UKBouldering.com

Bouldering Unicorn Jacket (Read 6442 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 10:42:46 am
I’ve been searching long and hard for the perfect bouldering jacket for UK climes and where I go - and always end up disappointed....

Ideally - I want something:

warm (for sat on my arse in between efforts)

Windproof (obvs)

Light (for longer walk ins - that doesn’t weigh a tonne)

Waterproof (not full on 5 hours under a shower rating - but enough so I can scuttle back to the car in 30 min without getting soaked) - more than water - resistant and hopefully with taped seams.

Moderately durable (ie won’t rip with the slightest scuff against some brown scrittly rocks)

Costs less than £150. Hopefully much less.

I know I want the moon on a stick etc...

Would seem to suit a synthetic fill with a fairly waterproof outer - but there seems to be nothing out there that fits the bill. Can’t be arsed with down which is great for sitting on your arse when it’s dry - but gets too sweaty walking in abs obvs shite if it rains. Happy with insulated jackets I’ve had/got apart from the waterproof stuff. I know - could take a waterproof shell as well - but why take two jackets etc...

There you go Rab and Alpkit - get on it. :D

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 11:02:42 am
The sort of thing you’re after always ends up costing more, as you are essentially buying two jackets stitched together!

I really think your best option (even though you’ve said no) is a second hand oversized shell, to fit over whatever insulated jackets you already have and are happy with. Any sign of rain and just sling that in your pad too, negligible weight addition compared to all the other bouldering paraphernalia 😄

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 11:10:19 am

I'm sure they make something just not in your budget, try Columbia or Regatta.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 11:18:08 am
So you want a slimline yet extremely warm (equivalent to 800 fill down) jacket that is well made to ensure durability, with high quality taped seams for waterproofing, that costs less than £150?!  :-\

I hope you find one, let me know if you do! I would think you'd struggle to get a really good quality synthetic/down or waterproof on their own for that money brand new. I have bought my last two down jackets second hand and still paid approx £100 I think.

This looks half decent but nothing on the warmth of a proper down/synthetic I'd have thought. https://moonclimbing.com/meteor-jacket.html

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 11:22:11 am
I’ve been searching long and hard for the perfect bouldering jacket for UK climes and where I go - and always end up disappointed....

Ideally - I want something:

warm (for sat on my arse in between efforts)

Windproof (obvs)

Light (for longer walk ins - that doesn’t weigh a tonne)

Waterproof (not full on 5 hours under a shower rating - but enough so I can scuttle back to the car in 30 min without getting soaked) - more than water - resistant and hopefully with taped seams.

Moderately durable (ie won’t rip with the slightest scuff against some brown scrittly rocks)

Costs less than £150. Hopefully much less.

I know I want the moon on a stick etc...

Would seem to suit a synthetic fill with a fairly waterproof outer - but there seems to be nothing out there that fits the bill. Can’t be arsed with down which is great for sitting on your arse when it’s dry - but gets too sweaty walking in abs obvs shite if it rains. Happy with insulated jackets I’ve had/got apart from the waterproof stuff. I know - could take a waterproof shell as well - but why take two jackets etc...

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/buffalo-mountain-shirt?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=100624067

There is a hood, sold separately that bumps it up to a serious bit of winter kit.

There’s also a lighter 3 season version (Active 6 shirt? iirc).

Still the Canine’s gonads and bomb proof, even if it is 40 (?) years old. Which is about how long one will last you. This is “family heirloom” stuff, your grandkids will inherit it from you.

Edit:
Worth the balance between your budget. Just chop it up over your expected life time and look at as a yearly rate...

Also, and this might sound a bit odd.

I got a Dryrobe for my birthday, back in Dec. I thought they were a bit if a gimmick, but they seriously change the game for swimming in the winter etc and just don’t get wet. You can pull it on without drying yourself at all and you dry and it stays dry. It just doesn’t absorb water.

Then a cousin who passed out of CTCRM Lympstone a couple years ago, tells me the long sleeve cammo version has become a hit as an Ally bit of kit amongst their snipers (a bit “noisy” apparently, but like a wearable sleeping bag that doesn’t get soggy. They stick sniper tape (very sticky, cloth, tape) over the normal rub areas to quiet it).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 11:32:04 am by Oldmanmatt »

dunnyg

• forum hero
#7 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 11:25:10 am
I got a patagucci DAS parker for some expedition/alps back in the day. Got it on deals and used it for fieldwork (carefully) and winter bouldering, as well as winter climbing. Fits the bill, but only if you get it on deals. Saw one for 180 when i googled it but it is probably for midgets. It got a bit sad when sprinkled with car battery acid (as did I), but some home made repairs with sail repair tape have almost restored it. Ive had it 7ish years, and only warmer thing I have is a mahoosive down jacket from MEC in canada (best 100 dollars I ever spent), which is boss when its mega cold sessions (had naps in the snow whilst ice climbing in it). Not great if it rains though!

Probably not what you want to hear!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#8 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 11:36:23 am

T_B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 11:44:59 am
Depends how ‘warm’ TT is after but I have an ME Fitzroy (similar spec as above) and I switch to down mid-winter as the Fitzroy ain’t warm enough for sitting around in.

Also, down is too expensive for his spec but unless you’re talking Scottish Winter the outer shells on new down jackets keep them much drier than down jackets of yesteryear. ME don’t mess about putting waterproofing treatments on their down as they don’t need to.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 11:54:05 am
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-downhill-ski-jacket-900-warm/_/R-p-157831

This could be a possibility with a bit of modification...
It should be warm, windproof, it is waterproof and has taped seams, it should be more durable than a climbing jacket as it has to deal with the bumps that come with skiing and carrying skis.

I couldn't find a weight however i suspect it won't be the most lightweight. You could potentially save weight though by cutting out the cuffs and snow skirt. Suspect this would be easy to do without making the jacket look too much of a mess and then could meet your requirements. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 11:56:47 am
If all you are looking for is something to throw on and walk back to the car if you are going to get soaked, you could always just get a lightweight running jacket that packs down to a small size to slip on, and a separate warm jacket.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/kiprun-light-showerproof-men-s-running-jacket/_/R-p-188671

I've got one of these and it packs down to the size of a mug. Not particularly breathable, but has taped seams and vents.

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 12:32:40 pm
My current down is a Berghaus synthetic offering (not the Leo Ulvetanna Hybrid but similar). I bought it with some vouchers from a UKC competition and thought I'd need to get something warmer for winter. However, I've not needed to. It packs down really well and initially did well with light showers (less so now but it has been heavily abused).

Really good layering seems to work for me:
Moon (Merino I think?) baselayer that I bought out of the CragX bargain bins for less than 2FAs. I'm not sure if these were actually made or samples at the time. I have several but one in particular is much better than the rest!
Optional Berghaus technical t-shirt that was a gift from Three Nine when he caught two back at a CWIF.
Arc'teryx Phase - I think these are an amazing layer.
Gilet - Old Marmot thing that's a bit dated but functions well. I regret giving back my CragX shop version.
Berghaus jacket (as described above).

Everywhere I climb (home and abroad, bouldering, sport and trad) is some combination of the above.

tomtom

• forum hero

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#14 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 12:50:33 pm
https://www.crux.uk.com/product/plasma-jacket

... if you can find one at 75% off full retail price

JJP

• addict
#15 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 12:54:49 pm
Hi 2T

I recently got the black diamond belay parka looking for a jacket good for belaying sport climbs in Scotland in Spring/ Autumn and for bouldering.  It does not tick all that you are looking for but I am really impressed with it.  Very warm (warmest jacket I have ever owned), slightly tougher shell than standard down.  Not water proof obviously but better in showers etc than down.  I think is very reasonably priced compared to equivalents from patagonia or phd which I was looking at (think I paid just under £200).  Sized pretty big to go over other layers so I downsized (im 6ft 3 and 77kg and medium fits well).

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#16 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 01:01:31 pm
Love the DAS parka but patagucci stiff for my top half fits really badly. Always baggy baggy baggy...

Alpkit looked ok.

RAB do a photon or something that looks alright

I think photon and similar would fail you in both durability of the outer and your waterproofness requirements. A lot of the winter and ice climbing stuff have very thin outers for weight saving.

What’s wrong with a baggy jacket for bouldering? More air trapped = more warmth. Think my ME Fitzroy (second recommendation for this) is XL 😄

Another thread entirely but worth bearing in mind the conditions under which garments might have been made if they are suspiciously cheap. Obvs not an issue with Alpkit and the like but not sure about the record of other cheap brands.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 01:09:17 pm
Love the DAS parka but patagucci stiff for my top half fits really badly. Always baggy baggy baggy...

I find this in quite a bit of American stuff. European XL usually means taller, America it usually means "Larger".

Shame the LT (Large Tall) size that is fairly common in wetsuit sizing hasn't made it into other clothes.

Bradders

• forum hero
#18 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 01:20:45 pm
I have one of these:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/correspondent-mens-down-padded-3-in-1-jacket-p20797.aspx/black/

It's great, love the flexibility of it, frequently wear just the down part and suspect when it warms up I'll use just the waterproof outer. Fits really well, solid waterproofing. Not as warm as a proper dedicated down jacket but does a great job on milder marginal days where you're never sure if you're going to get soaked or not.

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 02:24:12 pm
What’s wrong with a baggy jacket for bouldering? More air trapped = more warmth. Think my ME Fitzroy (second recommendation for this) is XL 😄

Baggy is also bad for heat IIRC... you want a small layer of air trapped to be the insulation - not a big volume of air swilling around between base layers and coat... In bed is your duvet/blanket snugglier when its closer to you than with a big air gap around?

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 02:35:10 pm
Without wishing to get too thick red socks and breeches; I also wanted a Buffalo Mountain  Shirt and bought one last year and think it ticks pretty much all the boxes you’re after., even if it only scrapes into budget by 5p.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:01:17 pm by gollum »

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 02:44:23 pm
Without wishing to get too thick red socks and breeches; I also wanted a Buffalo Mounrain Shirt and bought one last year and think it ticks pretty much all the boxes you’re after., even if it only scrapes into budget by 5p.

I've got a Montane jacket (elastic now gone) thats a bit like buffalo stuff. Pile lining and pertex shell. its great until it gets wet though - and its pretty heavy. Fine for pottering in the garden / playing with the lad in the park - but a bit of a burden on a long walk....

dunnyg

• forum hero
#22 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 02:52:13 pm
Proper unicorn stuff is this!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#24 Re: Bouldering Unicorn Jacket
April 09, 2021, 03:41:54 pm
I just layer up / strip accordingly, the jacket being mainly just for dryness.
Admittedly I tend to boulder in the middle of nowhere on my own, and can pull off the man in tights look

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal