the shizzle > food & drink

Rum - The fun drink!

<< < (3/5) > >>

SA Chris:

--- Quote from: Durbs on March 25, 2021, 11:18:11 am ---
Or, more interestingly - were any of you whisky-drinkers aware that "nice rum" existed to be sipped neat and savoured as much as any whisky?

--- End quote ---

There's also sipping Tequila too, not all about shots and mixes.

Duma:

--- Quote from: Durbs on March 25, 2021, 01:13:29 pm ---Heathens ;)

--- End quote ---

I have a memory when I was around 12 of my parents taking every empty container on board to the distillery in Paramaribo, apparently you just chose dark or light and they filled them from a tap...

northern yob:
The oldest El Dorado your budget allows, for the truly authentic experience it should be swigged from the bottle in 35 degree heat with 100% humidity.

Durbs:

--- Quote from: SA Chris on March 25, 2021, 02:05:33 pm ---There's also sipping Tequila too, not all about shots and mixes.

--- End quote ---

Good tequila is a lovely thing!

Durbs:

--- Quote from: northern yob on March 25, 2021, 02:29:11 pm ---The oldest El Dorado your budget allows, for the truly authentic experience it should be swigged from the bottle in 35 degree heat with 100% humidity.

--- End quote ---

El Dorado add quite a bit of sugar to all their rums (except the youngest oddly)
Their 21 YO has less sugar than their 12/15YO but it's still pretty sweetened.

There's a lot of dosing/rounding in the murky world of rum as some people expect rum to be sweet

Unlike whisky, there's no global rules around rum - they're typically defined by their country of origin; Jamaica, Barbados and (I think) Antigua won't let you call your product Jamaican/Barbabos/Antiguan Rum if it's had sugar added.
You can take these rums and add sugar to them, but then they're just "rum".

You also see this a lot in the "premium" brands; Ron Zacapa being particularly guilty of dumping in the sugar.

Same applies for age statements - some countries the year on the bottle is oldest in the blend, others the youngest.
Some you can put whatever you want, especially if it's a solera.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version