UKBouldering.com

Another Wall in Leeds? (Read 12095 times)

Bradders

• forum hero
#50 Re: Another Wall in Leeds?
April 18, 2021, 11:27:13 am
it will make less sense for walls to try and be THE wall for everyone.. (something the Depot(s) may have to deal with in the future).

Definitely agree this is a problem that the Depot, particularly Pudsey, have failed to negotiate so far, in my humble opinion. That is partly because for a long time they had virtually no competition, so everyone just had to make do, but lately trying to be family / kids with non-climbing parents friendly AND a social venue AND a training facility just doesn't work with the space they have (which is very limited).

To be fair though I think that stratification is already happening. I.e. City Bloc following their re-development are going head-to-head with LSD for the training / performance crowd, the Lab and the Hub are catering for the kids and social crowd and the Depot are opening an absolutely massive new centre so they can keep trying to be all things to all people. And really that just means we're all very spoiled in the Leeds area  ;D

Not that I'll be leaving my shed any time soon  :-\

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#51 Re: Another Wall in Leeds?
April 20, 2021, 03:04:30 pm
Unconfirmed rumour is that Depot Pudsey will be closing - conveniently solving its "wall for everybody" problem by becoming a wall for nobody.
If true, thank fuck all my friends have just built boards nearby. Anyone know for definite?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#52 Re: Another Wall in Leeds?
April 20, 2021, 03:33:22 pm
Going to be a bit more of a fight at rush hour to get to the new one if that’s the case! Although new one is only a mile from Leeds station so a train may be viable option.

Bradders

• forum hero
#53 Re: Another Wall in Leeds?
April 20, 2021, 03:38:11 pm
Unconfirmed rumour is that Depot Pudsey will be closing - conveniently solving its "wall for everybody" problem by becoming a wall for nobody.
If true, thank fuck all my friends have just built boards nearby. Anyone know for definite?

Well yeah since they're replacing it with the new massive one...makes sense. I don't know it's definite though.

My dream of it becoming Leeds' School Room seems very unlikely sadly.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#54 Re: Another Wall in Leeds?
April 20, 2021, 06:30:17 pm

Turns out this is entirely untrue so make sure your source is suitably rebuked.

The boss man says it’s not closing and they have big plans for that site.

On further map research it turns out the new site is also one mile from Northern Monk 😍

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#55 Re: Another Wall in Leeds?
April 20, 2021, 07:50:46 pm

Turns out this is entirely untrue so make sure your source is suitably rebuked.

The boss man says it’s not closing and they have big plans for that site.

On further map research it turns out the new site is also one mile from Northern Monk 😍

Rebuking now. Thanks for the beta.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#56 Re: Another Wall in Leeds?
April 21, 2021, 01:30:49 pm
Would be intrigued to see what the plans are for Pudsey Depot - as Bradders says, hiving off the kid's parties and punters to The Mega-Depot Leeds and flipping Depot Pudsey to some kind of Unit E would be an interesting move, not sure how many Leeds wads operating only at the (say) mid-7s and above there would be to sustain it though.

tomtom

• forum hero
#57 Re: Another Wall in Leeds?
April 21, 2021, 01:34:12 pm
Would be intrigued to see what the plans are for Pudsey Depot - as Bradders says, hiving off the kid's parties and punters to The Mega-Depot Leeds and flipping Depot Pudsey to some kind of Unit E would be an interesting move, not sure how many Leeds wads operating only at the (say) mid-7s and above there would be to sustain it though.

Tanning salon. Money laundering turnover is greater ;)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#58 Re: Another Wall in Leeds?
April 21, 2021, 02:39:51 pm
Would be a bit of a commute for Adam Lincoln and Gresh though

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal