best avoided.

2. Wildlife needs sleep too

If we’re climbing round-the-clock, we’re putting additional pressure on our countryside. And from a conservation perspective, we might be disturbing a number of natural habitats and the fauna that live in them; it’s a growing concern among land managers.

For instance, birds might be roosting in or around the areas we use for climbing, and the reduction of normal quiet periods can disturb these and other types of animals’ routine. Of particular concern is night-time activity during the bird breeding season between March and July.

As with day-time activity, it is also important to take account of any restrictions that might be in place. Remember to check for access issues on the BMC Regional Access Database (RAD) before you go and also take care to check for signs on-site with access warnings.

3. A case of mistaken identity

There are many reasons why authorities or even passers-by might mistake your intent when night-bouldering, so don’t be surprised if you’re confronted.

In upland areas, livestock rustling (whilst not an everyday occurrence) is still a significant problem. This means farmers, rangers and rural policemen could take more of an interest in a group of people out on a moor with bright lights than you might expect.

Meanwhile, wild camping and the resulting mess left by poorly-behaved groups is an issue in other areas. And stationary lights on a crag after dark might also make a kind-hearted passer-by wonder if an accident has occurred and call emergency services.

Our eight tips for responsible night climbing:

1. Choose wisely

Think about whether your intended venue is really suitable for a visit during the hours of darkness. Are there any access issues (check our Regional Access Database), will you disturb anyone on the walk to the crag, is there potential for people/farmers to think you’re up to no good? If there’s a chance that you’ll be worrying people or disturbing their night, there might be a better choice of crag to visit; is it worth the risk of compromising already shaky access?

2. Head-torches only on walk-in

Keep your big lights off during the walk in to keep disturbance to a minimum. It also reduces the impact you’ll be making on wildlife and livestock. Remember, most people and a lot of animals like to sleep during the night, so try to avoid waking anything up.

3. Direct your light

Try to keep your light pollution to a minimum. By that, we mean not needlessly waving around torches – instead direct your lanterns onto the rock and away from houses, turn off lights if you’re not climbing, potentially use red light as it doesn’t travel as far.

4. Forget fuel if you can

Take LED lamps – the technology is cheap these days and will give you hours of light if used correctly. If you only have a gas or fuel-burning lamp, just make sure that it’s either hung from a secure stand or placed on a non-flammable bit of countryside (like a rock!) to mitigate the risk of starting a fire.

5. Remember rubbish

It’s easy to lose things at night and rubbish is no exception. Pack away your rubbish before you forget where you put it or you’ll be leaving a mess for the wildlife to get into. 

6. Extra vigilance

Remember that climbing at night is totally different. You have to be extra cautious when spotting, topping out, down climbing, walking out, or even just when wandering out of the light. Be extra careful to avoid any unfortunate accidents that are always more complicated to deal with in the dark.

7. Careful whispers

Noise carries further in the dark, so try not to carelessly shout when egging on your mates or if you’ve just topped out your project. Remember, with night climbing you’re trying to keep a low profile and avoid having anyone know you’re out there.

8. Fun times

Lantern sessions will always be very limited by the scarcity of suitable venues, problems or even conditions, but the key is to think through your plans before you head out and consider if any of the issues highlighted might apply to your choice of venue. Once you’ve settled on a good option, remember you’ll likely draw at least a little attention, so behave responsibly, keep noise to a minimum, and most importantly have fun!

I can't see it being a continued problem (if it was a problem) going into the summer as the evenings are now a hell of a lot longer/lighter and things are warming up. I was there on Wed night with Nat and we were the only people climbing that I could see within the valley. The previous weekends I was up at Clattering Stones, Scout and Scout Hut and similarly saw nobody (other than Peewee / Caleb).

Weekends are rammed but this doesn't appear to translate into a large number of climbers.

macca7

• addict
#2 Re: Lamping disrupting nesting birds
April 23, 2021, 02:07:20 pm
Interestingly this has just come up in a discussion we are having regarding continued access to the bouldering in BOvey Woods in Devon.

The land owners of the Woodland Trust are fairly adamant that Lamping is really bad for the wildlife in the woods, bats, nesting birds etc.

No lamp sessions due to this reason is one of the conditions of the very delicate continued access to this glorious woodland venue.

As you both say less of an issue now but they really weren't happy about it taking place and the potential impact on the wildlife.

I presume it must be similar in other places with woodland venues being the worst affected?

Cheers

Macca

SamT

• forum hero
#3 Re: Lamping disrupting nesting birds
April 23, 2021, 03:45:04 pm
Just anecdotally, but I've been calling the peak, Peak 24/7 just of late. 

Been out mountain biking over winter lock down months (so as guilty as the next person) but everywhere is lit up.  Bikers, runners, walkers, boulders, trad climbers etc etc.   

Is it problem confined just to boulders..  :shrug:

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lamping disrupting nesting birds
April 23, 2021, 04:14:43 pm
From Facebook one answer to that question Sam was that walkers/riders are just passing through / moving whereas boulder lights will be in one spot for an hour or more...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#5 Re: Lamping disrupting nesting birds
April 23, 2021, 05:04:04 pm
Funny, really.

I have three dogs, they get let out into the garden several times a day, last at around midnight.
That triggers all the motion sensor lights and illuminates most of the area to a greater degree than most lamping sessions (I guess, it’s four floods).
The garden is regularly patrolled by various neighbour’s cats and I have seen rats in the garden too.
Yet, our nest boxes are both occupied again this spring. There’s a nest in one of our Blackthorns and I’m sure there’s a couple in ivy on one wall, based on watching several LBJ’s flitting in and out of it.
Possibly the bird types involved are less resilient to human crap in those locations? I’m no ornithologist.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6 Re: Lamping disrupting nesting birds
April 23, 2021, 05:56:23 pm
Think there is a lot of evidence that lights at night eg back porch left on all night quite disruptive to wildlife including insects.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Lamping disrupting nesting birds
April 23, 2021, 06:04:06 pm
Possibly the bird types involved are less resilient to human crap in those locations? I’m no ornithologist.

This, plus they are often tree or building nesters, whereas on the open moorland there are a lot of ground nesters which are more sensitive to people tramping about, especially at night with bright lights

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Lamping disrupting nesting birds
April 23, 2021, 07:47:45 pm
Funny, really.

I have three dogs, they get let out into the garden several times a day, last at around midnight.
That triggers all the motion sensor lights and illuminates most of the area to a greater degree than most lamping sessions (I guess, it’s four floods).
The garden is regularly patrolled by various neighbour’s cats and I have seen rats in the garden too.
Yet, our nest boxes are both occupied again this spring. There’s a nest in one of our Blackthorns and I’m sure there’s a couple in ivy on one wall, based on watching several LBJ’s flitting in and out of it.

I'm not an ornithologist either but different species surely have different tolerances to human behaviour: pigeons vs woodpeckers. There is also variation within a species: some Peregrines thrive in cities, others live in remote settings and are easily disturbed by humans. 

You'd expect birds that chose to live close to Matt to be quite tolerant of noise and lights! Birds expecting a quiet night on't moor will not be so happy when the send team arrive.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal