the shizzle > food & drink

Rum - The fun drink!

<< < (5/5)

Durbs:

--- Quote from: moose on March 25, 2021, 08:57:58 pm ---I think the best rum I've had was the Foursquare 11 Year Old - lovely and rich.  I really liked Zaya too - perhaps too sweet for some but I thought it had depth without being too teeth-aching.  Plantation XO Barbados Rum was mighty rich and complex.  I once had a bottle of St Nicholas Abbey 5 y.o, which while very good wasn't exactly value.

Also, a shout out for the "Rhum Agricoles" of the ex-French islands.  Rhums are distilled from a mash derived from cane juice, rather than the molasses used by most other rum producing areas.  They tend to have weird, funky, vegetal flavours, as well as the usual caramel sweetness etc.  That might sound unappetizing but they can be really good - you could regard them as the Islay Whiskies of the rum world - perhaps an acquired taste but great if acquired.  A few favourites rhums I recall are Barbancourt 15 y.o, Rhum J.M XO, and Clement Rhum Vieux XO.

I'm also partial to Pusser's Navy Rum - the Blue Label or preferably the Gunpower Proof, if in need of some straightforward fire in the belly (my day job is boarding ships, armed with a cutlass).  Gosling's Black Seal is good mixing rum for a dark'n'stormy etc.

A decent source of reviews:

https://thelonecaner.com/

--- End quote ---

Foursquare are the brand of choice at the moment - slightly to the extreme in that their regular "Exceptional Cask Selection" now sell out within minutes in the UK and are flipped for profits within weeks, whereas 2 years ago you could buy them months after release.
They do have some regular expressions which are all delicious; Doorly's, McCoy and Rum SixtySix 12 are all great.

Mount Gay likewise another great Barbados Rum. Black Barrel used to be my go-to sipper, but they've just tweaked the blend which has made it nicer, but also hiked the price by £7.

Appleton 12 (and 8) has now taken that mantle.

I usually say pot still rums are the islay whiskies of the world; strong nose, really pungent, but deep and wonderful.
The Worthy Park overproof is wonderful, as are the Hampden Estate releases.

Rhum Agricole's a very different product and flavour profile - there's not many I like as find most too grassy. Rhum Depaz is nice (but pricey), HSE have some nice expressions too. Was blown away by the Engenho do Norte release by That Boutique-y Rum company, delicious stuff, but it's rare I buy a bottle (except in Font - the French love a rhum...)

Pusser's is lovely, but revisited the Gunpower Proof in a pub "recently" and was surprised how sweet it was.
Black Tot rum are a decent honest navy style, good price.

Other great UK blends are Merser Double Barrel and Thameside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version