UKBouldering.com

Thread split - travelling to go climbing (Read 3108 times)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
AJM: tbh I read it more as a tongue in cheek post, but equally, if RobK broke the law by climbing in Wales for an afternoon I don't really care at this stage of things. I would have cared a year ago (I remember being outraged at that dude sleeping at Raven Tor) but things have changed so markedly I don't get exercised about it anymore. I have definitely broken the law as well as the guidance at points over the least year, as I'm sure we all have.

RobK has also said that there were other primary reasons for his travel, which are none of anyone else's business. I don't think it's necessary to explain one's life story in order to take part in power club  :)

Anyway this feels a bit like picking on Rob, my objection to which was why i posted in the first place! The wider question is whether people are justified in disapproving of people travelling large but lawful distances to go climbing.

kac

• addict
Some of the responses make me sad too. Id like to see tomtom and Rob still keep posting. I think most people get there is a difference between the law and guidance and im fine with spidermonkeys position. However people generally  following the guidance is a good thing and to be dismissive of how those who are following the guidance will feel about reading about people driving all over the place is a shame. Perhaps there would be more balance for tomtom if people like me posted about how little they have done!

RobK

• stalker
AJM - if I'm being totally honest I don't actually know if this is guidance or law. I do know that I am allowed to, and do, cross the border multiple times a week to go food shopping, go to my local DIY store and local takeaway.

Interestingly, on the topic of Welsh/English restrictions, from April 12th a person living in Wales will not be allowed to go to their local wall/gym which won't be open until early May at the earliest. However they will be allowed to drive to say London and go indoor climbing there.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
AJM - if I'm being totally honest I don't actually know if this is guidance or law. I do know that I am allowed to, and do, cross the border multiple times a week to go food shopping, go to my local DIY store and local takeaway.

In Travel & Transport in the FAQs, exercise isn't listed as an exemption nor as a "if there's no reasonably practical alternative".
https://gov.wales/current-restrictions-frequently-asked-questions#section-67271

The BMC site says similar.
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/wales-lockdown-easing

However, you'd have to go back to the legislation to be sure, and since the Welsh border is ~2hrs from me I'm not sure I'm interested enough in the answer to find out!

petejh

• forum hero

Interestingly, on the topic of Welsh/English restrictions, from April 12th a person living in Wales will not be allowed to go to their local wall/gym which won't be open until early May at the earliest. However they will be allowed to drive to say London and go indoor climbing there.

Boardroom must be tearing their hair out in frustration! While the one in Ellesmere port will do well from N.Wales climbers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal