UKBouldering.com

Building replica boulders (Read 4662 times)

User deactivated.

• forum hero
Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 10:21:43 am
Anyone tried this? Was it successful?

Suppose it's something that can be set on a board (similar angle), it's rarely dry and eats skin, and you can't currently do the individual moves. Which do you think could be most effective training, if any:

A. Set the exact same size holds and dimensions and try working it until it hopefully goes on wood, then go out and crush.

B. Set it with larger holds, train on this until it's consistent then reduce hold sizes gradually until you can do the replica, then go out and crush.

C. Forget it and try again when you're stronger, or never.

I have a feeling B might be more efficient.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 10:34:18 am
Anyone tried this? Was it successful?

Suppose it's something that can be set on a board (similar angle), it's rarely dry and eats skin, and you can't currently do the individual moves. Which do you think could be most effective training, if any:

A. Set the exact same size holds and dimensions and try working it until it hopefully goes on wood, then go out and crush.

B. Set it with larger holds, train on this until it's consistent then reduce hold sizes gradually until you can do the replica, then go out and crush.

C. Forget it and try again when you're stronger, or never.

I have a feeling B might be more efficient.

I had an idle day dream about this, lying on the pad on a sunny afternoon in Bovey woods. Wondering if there was a decent 3D scanner/printer combo out there, so I could “mould” the holds and print them and set up replica’s at work. Easy enough to take some measurements but plaster casting/epoxy forming moulds for the holds seems too much hassle.
I would guess there’s a market for doing this with certain classic problems and the tech must be *almost possible now.
Edit:
I had an idea involving cling film and epoxy putty for casting the moulds for the holds. Make a plug, then use a hobby type desktop CAM router to carve wooden replicas.

csl

• junky
#2 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 10:35:35 am
Dan Turner did a video about this .

I set lots of replicas on my board - but to be honest I mainly do it because it gets me psyched.

I tend to set each move with a few options, so I’ll have a cluster of holds which are vaguely similar to go to and I can vary the difficulty. I also set multiple problems which have similar movement to the goal route. I’m yet to see if this makes any difference in the real world though, either way it makes my board sessions far more enjoyable.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 10:42:39 am
This is pretty much all i do since i built my own wall and it has been very effective{before this i adapted things at my local Wall}.

I do not however set an entire problem{i suspect this would be impossible for most home walls} but focus on crux holds or movements.
I will train outside on similar moves or holds, set a fingerboard routine or training plan entirely round one project.

Is this Not what all climbers do when faced with a climb/route/problem that is at or just beyond their limit?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 10:47:14 am
Wondering if there was a decent 3D scanner/printer combo out there, so I could “mould” the holds and print them and set up replica’s at work. Easy enough to take some measurements but plaster casting/epoxy forming moulds for the holds seems too much hassle.
I would guess there’s a market for doing this with certain classic problems and the tech must be *almost possible now.
Edit:
I had an idea involving cling film and epoxy putty for casting the moulds for the holds. Make a plug, then use a hobby type desktop CAM router to carve wooden replicas.

Remember an old film of Squawk making foil mounds of the holds on Agincourt to make a training replica.

Surly a 3D printer would be easier to make them.

I've never set exactly for move/s on a specific problem, but sometimes set for a progressing on specific type of move I've struggled to do on a prob, I guess sort of what csl says.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 10:49:01 am
Bonus points if you're building a replica of Careless Torque  :2thumbsup:

abarro81

• forum hero
#6 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 10:50:55 am
Unless your proj is on a smooth overhanging wall at a similar angle to your board and with similar holds to those available, your replica will always be wrong.. so IMO it's best to generically train certain moves/holds. e.g. if you want to get better at LH deep lock off on a F3 edge then do lots of that; if you want to get better at reaching a RH undercut above your head then do lots of that. I.e. have lots of rough replicas, not just one. This also means you'll have some that are easy and some that are hard. Should probably caveat that I've only ever made replicas for routes, not boulders.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#7 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 11:06:47 am
6 replies and no one posted this.
Mala tempora currunt.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 11:13:53 am
Who you calling a currunt?

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#9 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 11:20:30 am
Dan Turner did a video about this .

Sold

Unless your proj is on a smooth overhanging wall at a similar angle to your board and with similar holds to those available, your replica will always be wrong.. so IMO it's best to generically train certain moves/holds. e.g. if you want to get better at LH deep lock off on a F3 edge then do lots of that; if you want to get better at reaching a RH undercut above your head then do lots of that. I.e. have lots of rough replicas, not just one. This also means you'll have some that are easy and some that are hard. Should probably caveat that I've only ever made replicas for routes, not boulders.

I like your advice regards particular moves. Fortunately my potential project is on the satellite boulder which is reasonably smooth, crimpy and 40 degrees overhanging. My board is only a few degrees bit steeper, so the only challenge might be length! it could work if I start the problem very low or set it in 2 halves.

That ones going up the side of my house, I've got a lovely arete to work with!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#10 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 11:29:21 am
Dave Mac made a Practice replica, quite a nice little vid.

Under a Full Moon would be one of the easiest board replicas to build!

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 11:59:23 am

If that's the case then practice jumping off a garage/roof at varying heights to replicate those big falls.

Bradders

• forum hero
#12 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 12:00:15 pm
Wondering if there was a decent 3D scanner/printer combo out there, so I could “mould” the holds and print them and set up replica’s at work. Easy enough to take some measurements but plaster casting/epoxy forming moulds for the holds seems too much hassle.
Edit:

Remember an old film of Squawk making foil mounds of the holds on Agincourt to make a training replica.

Surly a 3D printer would be easier to make them.

I've never set exactly for move/s on a specific problem, but sometimes set for a progressing on specific type of move I've struggled to do on a prob, I guess sort of what csl says.

The Japanese climbers who were trying Burden of Dreams did exactly this.

Under a Full Moon would be one of the easiest board replicas to build!

I had a replica of this on my last board. Should really get it on the new one, especially as I never did manage all of the moves (on either the replica or the real thing!).

webbo

• forum hero
#13 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 12:17:12 pm
I once made a replica of a problem at the Leeds wall on my board. :-[

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#14 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 12:50:09 pm
I had a replica of this on my last board. Should really get it on the new one, especially as I never did manage all of the moves (on either the replica or the real thing!).

Second move is flipping nails, need to get back there after Monday!

Bradders

• forum hero
#15 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 01:11:04 pm
Third move too! Packs a lot of difficulty into three moves. At least the first is steady  :lol:

36chambers

• forum hero
#16 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 02:03:40 pm

Second move is flipping nails, need to get back there after Monday!

I went there on Tuesday but the big low footholds were seeping, even the LH crimp was a bit damp at the back. Was quite surprised as I don't think it had rain for several days beforehand. Was it all fine on Monday then?

It's been a long while since I last tried it, but I think I was matching (possibly with just two fingers) before doing the move to the RH gaston thing. I think it took a good bit of string out of the crank.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#17 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 02:25:37 pm
It was dry yesterday but the other problems we're mostly wet - geminid trail was soaking. Nice to know there's little chance of this one getting the downgrade treatment judging from the comments

Bradders

• forum hero
#18 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 02:42:27 pm
I went there on Tuesday but the big low footholds were seeping, even the LH crimp was a bit damp at the back. Was quite surprised as I don't think it had rain for several days beforehand.

I think it just takes loads of seepage from the hill behind it. So any rainfall takes a while to actually seep through.

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 06:29:02 pm
I’ve a Press replica on my board.

Probably should start using it again as it’ll soon be time for another year...

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#20 Re: Building replica boulders
March 26, 2021, 07:29:03 pm
I've dabbled with replica's, either indulging as part of my job (I work and set at the Beacon) or more recently on a kilter board.
The best results have been from more generic things like crack machines. In fact I'm toying with building another at the moment.

Bradders

• forum hero

CapitalistPunter

• addict

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal