UKBouldering.com

Anyone own or use an Alpkit Project? (Read 2960 times)

Danny

• junky
Anyone own or use an Alpkit Project?
March 29, 2021, 08:16:39 pm
Hive mind. I'm in the market for a nice big highball pad with a decent carrying system (read: no velcro-ed straps and a waist band). If the Organic Backcountry wasn't so eye-wateringly expensive it would definitely fit the bill. I'm considering the Alpkit Project but I'm a bit wary about the placement of the back system (seems very low) and wonder what it's like to carry stuffed full of kit and/or with multiple other pads strapped to it? It's pretty much half the price of the Backcountry. Any other options I should consider?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Organic big pad? Same as Backcountry with a less fancy harness. I do find the shoulder strap can slide a bit in the lower position so have it in the upper bit where there is more contact area of velcro.

Bradders

• forum hero
Covered very recently here:

https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,28479.msg633492.html#msg633492

On the carry system I regularly strap anything up to a Moon Saturn to the back of mine plus stuff it with gear and other small pads, although not sure if they've now changed back to the original rucksack style system.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
I’ve got a project. I got one when they had simplified the carrying system.
Pros:
Pad itself seems pretty well made with good foam,
It’s Huge,
High carrying position is good on steep down hills (less likely to catch down edge and be thrown forwards)

Cons:
Shoulder straps pull through the inadequate Velcro patch when trying to get it on,
Shoulder straps attach around the underneath of the pad, making it very difficult to adjust them whilst under load,
It’s Huge. Check it fits in your car/van. My van is designed to to take loads of pads (can take 4 organic bigs comfortably) but the size of the project means it blocks up loads of the space for other pads
High carrying position is a nightmare in trees.
The closure hooks drop off.

I wouldn’t buy one with the simple carrying system, but with the original fancier rucksack style one I reckon they’re probably good value, if you can fit one in your vehicle.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Organic big pad? Same as Backcountry with a less fancy harness. I do find the shoulder strap can slide a bit in the lower position so have it in the upper bit where there is more contact area of velcro.

Seconded, I’ve carried three strapped together to the Bowderstone once, return trip to the car park was less successful due to leg failure not pad failure! 

If you have a particularly heavy load or long walk they do an extra padded waist strap, the Muffin Protector. This gets you half the way to the Backcountry super adjustable set up.

Danny

• junky
Thanks for the helpful info all. Just to clarify, I assume the back system on the current version of the Project is the shit one? Confused.It looks like the newest one is not velcro-ed but stitched.

I like the idea of a big Organic, though if the shoulder straps are velcro-ed it's gonna piss me right off. Always pulling through under load. My current smaller Organic is like this too.

Bradders

• forum hero
Yep just looked at the Alpkit website and the photos show it with the same back system as mine, in which case I highly recommend if you have the space in your car!

https://alpkit.com/products/project

Might still be worth an email to them to 100% confirm, as I genuinely just wouldn't buy it with the other carry system.

They were great when I got mine, it was out of stock on the website but a quick email and they sorted one out for me straight away.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

I like the idea of a big Organic, though if the shoulder straps are velcro-ed it's gonna piss me right off. Always pulling through under load. My current smaller Organic is like this too.

I’ve not had much issue with this with heavy loads, but when I’m carrying a lot I make a point of loading up the heavy rucksack way (sit down, both straps on, stand up) which means you’re not loading one strap on it’s own.

Would also be pretty straightforward to stitch the strap through into the webbing with some strong nylon thread to stop the issue completely.

Danny

• junky
Yep just looked at the Alpkit website and the photos show it with the same back system as mine, in which case I highly recommend if you have the space in your car!

https://alpkit.com/products/project

Might still be worth an email to them to 100% confirm, as I genuinely just wouldn't buy it with the other carry system.

They were great when I got mine, it was out of stock on the website but a quick email and they sorted one out for me straight away.

Thanks for the clarification Bradders.

Danny

• junky

I’ve not had much issue with this with heavy loads, but when I’m carrying a lot I make a point of loading up the heavy rucksack way (sit down, both straps on, stand up) which means you’re not loading one strap on it’s own.

Would also be pretty straightforward to stitch the strap through into the webbing with some strong nylon thread to stop the issue completely.

Good point regarding the fix. I actually had to repair my Ocun Dominator in this way as the strap attachment was pulling through the back of the pad. Again, mostly because of the loads involved. My Organic has been better, but if loaded up (+ 3 pads, sometimes + ladder too) the whole thing slides back and forth through the velcro as I walk.

andy_e

• forum hero

With the added benefit of getting you hench leg gainz

tomtom

• forum hero
Anyway - Alpkit are out of stock now 😁

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
IMO Petzl have the best solution to a decent carrying system that folds flat.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I like everything about the Petzl design except that it has a zip. Zips plus gritty mud just seems like a recipe for disaster. Their back system does look great though. https://m.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/Crashpads/CIRRO

They also appear to be out of stock everywhere unfortunately.

Duma

• forum hero
FWIW the gf has one of the big petzls, and I really don't like it. Carrying system is neat, but the foam isn't great, especially for the price (though in post Brexit world that may become more standard, it def was a "premium" option when she got it). Also for just lugging a few yards between boulders you're faced with either the faff of zipping it all up, or a single buckle and a shoulder strap which the pad isn't stiff enough for. My snap is better for absolutely everything except long walk ins

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal